• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand in Pakistan

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Babar Rizwan PCB chief & plenty of Pakistan cricketers throwing shade at New Zealand on Twitter. Really childish stuff imo. Their politicians calling out openly in PC.. Same ones who actually supported Taliban's takeover.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Have heard there was direct threat to the team. Not like general unrest or threat but threat directed towards the team in particular. Why did they think they should allow crowd in the first place?
I haven't heard this, although I imagine it'll come out in the fullness of time.

I 100% support NZC in their stance and protecting the safety of their players. NZC has no responsibility in terms of contributing to the future of cricket being played in Pakistan. Their role is protect their people. Nor is their main responsibility to ensure games of cricket are played.

I get it that Pakistan are disappointed, this sets them back in terms of reluctance for teams to tour their country, and yeah other countries have toured successfully recently. But it's not like we thumbed our nose at committing to this. We're in the country. We wanted this to work. There's obviously been a development that gives us reason to be worried about the safety of our players. And they're not ****ing around with that. I imagine those players will be pretty fearful until they're able to get out, and their families will be feeling the same way. Really feel for families like Gup's, who will be doing lockdown and now worrying about what happens until Dad gets home

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, the ugly head reared up again of people running with rumour and unconfirmed reports in incidents like this, COVID etc. We hear that 3 players have COVID, now that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Why do people feel the need to race ahead, in some sort of desire to be first and be right, even though generally no one gives a toss?

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Lot of emotional statements coming out of pakistan and from people in responsible positions. I wish they were more responsible in their reaction. Read on stuff their interior minister believes in conspiracy theory. At least wait till the players get out of the country. It's not upto the players to take field when the govt clearly says they shouldn't. Don't build up emotions in pakistan public and make our players villains. Our players will have to hear the wrath unnecessarily.

It's not our job to lift Pakistan cricket like rightly said by @SteveNZ our job is to play cricket and perform only when it's safe. I still don't understand why nzc put our players in this spot. It's not easy for a young and inexperienced team members to cope with games played under this sort of security. They've barely seen the world most of them and it worries me for their mental health and coping with these sort of situations.

It must be nerve wrecking for their families. Hope they've left Pakistan and are on their way home. World will move on but this leaves a serious scar on our players and their families.

nzfan

Oh and nzc is really putting our players for lot of abuse by leaving open social media posts for comments. Abuses thrown left right and center at the players. Hope our boys don't read this garbage. There's so much venom. Turn off the comments or block the account for **** sake

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I completely agree. Really emotive, irrational statements made by Pakistan officials and players.. I get the emotion. 100%. It's a kick in the teeth for the significant effort they've made to bring cricket back to Pakistan. The PCL has been a success in bringing international cricketers back to the country, and recent touring teams have come and gone without issue.

But the conspiracy theories, the lack of acknowledgement that there might be a legitimate threat, the fear that these young guys must be facing. I said before, we're in the country. It's not like we backed out in the Koru Lounge. We committed to this. We had full intention of playing 8 games, and now because security have had (I can only presume) a good reason to feel uncertain about our safety there, we are now going home. I would hope that's something that Pakistan can get their heads around.

Shoaib Akhtar is a ****wit, too. Dude is on another planet.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh and nzc is really putting our players for lot of abuse by leaving open social media posts for comments. Abuses thrown left right and center at the players. Hope our boys don't read this garbage. There's so much venom. Turn off the comments or block the account for **** sake
Yep, agreed as well. Someone is asleep at the wheel at HQ

Jezroy

State Captain
I can understand why Pakistan (the country and the cricket board) aren’t happy about, but here’s a scenario!

You’re visiting an old friend of yours, and they have a really volatile next door neighbour. In fact, around 12 years ago that neighbour lost it and beat up another mutual friend really really badly. So no one visited your old friend for 6 years.

But slowly, people have started going around to your friend’s place because the neighbour has been quiet. Keeping to themselves. So you go and visit your friend too! It’s all going great until you get a phone call. It’s the neighbour! How the hell did they get your number? They say “You guys are making a lot of noise. I don’t like it. Shut up or I’ll come around there and make you regret it. I’m not joking. Remember that other guy I nearly killed 12 years ago? You’re next.”

