• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No Asian Representation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mister Wright said:
Technically Australia's native culture is that of Wallaby, Dingo, Koala and Platypus. The Aboriginies migrated from Asia how ever many years ago - they were not the first people of the land, they just happened to get here first. I can assure you that if they had of they probably would have killed or fought to stay here (back then it was survival of the fitest). However, that does not excuse the way they were treated by the English whites when they got here.
Time Asia magazine had a cover story a few years ago how the Aboriginies were still treated poorly in Australia in all walks of life.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
Time Asia magazine had a cover story a few years ago how the Aboriginies were still treated poorly in Australia in all walks of life.
Yeah, but it is a lot better than it was 40-50 years ago.

Scallywag

Banned
Pratyush said:
Yes a lot of people that imigrate to Australia treat the Aboriginies without any respect, the Asians are particulary very bad for it.

Shounak

Banned
Scallywag said:
Yes a lot of people that imigrate to Australia treat the Aboriginies without any respect, the Asians are particulary very bad for it.
Where the hell did you get this snippet of information from?

Slow Love™

International Captain
shounak said:
Just don't bother. He's cricketweb's answer to Alf Garnett.

BTW, I think the original question posed was answered pretty well by Entrael earlier in the thread.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't think this is uniquely Australian. Britain has had a pretty sizable minority of Chinese extraction established from the late 40s onwards. We've had numerous players of sub-continental Asian origin playing for England & the counties, but I honestly cannot think of one English first-class cricketer of Chinese/Japanese/Korean extraction.

Unless one counts the Hong Kong-born coke-hoover Dermot Reeve, of course!! :p

Seriously tho, the only major British sportsmen of Chinese antecedents I can think of are Rugby Union's Underwood brothers.

Scallywag

Banned
shounak said:
Anyone that lives in Australia will tell you there is no intermingling of Aborigine and Asian people.except for the gang wars between Asian and Aborigine teenagers in Perth.

Asian Australians do not mix with aboriginies and that is a fact.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
Anyone that lives in Australia will tell you there is no intermingling of Aborigine and Asian people.except for the gang wars between Asian and Aborigine teenagers in Perth.

Asian Australians do not mix with aboriginies and that is a fact.
Hell, I'm probably a racist because I don't have any Aboriginal friends. Never mind that I've never had the opportunity to meet people of Aboriginal descent, especially considering they've been almost decimated over the years - but, according to you, I must be a racist.

8-) 8-) 8-)

...and Scallywag, shounak lives in Australia and isn't a one-eyed troll such as yourself so he would be quite qualified to know.

Last edited:

Scallywag

Banned
Dasa said:
8-) 8-) 8-)

...and Scallywag, shounak lives in Australia and isn't a one-eyed troll such as yourself so he would be quite qualified to know.
I'm all ears so lets hear shounak tell us how it is between Aboriginies and Asians.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Technically Australia's native culture is that of Wallaby, Dingo, Koala and Platypus. The Aboriginies migrated from Asia how ever many years ago - they were not the first people of the land, they just happened to get here first. I can assure you that if they had of they probably would have killed or fought to stay here (back then it was survival of the fitest). However, that does not excuse the way they were treated by the English whites when they got here.
You sure talk with a lot of certainty about something which is anthropologically still up in the air.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Top_Cat said:
You sure talk with a lot of certainty about something which is anthropologically still up in the air.
You talk with a lot of certainty using a word that's ****ing long.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
While I do understand the point many people are trying to make here, I think it's a bit facetious to suggest that Australia has no "native culture" aside from that specific to aboriginals. White settlers have been living in Australia for almost 250 years, and obviously have developed a "native culture" of their own. There are many, many things which are recognisable as "Australian culture" specifically which have little if anything to do with Aboriginal culture, just like there are things recognisable as "American culture" which have nothing to do with native americans, or "Brazilian culture" which is in fact specific mostly to the decendants of Spanish invaders.

