• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand's succession plan

Njabulo langa

Cricket Spectator
Hey ,long time lurker first time poster as im watching the newzealand vs England test i cant help but wonder if new Zealand has a succession plan cause if you think about it most of their golden generation ( taylor watling de grandhomme wagner will be the first wave to retire then latham williamson nicholls satner boult and southee will retire round about the same time and as weve seen with many teams losing lots of greats and solid international players round about the same time can have seriously adverse effects on a team

ataraxia

International Coach
I've been wondering similar things but there's still a long period left for new players to emerge.

Njabulo langa

Cricket Spectator
Perhaps after the world t20 and with the world cup gone they can use games against your weaker teams to introduce new talents like finn allen or ravindra jadeja to international cricket

Chrish

International Debutant
NZ will loose their main players in quick succession. So, this is a fair question.

I am glad India is touring them before that happens. Will be cracker of a series.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Pretty sure we've got some guys getting international exposure for that first wave, and then we've got like 5-6 years at least for that second wave.

We'll be fine.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
There's no doubt we're losing a significant amount when Ross goes (probably in the next 18 months), BJ in probably the same time period and Wagner potentially around that time too. Absolutely the replacements aren't where those guys are at, but Will Young (for Ross), Blundell (for BJ) and Lochie Ferguson (for Wagner) are three guys who have already proven themselves at international cricket. Then if you're talking CDG, Neesham should be able to walk into that spot as well.

Southee and Boult are 30 and should have 3 or so more years left at least, although the former I have my doubts about. Henry should take his spot. Then you have the likes of Latham, Nicholls, Santner who are 27/28 and have the best years of their career to look forward to, and obviously Kane as well who isn't 30 yet.

I think we're in a great spot, Test wise. Even ODI wise, I think we've got a very strong second tier (if you want to call it that) who have been exposed to international cricket and done well.

ataraxia

International Coach
There's no doubt we're losing a significant amount when Ross goes (probably in the next 18 months), BJ in probably the same time period and Wagner potentially around that time too. Absolutely the replacements aren't where those guys are at, but Will Young (for Ross), Blundell (for BJ) and Lochie Ferguson (for Wagner) are three guys who have already proven themselves at international cricket. Then if you're talking CDG, Neesham should be able to walk into that spot as well.

Southee and Boult are 30 and should have 3 or so more years left at least, although the former I have my doubts about. Henry should take his spot. Then you have the likes of Latham, Nicholls, Santner who are 27/28 and have the best years of their career to look forward to, and obviously Kane as well who isn't 30 yet.

I think we're in a great spot, Test wise. Even ODI wise, I think we've got a very strong second tier (if you want to call it that) who have been exposed to international cricket and done well.
Young hasn't exactly proven himself in international cricket.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Young hasn't exactly proven himself in international cricket.
No that's potentially not quite the way I should have worded it, but he has scored runs against a very strong Australian side. And also has NZ A runs, does he not?

Flem274*

123/5
latham
rachin
kane
young
nicholls
blundell
neesham
santa (just noticed when going through names he's the youngest of our spinners by a mile)
southee
ferguson
boult

i think that's your 2023 side. could easily see seifert, phillips, conway in there too.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hey ,long time lurker first time poster as im watching the newzealand vs England test i cant help but wonder if new Zealand has a succession plan cause if you think about it most of their golden generation ( taylor watling de grandhomme wagner will be the first wave to retire then latham williamson nicholls satner boult and southee will retire round about the same time and as weve seen with many teams losing lots of greats and solid international players round about the same time can have seriously adverse effects on a team
There’s a fair bit of variance amongst the ages of the guys you list there, so I don’t think it’s quite right to say that everyone will be retiring around the same time:
Taylor 35
Watling 34
CdG 33
Wagner 33
Boult 30
Southee 30
Williamson 29
Nicholls 28
Latham 27
Santner 27

You are correct though that there are 2 significant waves of retirements coming:
1) Watling, CdG and Wagner (almost certainly sometime in the next 2 years); and
2) Boult, Southee and Williamson (probably in about 5 years time).

The succession planning for the first wave looks pretty solid. NZ has - in Ferguson, Blundell, Neesham and Young - players who’ve had a lot of success in NZA and limited overs internationals. There are also several other promising youngsters like Rachin Ravindra and Nathan Smith who in a couple of years’ time could be well placed to challenge for the allrounders spot.

The succession for the 2nd wave looks a lot more uncertain, unsurprisingly given it represents 3 of NZ’s greatest ever test cricketers. Matt Henry will I think be able to do a decent job replacing Southee with the new ball for a couple of years, but there are no obvious replacements for Boult and certainly no one likely to be capable of Williamson’s greatness. Fortunately, 5 years is a long time for youngsters to emerge and develop. As mentioned, Rachin Ravindra is one player who may well be in position to take over Williamson’s role in the side. Another is Finn Allen a 20 year old who scored a hundred in a warm-up match against England last week. Kyle Jamieson is a towering medium pacer who’s accumulating a very impressive domestic record. There’s also a pacey 20 year old lad from Wellington called Ben Sears who’s had a very impressive start to his FC career. It's still a long way out though, so who knows.

Flem274*

123/5
The succession for the 2nd wave looks a lot more uncertain, unsurprisingly given it represents 3 of NZ’s greatest ever test cricketers. Matt Henry will I think be able to do a decent job replacing Southee with the new ball for a couple of years, but there are no obvious replacements for Boult and certainly no one likely to be capable of Williamson’s greatness. Fortunately, 5 years is a long time for youngsters to emerge and develop. As mentioned, Rachin Ravindra is one player who may well be in position to take over Williamson’s role in the side. Another is Finn Allen a 20 year old who scored a hundred in a warm-up match against England last week. Kyle Jamieson is a towering medium pacer who’s accumulating a very impressive domestic record. There’s also a pacey 20 year old lad from Wellington called Ben Sears who’s had a very impressive start to his FC career. It's still a long way out though, so who knows.
this post makes me reflect on how pot shot even researched cricket predictions are. in 2012 when the current side was starting to build and captaincy gate happened we had never heard of henry nicholls, 3 of our spin options or lockie ferguson and no one knew what to make of latham, henry etc yet.

no one would have picked cdg to be revealed as a god.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lockie Ferguson is already 28

The way he's talked about youd think he'd be 22

What are you guys waiting for not playing him yet

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
this post makes me reflect on how pot shot even researched cricket predictions are. in 2012 when the current side was starting to build and captaincy gate happened we had never heard of henry nicholls, 3 of our spin options or lockie ferguson and no one knew what to make of latham, henry etc yet.

no one would have picked cdg to be revealed as a god.
So true, even for Nicholls’ first few years in the blackcaps, I thought he should be persevered with, but I don’t think even his biggest fan would have seen him cracking the top ten batting rankings.

There’s lots of promising options at this stage, and I think NZ is in a really good place for developing players. But trying to guess who will take spots as they open up when Williamson/Boult/Southee retire is impossible, really.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
latham
rachin
kane
young
nicholls
blundell
neesham
santa (just noticed when going through names he's the youngest of our spinners by a mile)
southee
ferguson
boult

i think that's your 2023 side. could easily see seifert, phillips, conway in there too.
Southee won't be around in 2023. I doubt he'll be around in 2021. He's already losing pace and swinging it directly out of the hand - I don't think there's any way he'll be a factor by then. And as much as he's had an admirable career, he's not someone who you think of as will sweat blood and give it everything he's got to be around, to leave a legacy etc.