Your friend says “Don’t worry! I literally haven’t heard anything from them for years! It’ll be fine. I’ve got a nice secure fence!”

But you decide the best thing for your safety, and the safety of your friend is to leave.

Does that seem unreasonable?

nzfan

I completely agree. Really emotive, irrational statements made by Pakistan officials and players.. I get the emotion. 100%. It's a kick in the teeth for the significant effort they've made to bring cricket back to Pakistan. The PCL has been a success in bringing international cricketers back to the country, and recent touring teams have come and gone without issue.

But the conspiracy theories, the lack of acknowledgement that there might be a legitimate threat, the fear that these young guys must be facing. I said before, we're in the country. It's not like we backed out in the Koru Lounge. We committed to this. We had full intention of playing 8 games, and now because security have had (I can only presume) a good reason to feel uncertain about our safety there, we are now going home. I would hope that's something that Pakistan can get their heads around.

Shoaib Akhtar is a ****wit, too. Dude is on another planet.
I get all that yes. Their nation is disappointed sure but people in responsible positions should avoid making ridiculous statements feeding their public garbage and make us sound like we're part of some wider conspiracy.

Like you said we've just sent 5 guys to participate in the T20s like a week ago. We won't do that if we were going to pull out for ridiculous reason. If Pakistan PM's call couldn't change the mind then you know it's definitely legit.

At least wait for our govt to share the information. There's legit reason for not sharing yet. They'll do it. They won't risk pulling out the last minute unless it's a credible source. At least give them a chance. We know for sure the back lash if we don't have a legit threat and wouldn't have risked it. Pakistan can take this to the court or ICC and claim damages. That's the route they should take if they don't believe the threat is not legit. Ministries going around feeding garbage to public is utter crap.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm massively sad for Pakistani fans and Pakistan cricket in general, but if a visiting board feels like there's a legitimate threat, then there's no other choice but to abandon.
Good to see you here Fusion. Hope you’re doing well.

———-
@Prince EWS please ensure Fusion is sacked from his position and that Dan and Spark resign. Thanks.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I wish they were more responsible in their reaction.
I think it comes down to when Imran Khan is saying "no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team", Pakistan people and fans are going to fire up with it. Especially when a BBC reporter is saying it's Covid related: The reason, I was told, was that a "couple of players had contracted Covid".

If news comes out with specifics I think that will quiet it down. I just hope it has nothing to do with Covid.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I recall similar sentiments to those NZ is copping now being expressed towards Australian players when they abandoned certain tours, including on here, and comments to the effect that extremists would never target cricketers because it would harm their image etc etc

Then the SL bus got shot up and everyone went quiet.

If players get told by their officials there’s a credible threat of a terrorist attack, what do people realistically expect them to do ffs?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it comes down to when Imran Khan is saying "no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team",
Lets be honest, as a PM he makes a fine fast bowler. His country harboured the Taliban ffs.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I recall similar sentiments to those NZ is copping now being expressed towards Australian players when they abandoned certain tours, including on here, and comments to the effect that extremists would never target cricketers because it would harm their image etc etc

Then the SL bus got shot up and everyone went quiet.
I'm pretty sure those were jokes, I probably made most of them. And no one went quite, there was literally an apology thread.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Lets be honest, as a PM he makes a fine fast bowler. His country harboured the Taliban ffs.
I'm just looking at it from a Pakistan cricket fan's perspective mate where they have their PM come out saying there was no threat, and media reporting that it's Covid related, the reaction is to be expected. I imagine NZ will release more details once the players are out of the country and on their way back home. Hopefully that will clarify the situation.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Also, the ugly head reared up again of people running with rumour and unconfirmed reports in incidents like this, COVID etc. We hear that 3 players have COVID, now that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Why do people feel the need to race ahead, in some sort of desire to be first and be right, even though generally no one gives a toss?
Maybe there was a plot to send a covid positive terrorist to cough on the Blackcaps, and the sources got their wires crossed. :ph34r:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Absolutely pathetic reaction by PCB and players on Social media. It's baffling how child-like and toys-out-the-cot it is.

It's actually laughable. How embarassing.