• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Number 400 ?

irfan

State Captain
After Mitchell Johnson became the 398th player to wear the baggy green, who do you think will be No.400 ??

With the volume of tests Australia is playing, they are more than likely to have injuries to their fast men rather than their batsman.

So I reckon Hilfenhaus should be 399 & Noffke 400 (as a bowling AR) - don't see any other potential candidates (Rogers, D Hussey (who the selectors seem to despise for some reason ??), Heal, Henriques etc.) getting a game in the near future.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Noffke is still an outside-shot to get a cap TBH. Mind, if Shaun Young and Scott Muller can, he certainly can.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Hilf will be around there, but it really is too hard to determine, though one thing must be said is that Australia is less likely to pull a suprise selection compared to other nations and their selections in the ODI circuit.

I can only see Hilf in the near future being selected and if any other injuries do come up, the likes of Watson, Hodge and Katich will snap up the places and for the bowlers, Tait, Cullen and maybe even Dizzy will come back in the frame.

So summing up, Hilf most likely for 399 and 400 is anyone's guess.

My 2 cents: Noffke won't wear the whites. Possibly the colours, but not the whites.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
399. Hilfenhaus
400. Haddin

Mr Casson and I discussed this well over a year ago and his opinion at the time was Cosgrove and mine was Hartley. How thing's change.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, would have to say Noffke is a big chance of getting the 400, although it could be anyone.

Noffke is still an outside-shot to get a cap TBH. Mind, if Shaun Young and Scott Muller can, he certainly can.
This is a poor representation of Scott Muller. He was a gun bowler, his bowling ability has been let down by the Warne comment and Muller's handling of the situation. But, the fact is he deserved his chance, and he didn't bowl that badly when he had it. Can't believe he gets brought up when guys like Nicholson, Wilson and Cook were not even close to the class of Muller. Shaun Young on the other hand.

Craig

World Traveller
Actually Noffke has been in career best form this season, so you never know if somebody breaks down.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
If somebody breaks down Hilfenhaus and Tait are next in line. I wouldn't be surprised if they got Bracken into the baggy green before Noffke. I think it's more likely that someone like Haddin or Rogers will come in if their superiors get injured.

irfan

State Captain
399. Hilfenhaus
400. Haddin

Mr Casson and I discussed this well over a year ago and his opinion at the time was Cosgrove and mine was Hartley. How thing's change.
Oh yea forgot bout Haddin. Probably only get a chance next year at the earliest.

If somebody breaks down Hilfenhaus and Tait are next in line. I wouldn't be surprised if they got Bracken into the baggy green before Noffke. I think it's more likely that someone like Haddin or Rogers will come in if their superiors get injured.
Restricted to uncapped players.

andyc

Haha, was thinking about making this exact thread today, then I remembered that I cbf making threads.

I guess a fastbowler would be more likely to break down than a batsman, so Hilfy's probably going to be 399, which makes me think that Stedman could be on to something with Haddin. When you think about it though, the team's fairly set; the last debutant was Cullen in 05/06, and that was against Bangladesh, so it might be a while before the 400th actually gets a run. But when you think about it, most of those waiting in the wings have already debuted; Watson, Tait, Bracken, Hodge, even Gillespie and Katich.

Johnners

Hilfenhaus, Haddin & Rogers are the next in line to make their debuts imo (in that order too) so Haddin will be 400 for mine.

Craig

World Traveller
It is staggering how long it has taken Australia to not yet get to 400 and yet England has well over 600 Test capped players. How many of them (English) are either one-cap wonders or should have never been picked in the first place?

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
It is staggering how long it has taken Australia to not yet get to 400 and yet England has well over 600 Test capped players. How many of them (English) are either one-cap wonders or never picked in the first place?
:blink:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It is staggering how long it has taken Australia to not yet get to 400 and yet England has well over 600 Test capped players. How many of them (English) are either one-cap wonders or never picked in the first place?
I thought that exact same thing when I saw the thread, anglocentric pom that I am. I'd guess we've probably played more tests than Oz (but it's only a guess), but it still shows the greater importance that Australia puts on test caps than ourselves. Although 18 counties v 6 states is also a factor, obv.

Anyway, as a guess Haddin seems as good as any based on fast-bowlers being more likely to break down than keepers means Hilfenhaus (sp?) will probably nab 399. Has Gilly missed a test since his debut, btw? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Fair effort if not.

Craig

World Traveller
I thought that exact same thing when I saw the thread, anglocentric pom that I am. I'd guess we've probably played more tests than Oz (but it's only a guess), but it still shows the greater importance that Australia puts on test caps than ourselves. Although 18 counties v 6 states is also a factor, obv.

Anyway, as a guess Haddin seems as good as any based on fast-bowlers being more likely to break down than keepers means Hilfenhaus (sp?) will probably nab 399. Has Gilly missed a test since his debut, btw? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Fair effort if not.
Gilchrist has never missed a Test which is remarkable :mellow:

IIRC Mark Waugh has the record for most contestive Tests played.

bond21

Banned
A lot of players from england at least recently have been flops at international level...ie geraint jones.

Not many Australian test players have been flops not due to injury. Matthew Elliott was tipped to score 5000 test runs or something but got injured too much.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
BE McGain, would LOL if I was right.

Tour of Pakistan and Hogg or MacGill injuried. McGain makes the squad as 3rd spinner after Cullen keeps bowling pie, Heal never gets a game. McGain ends up the leading wicket takers out of the spinners. Gets thrown into a Test as 2nd spinner after a couple injuries on tour.