If anything, I think it's a bit unfair on people who might immigrate into Australia and feel excluded to suggest that there is no Australian culture to feel excluded from. I do actually think that one of the reasons that Asian immigrants do not play sports like cricket, AFL and rugby very much IS a lack of personal association with Australian culture. I don't think it's anything to do with them doing the wrong thing or being unwilling to assimilate or anything, but it seems quite obvious to me that many people immigrating into Australia from different cultural backgrounds will feel excluded and find elements of Austrlaian culture alien to them and therefore not choose to participate in them. It's not at all limited to Asian immigrants, either. Immigrants from european backgrounds are more likely to play soccer than cricket, for example. I'd also suggest Asian immigrants of the first generation may be more likely to spend Boxing Day in their own way, rather than wearing a wifebeater, knocking back a couple of VB and firing up the barbie before a relaxing day watching the cricket on TV.

Shounak

Banned
Scallywag said:
I'm all ears so lets hear shounak tell us how it is between Aboriginies and Asians.
Just because there is no intermingling between Asians and Aborigines does not mean that relations between the two are bad. I also don't have any Aboriginal friends. Can you infer from this that I "treat Aboriginies without any respect". Hell NO.

I live in suburban Melbourne, Victoria. The percentage of people of Aboriginal descent in my entire state is 0.5%. I don't know the exact percentage in Melbourne, but it would tiny. Therefore, my limited interactions with people of Aboriginal descent can be attributed to a lack of numbers, rather then "lack of respect".

Also, there hasn't been any research studies done that I know of, looking at race relations between Aboriginals and Asians. So it would be unfair to comment on interactions between Asians and Aborigines. 2.2% of the Australian population are of Aboriginal descent. I'm guessing the Asian figure is about 5% (correct me if I'm wrong). 25.1% of these Aboriginal people also live in NT, most Asian people would be living in major cities. There is very little room for interaction if you think of these figures.

And that whole thing about gang wars is irrelevant. I'm sure in Sydney many of the Lebanese teenage gangs have been in "gang wars" with their Vietnamese counterparts. Does that mean Lebanese people treat Vietnamese without any respect or vice versa? Hardly. It's just a bunch of violent teenagers. Nothing more.

So I agree that there is little to no mixing between Asian and Aboriginal people. But I would like you to qualify your remark
Scallywag said:
I got all my stats from this census page

Shounak

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
While I do understand the point many people are trying to make here, I think it's a bit facetious to suggest that Australia has no "native culture" aside from that specific to aboriginals. White settlers have been living in Australia for almost 250 years, and obviously have developed a "native culture" of their own. There are many, many things which are recognisable as "Australian culture" specifically which have little if anything to do with Aboriginal culture, just like there are things recognisable as "American culture" which have nothing to do with native americans, or "Brazilian culture" which is in fact specific mostly to the decendants of Spanish invaders.

If anything, I think it's a bit unfair on people who might immigrate into Australia and feel excluded to suggest that there is no Australian culture to feel excluded from. I do actually think that one of the reasons that Asian immigrants do not play sports like cricket, AFL and rugby very much IS a lack of personal association with Australian culture. I don't think it's anything to do with them doing the wrong thing or being unwilling to assimilate or anything, but it seems quite obvious to me that many people immigrating into Australia from different cultural backgrounds will feel excluded and find elements of Austrlaian culture alien to them and therefore not choose to participate in them. It's not at all limited to Asian immigrants, either. Immigrants from european backgrounds are more likely to play soccer than cricket, for example. I'd also suggest Asian immigrants of the first generation may be more likely to spend Boxing Day in their own way, rather than wearing a wifebeater, knocking back a couple of VB and firing up the barbie before a relaxing day watching the cricket on TV.
Exactly, and to further add to that. Asian parents can hardly be blamed for not enrolling their children in a sport they know nothing of. I've been playing cricket since I could pretty much walk. I first joined a club when I was 9. I can attribute this to my cricket mad dad who had a huge interest in the game.

