• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand's squad for ICC Champions trophy

Athlai

Not Terrible
The difference between Broom and Styris though is that Styris is infinitely better, is proven at International level and was consistent here in the UK and if you went to all the games that they played over here in the T20 he actualy looked good and in good touch (besides the SL game obviously)

Youre right for a guy who has performed very well for NZ for 10 years to be discarded so quickly is an injustice. Which is why it'll be interesting to see what influence Vettori/Moles have as its been reported that both havent been happy with the team theyve been at times which may be the exclusion of Styris?

I dont buy this whole threw his toys out of the cot as again it was reported that he had mentioned to Fleming when in SA that he was going to give up test cricket at the end of the summer. So all it did was bring it forward 3 months. With the attitude of discarding your payers for playing one form of the game does this mean now that Freddie over here is discarded for the same thing. Up to his injury against the WI on boxing day lets not forget he was NZs number 1 ranked batsman on the World Rankings. In Fact B Mac has only just passed because Styris hasnt played.

Just think we cant afford to lose his experience. Bring in the Brooms to learn from him otherwise he/Elliott/Williamson and co will flounder for longer than they should
lol

Taylor is waaaay higher. 17th in ODI's with a ranking of 662 (peak of 699)

Styris's highest EVER ODI rating was 665.

Taylor > Styris at limited overs

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I dont buy this whole threw his toys out of the cot as again it was reported that he had mentioned to Fleming when in SA that he was going to give up test cricket at the end of the summer. So all it did was bring it forward 3 months.
Just think we cant afford to lose his experience. Bring in the Brooms to learn from him otherwise he/Elliott/Williamson and co will flounder for longer than they should
Don't get me wrong I want him in the team too. It was just the timing of his decision to not play test cricket seemed suspicious to the public. They announced a test match squad one day and he wasn't in it. And then the next day he announced he was retiring from test cricket so it seemed like sour grapes.
The thing about that england series where he played so well in the ODIs is that by memory he looked scratchy in his first game and then looked a million dollars in the next games as he came into form.
I think it is hard to just jump into international cricket to just play ODIs because it must be a step up from first class. So the one concern about him playing the champions trophy is - has he had enough international cricket recently.
That being said I would still pick him. And have been advocating this. I think all this not rewarding players with loyalty sends a bad message to the rest of the team and leads to them being under too much pressure.

On a personal note when Styris was 14 years old and playing against me in a school 1st XI game I was wicket keeping and I caught him behind and he didn't walk...

Last edited:

DIRK-NANNES

U19 Vice-Captain
Sorry dirty dirky diggler Nannes but you are incorrect.

The last ODI NZ played the order went Styris/Elliott/Oram at 5/6/7. Although with the dominance the NZers had over India in that one game they werent needed.
Well considering they weren't needed, how could we know the order? :happy:

Anyway, what I meant was the last game that the three of Elliott, Broom and Oram were all in the team.
1st ODI: New Zealand v India at Napier, Mar 3, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

the last game with Elliott, Broom and Oram had Elliott @ 5, Oram @ 6 and Broom @ 7

Flem274*

123/5
Hmmm, they have the reserve keeper all wrong.

Hopkins=test reserve
McGlashan=ODI reserve

I think the selectors got very impatient with Styris's inconsistency match by match, added to the fact he wasn't in line for tests and he probably got forgotten.

I think he's currently better than Broom, though in domestics they'll both bash the crap out of domestic attacks.

Only problem I have with Broom is he's being forced into a hitting role which I'm not sure is his game. Also his List A record is quite scratchy, whilst the First Class one should have him as one of the first picked for tests if someone gets dropped from the test team. I think they've got him the wrong way around.

