• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nicky Peng quits First Class Cricket at 24.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/counties/glamorgan/6901237.stm

Feel pretty :( tbh. 24 is no age to be retiring from sport and it just seems as tjhough he lost all confidence and motivation in his cricket. He was considered a prodigy in his teenage years and maybe this put added pressure on him to deliver consistent performances. For as long I've been watching and following cricket Nicky Peng's name has always come up as someone (talked about by coaches and ex players)as being being extremely talented.

All I can say is I wish him good luck and happiness in his future life. :)

Last edited:

open365

International Vice-Captain
He was no where near being a child prodigy from what i've heard and seen of him, quite frankly i'm suprised he got a two year contract despite averaging in the 20s his whole life.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well he did do rather well...when he was 17 years old. :mellow:
Yep, as a Durham fan his performances got worse from there to the extent where he was a walking wicket. Occasionally he'd do something in limited overs cricket, but that was about it.

Jungle Jumbo

Almost his whole reputation was built around that debut knock. Can't say I'm really disappointed to see him go, I'm afraid. One less poor standard county pro knocking about.

open365

Not meaning to be stereotypical, but in all probability he's probably an arrogant tit with a giant ego, most good players are, i'm not that bothered to see him quit, after all, there are tonnes of second team players that get knocked of the books and have to find something else to do.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
If nothing else, this story proves how a good debut performance is no guide to the future and can become a millstone round your neck. Funny that this is not the first highly rated young Durham batsman to retire early - this also happened to a guy called Michael Gough who is now trying to become an umpire.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
If nothing else, this story proves how a good debut performance is no guide to the future and can become a millstone round your neck. Funny that this is not the first highly rated young Durham batsman to retire early - this also happened to a guy called Michael Gough who is now trying to become an umpire.
If my memory serves me right, Michael Gough was doing some third umpiring in the 20/20's.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Almost his whole reputation was built around that debut knock. Can't say I'm really disappointed to see him go, I'm afraid. One less poor standard county pro knocking about.
Agreed and maybe some of his ex team-mates might get a hint from Peng, for he was hardly the worst pro knocking around at Glamogran.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not meaning to be stereotypical, but in all probability he's probably an arrogant tit with a giant ego, most good players are, i'm not that bothered to see him quit, after all, there are tonnes of second team players that get knocked of the books and have to find something else to do.
He's not, he's a lovely kid and while he was clearly hyped as something he wasn't Dad's very disappointed at the news as at one point he genuinely looked like he might make a career in cricket.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Dead set worst post.