• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand in Pakistan

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's hard to understand because NZC and NZ government has shown zero inclination to share the nature and details of the threat.
And obviously it's hard to understand that there's quite likely a matter of safety or some logical reason as to why that hasn't been shared?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
What truly changed how this incident is viewed is the bizarre and weird reactions of high level executives of Pakistan Govt and PCB who really should know better.

Rameez Raja, without even waiting a few days for more information, threatened to take NZ to the ICC for leaving the country due to security reasons which was unbelievably dire. He is the CEO of PCB and has not stopped tweeting like a snarky socialite aunty despite that. When Pakistan is under security scanner, making such ridiculous statements will just make it harder to convince countries to tour Pakistan as the image it creates is that the Pakistan admin will not give them the benefit of doubt and create ruckus at ICC over any discomfort issues.
Great point. I imagine the world will be watching on from afar (as I am), feeling fairly apprehensive that if something did hit the fan, or was purported to be planning to hit the fan, that the PCB, players, ex-players will all form a wall of protection around the country's image over the safety of the touring team.

Now we've got Wasim Akram saying 'I feel we are not hearing the full story', implying there might be something under-handed happening other than a viable security threat, Hafeez being a **** to his fellow international cricketers, and just a general feeling of 'well it's been safe these last times, so why wouldn't it be now' - like that's a thing.

I think my country can feel pretty unsupported by what's happened after their decision.

Frost

U19 Debutant
Can't belive the reactions from some ex and current pro cricketers. Is like they don't understand how intelligence works, you think the government is going to share details? You want NZ to expose their sources over a cricket game? I hope they do take nzc to court, so the pcb can continue to look foolish.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Isn't it quite clear no one knew what day/time and route they are taking to the airport so can't necessarily plan attacks unlike a set date/time for the games? Even otherwise rather than feel happy for the players making to the airport safely Hafeez is mocking our players. That is so unprofessional of him. Reading more and more of these I think our guys made the right decision to leave. These guys take these serious matters like a non event.

nzfan

Reports suggests our players have made to Dubai and left Pakistan. Glad to hear and good on Pakistan to get them back. Hope no one picks up a late IPL spot from this bunch. If that happens these past players and their media will get into knots.

nzfan

There have been lot of write ups about how well Pakistan hosted South Africa, WI and Sri Lanka. I guess they are missing a point it's in NZ the mosque terror attack happened (it was a not a Kiwi that did it but I guess that is not quite understood by the world) and it's quite logical the attack on NZ nationals in Pakistan could be rather real than to say a South African, Caribbean or a Sri Lankan.

There is a bit more information coming through today about the threat, it was the Ministry of Foreign affairs that informed the NZ security team in Pakistan about the imminent attack. Decision was then taken to pull out of the tour based on the information. It wasn't because of some conspiracy theory being sprouted in Pakistan.

nzfan

For Pakistan's sake if they really want future tours they should look at a ground with hotel like South Hampton. Probably best to schedule series with no crowd to start with, have the players in the hotel at the ground so there's no travel. Get them straight from the airport to the hotel at the ground and leave when done. Not sure how many players or teams will like this arrangement but better than having to travel back and forth every day.

Is it right that the travel from the hotel to the stadium is like 15 kms?

Flem274*

123/5
Someone in the ICC really needs to advise the PCB and former players to log off.

Fans flipping is fine. It sucks. If I'm the ECB I'm watching the official reaction with increasing concern.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Embarrassing media performance notwithstanding, you have to feel for the players and officials who’ve put in so much work for this only for it be set back.

When the entire country appears to feel the same way, there has to be a perspective we’re missing. They live and raise families Pakistan, at some level they’ve probably internalised what we find unacceptable levels of threats because it is literally their reality.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Embarrassing media performance notwithstanding, you have to feel for the players and officials who’ve put in so much work for this only for it be set back.

When the entire country appears to feel the same way, there has to be a perspective we’re missing. They live and raise families Pakistan, at some level they’ve probably internalised what we find unacceptable levels of threats because it is literally their reality.
That was true even after 2009 though. I dont think anyone has said otherwise. I even said the reactions from regular fans is understandable. Does not mean whatever ****e PCB, Rameez, the players and ex-players are tweeting out is ok.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That was true even after 2009 though. I dont think anyone has said otherwise. I even said the reactions from regular fans is understandable. Does not mean whatever ****e PCB, Rameez, the players and ex-players are tweeting out is ok.
I did not say it was. Their response has been embarrassing, childish and hurts their chances of bringing cricket back.

There must be a level of empathy when discussing this though, they’ve been through exceptionally dire circumstances.