• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Now is the time: Who is Pakistan's best batsman? Miandad vs. Inzamam vs. Younis Khan

subshakerz

International Coach
Younis Khan completed his tour in Australia with a fine hundred, ensuring he has a record as complete as any Pakistani batsman before him. Which begs the questions, where does he rank in the Pakistan batting hierarchy?

I give Miandad a lot of credit as he established a great record in an era where fast bowling standards we slightly higher than in the 2000s. He had a bit of a dodgy record against the WI but answered many critics with back to back hundreds in 87-88.

Inzi has always seemed to me to be a bit overrated. In the 90s, Saeed Anwar seemed a better bat for me, and his record against both Australia and South Africa is below par.

Younis has a strong case, except for SA, he averages well everywhere and has had nearly a decade of prolonged good form. He has a great 4th innings record and major matchwinning double tons in India and England.

If push comes to shove, I think I would put it as Miandad, Younis and Inzi.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd still say Miandad over Younis, though Younis has overtaken Inzy.
Agree with this, Miandad for me.

I'd be interested what most Pakistani fans (perhaps older ones who have seen both) would think. I have a feeling most would say Miandad.

Played in very different eras of course & I don't ever remember Miandad looking completely inept and out of sorts like Younus has looked on tours of NZ.

OverratedSanity

Younis is so much better than Inzi at this point that it's not even funny. He's done more than enough to be better than Miandad too.

OverratedSanity

Agree with this, Miandad for me.

I'd be interested what most Pakistani fans (perhaps older ones who have seen both) would think. I have a feeling most would say Miandad.

Played in very different eras of course & I don't ever remember Miandad looking completely inept and out of sorts like Younus has looked on tours of NZ.
Younis did fine on his first tour of NZ. It's only this one where he was terrible. Miandad averages in the 20s vs West Indies and his one big hundred vs Lillee was in a game that was meandering to a draw. While Younis hasn't faced on average, the same quality of bowling, I reckon he's done enough.

Zinzan

Younis did fine on his first tour of NZ. It's only this one where he was terrible. Miandad averages in the 20s vs West Indies and his one big hundred vs Lillee was in a game that was meandering to a draw. While Younis hasn't faced on average, the same quality of bowling, I reckon he's done enough.
As I said, will be interesting how most Pakistani cricket historians who saw both careers see it.

Blocky

Banned
Miandad; superb player during a period of cricket that was extremely tough to score runs - Yousuf Youhana/Mohammad Yousuf unlucky not to get a mention here tbf though.

Zinzan

Thought this comment by someone under the article was good.

I have seen all of these players live! And even though, each one has his own place in history. But when Miandad came to the crease, whatever the odds were at that given time, there was always hope! Pakistan had always a chance to turn the tables on the opposition when Miandad was batting. And he let the opposition know that he was there to beat them. He was never afraid to take the fight to the competition! And in that era, more often than not, he prevailed! So my choice as Pakistan's greatest is none other than the inimitable Javed Miandad.

Blocky

Banned
Nicholas likes to wax lyrical about current players, especially those doing something in Australia. He's a great writer, but he's lost the plot when it comes to objective commentary and historical nouse for where players sit in the pecking order.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Thought this comment by someone under the article was good.

I have seen all of these players live! And even though, each one has his own place in history. But when Miandad came to the crease, whatever the odds were at that given time, there was always hope! Pakistan had always a chance to turn the tables on the opposition when Miandad was batting. And he let the opposition know that he was there to beat them. He was never afraid to take the fight to the competition! And in that era, more often than not, he prevailed! So my choice as Pakistan's greatest is none other than the inimitable Javed Miandad.
That sums him up perfectly - regarding his level as a batsman he was closer to Viv and the fake AB than YK is to the greats of his generation.