The selectors do seem to realise that Elliott will be a very good ODI allrounder but a poor test one though, which is good. Well, they did at least, then he got picked for SL.

oneshot

Cricket Spectator
SHANE BOND

enough said, without him the NZ bowling attack..not to be rude..is kinda ...whats the word...crap

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, that Kyle Mills who has been world class in ODIs for a couple of years is rubbish, along with that left arm spinner whatshisface? :p

trapol

U19 12th Man
Athai - As for the rankings i dont mean now. I said at the time of his injury which was boxing day 08 when he had his thumb broken. He was number 1, which is a performance thing so he must have shagged Turners daughter or something for him not to be there....ha

Polo - i dont htink we've seen the last of him. Again as i mentioned i just have this hunch that with Vettori/Moles now selecting he is one of those guys they want. But only time will tell on this because if the team loses and badly in SL and then bombs at the CT then we could see him back. All ifs and buts i know otherwise if they do do well i think youre right these new guys will be there to stay

trapol

U19 12th Man
Hurricane - lol you played against Styris? what was this for? B@stard for not walking eh! ha

Anyone else played against any of our team?

Flem274*

123/5
ok, vettori is alright...kyle mills? he is an average bowler...thats it
Yeah, South Africa and Australia can't bat at all obviously along with England and the WI otherwise he wouldn't have done so well against them.

In tests he's pretty crap, ODIs are a different matter.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Only problem I have with Broom is he's being forced into a hitting role which I'm not sure is his game. Also his List A record is quite scratchy, whilst the First Class one should have him as one of the first picked for tests if someone gets dropped from the test team. I think they've got him the wrong way around.
Agree with this - just continues a long history of debuting players in ODIs before tests regardless of what their domestic records show they're better at. Broom hasn't particularly impressed in his ODIs to date but as you say half the time he has to hit out and the other half he has to recover us from 30/4 while maintaining a healthy run rate.

Would like to see him in tests but not sure when he might get a chance TBH, with the number 6 spot hotly contested.

Edit: Hrmmm, should probably make some on-topic comment about the Champions Trophy... ummmm... I hope we win :) . Looking forward to it though, as like the short format and the fact that anyone except the Windies (who are fielding their C team) can win.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Here are the odds from the TAB to make the final

1 $2.25 South Africa
2 $2.50 India
3 $3.20 Australia
4 $3.20 Sri Lanka
5 $3.50 Pakistan
6 $4.00 England
7 $4.00 New Zealand
8 $7.00 West Indies

I think SA and India deserve to be the top contenders but I think we should be ranked higher than 6th. Aren't we ranked 4th in the world in ODIs last time I checked we were.
I have placed $5 on us.

jondavluc

State Regular
Here are the odds from the TAB to make the final

1 $2.25 South Africa
2 $2.50 India
3 $3.20 Australia
4 $3.20 Sri Lanka
5 $3.50 Pakistan
6 $4.00 England
7 $4.00 New Zealand
8 $7.00 West Indies

I think SA and India deserve to be the top contenders but I think we should be ranked higher than 6th. Aren't we ranked 4th in the world in ODIs last time I checked we were.
I have placed $5 on us.
New Zealand is 5th on the rankings but yeah argee they should be higher.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hurricane - lol you played against Styris? what was this for? B@stard for not walking eh! ha

Anyone else played against any of our team?
Have you heard of the Gillette cup. It was a nation wide high school competition in the 1980s. He used to play for Hamilton Boys high - they were a strong team so he did well to make the top team as a 14 year old.
We made a low score against them - and Styris opened the batting and he carried his bat. He didn't bowl in games when I played against him. He started bowling rather quickly the following year.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The TAB cricket bookie might be of the opinion that NZ can't make the final, hence is pushing NZ out to $4 as a way to attract cash, and improve his profit margin. I can ask him tomorrow if you like...

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The TAB cricket bookie might be of the opinion that NZ can't make the final, hence is pushing NZ out to $4 as a way to attract cash, and improve his profit margin. I can ask him tomorrow if you like...
Sure ask but only if you run into him. I want to know why we are not even with Pakistan. We are as good as them except for the troubles we had with their reverse swing bowler in the 20/20 world cup.