Would someone born in China/Malaysia/Vietnam have enough interest in the game to 1. Enrol their children at an early age and 2. Be committed to stand around watching a game they haven't been brought up around for days on end. The lack of Asian representation isn't even a lack of adopting Australian culture. A lot of subcontinentals do not adopt anything about the modern Australian culture but are cricket mad, due to their love of the game.

We should just let time take its course and see what happens...

Scallywag

Banned
shounak said:
Just because there is no intermingling between Asians and Aborigines does not mean that relations between the two are bad. I also don't have any Aboriginal friends. Can you infer from this that I "treat Aboriginies without any respect". Hell NO.

I live in suburban Melbourne, Victoria. The percentage of people of Aboriginal descent in my entire state is 0.5%. I don't know the exact percentage in Melbourne, but it would tiny. Therefore, my limited interactions with people of Aboriginal descent can be attributed to a lack of numbers, rather then "lack of respect".

Also, there hasn't been any research studies done that I know of, looking at race relations between Aboriginals and Asians. So it would be unfair to comment on interactions between Asians and Aborigines. 2.2% of the Australian population are of Aboriginal descent. I'm guessing the Asian figure is about 5% (correct me if I'm wrong). 25.1% of these Aboriginal people also live in NT, most Asian people would be living in major cities. There is very little room for interaction if you think of these figures.

And that whole thing about gang wars is irrelevant. I'm sure in Sydney many of the Lebanese teenage gangs have been in "gang wars" with their Vietnamese counterparts. Does that mean Lebanese people treat Vietnamese without any respect or vice versa? Hardly. It's just a bunch of violent teenagers. Nothing more.

So I agree that there is little to no mixing between Asian and Aboriginal people. But I would like you to qualify your remark

I got all my stats from this census page
Dasa stated you are qualified to know about this issue. I have a immense contact with Aboriginies including family and know first hand how the Asian community does not intermingle with the Aboriginie community. So I was interested in you qualifications on this issue.

Shounak

Banned
Scallywag said:
Dasa stated you are qualified to know about this issue. I have a immense contact with Aboriginies including family and know first hand how the Asian community does not intermingle with the Aboriginie community. So I was interested in you qualifications on this issue.
By qualifications Dasa meant that I'm a person of Asian (Indian) descent living in Australia. What were you expecting, a PhD in Asian-Aboriginal relations??

This whole thing about the Asian community actively not mixing with the aboriginal community is crap. I'll agree with it to the extent that Asians do stick together. That's why we have Chinatowns and the strong retention of culture. These Asians probably don't mix very strongly with other ethnic groups either.

You may have one or two "horror" stories about Aboriginals being treated with "no respect" by one or two members of an Asian community, but you can't apply
it to Asians in general.

Just out of interest, where are you from in Aus?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
FaaipDeOiad said:
rather than wearing a wifebeater, knocking back a couple of VB and firing up the barbie before a relaxing day watching the cricket on TV.
Must say this thread is giving a good insight into modern multi cultural Australia. But what is a wfiebeater, 'firing a barbie' :)

Shounak

Banned
Pratyush said:
Must say this thread is giving a good insight into modern multi cultural Australia. But what is a wfiebeater, 'firing a barbie' :)
A wife beater is a singlet, usually blue or white. You'd probably call it a genji. Firing up the barbie is turning on a barbeque. Usually putting sausages and chops on it. And Shrimps of course.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
shounak said:
A wife beater is a singlet, usually blue or white. You'd probably call it a genji. Firing up the barbie is turning on a barbeque. Usually putting sausages and chops on it. And Shrimps of course.
Just as an aside, round my way "Wifebeater" (usually shoretned to " 'beater ") is the colloquial term for Stella Artois, a Belgian lager of greater than 5% ABV.

Carry on. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.