• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Crowds Act Up

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Fiery said:
:yawn: Get over it. You won the game

Bracewell targets disruptive strategy
\
Australian fielders have attracted many unusual items while playing in New Zealand. Greg Matthews had a toilet seat hurled at him in 1986-87, a sauce bottle was pelted at Stuart Law and Michael Bevan was hit by a fish. Plastic beer bottles were the main offenders on Saturday.

© Cricinfo
omg.. i have to get a video of the fish + toilet seat lol

deeps

International 12th Man
bracewell is a d!ckhead whose whinging over nothing if he seriously believes that it was a "tactic" that australia used.

if my players were getting cans and bottles thrown at and spat at, believe me i wldnt' let another ball be bowled until i was sure that they were safe again.

Dos bracewell expect the players to pretend nothing is happening and continue to play whilst they have missiles thrown? it's only a matter of time before someone throws a brick or something that could do some serious damage.

grow up bracewell, get used to losing coz it's gonna happen alot more in the upcomin month or so

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
deeps said:
bracewell is a d!ckhead whose whinging over nothing if he seriously believes that it was a "tactic" that australia used.

if my players were getting cans and bottles thrown at and spat at, believe me i wldnt' let another ball be bowled until i was sure that they were safe again.

Dos bracewell expect the players to pretend nothing is happening and continue to play whilst they have missiles thrown? it's only a matter of time before someone throws a brick or something that could do some serious damage.

grow up bracewell, get used to losing coz it's gonna happen alot more in the upcomin month or so
How about grow up Aussie babies, what they're taking is exactly what happens to visiting teams in Australia. Typical for Aussies to complain about something overseas when its happening in their own backyard - hypocracy at its finest.

This has been ridiculously blown out of proportion by the media, and to suggest that NZ crowds are worse than Australian is garbage.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BlackCap_Fan said:
He should just stop whining and get on with the cricket. It happens at every ground in the world. I'm pretty sure that it happened to us when we went there for the Chappell Hadlee series.
I don't remember stuff being thrown at your players over here during the Chappell Haddlee Trophy, could be wrong though.

Son Of Coco

MoxPearl said:
u guys are weird

it was nothing.. the media blew it FAR outta propotion.. on saturday.. it was stupid :/

-Mcgrath was fine... u could see during the game he was having a good time with a crowd.. he even said after the game and in the papers.

-If u had seen what Katich was saying to the crowd im sure u prolly would have thrown stuff at him aswell

It was nothing worse than the stuff that happens all over the world.. who remembers when richardson had to wear a helmet over in aussie ?

Im not saying it was right.. but if Katich abuses the crowd u can expect him to get it back

The media blew it FAR outtta line.. they were just leeching for news.

Also saying nz crowd security is lax is stupid.. i got kicked outta the basin once for throwing a paper dart back at someone who wanted me to throw it back to them when it landed next to me..
Sinclair had a bit to say to the crowd when he took that fantastic catch to dismiss Hayden, but didn't have anything thrown at him. That sort of behaviour isn't right no matter where it happens, and saying it happens elsewhere isn't really an excuse. I don't remember the incident you're talking about re: Richardson - I was possibly away at the time though...was he fielding on the boundary? Did Katich just come out and start abusing the crowd without any provocation?

Son Of Coco

Fiery said:
:yawn: Get over it. You won the game

Bracewell targets disruptive strategy

Cricinfo staff

John Bracewell has accused Australia of stopping the game to disrupt New Zealand's chase when players complained of ugly crowd behaviour during the first one-day international at Wellington. The match was interrupted as fielders were hit by objects thrown from the stands, Glenn McGrath and Simon Katich argued with security guards and Matthew Hayden was spat on while fielding during the 10-run victory.

"I think the tactical awareness as learned from Steve Waugh has been passed on," Bracewell said in The Australian. "It's just a strategy that they often use to try to break up the pattern of the day."

Bracewell said the crowd behaviour was "no different" to what New Zealand received in Australia, but the visiting side has asked for extra security for the remaining four one-day matches and three Tests. "I don't think there was a problem with the amount of security in Saturday night's game," Steve Addison, the New Zealand Cricket spokesman, said. "It's just that they should probably have been more pro-active."

Hayden said the crowd behaviour was disappointing but the team expected it. "I got spat on, and I don't think that's the right behaviour," he said. "It's not necessary, we come over here to play entertaining cricket, not to be spat on or have cans thrown at us or whatever the crowd want to do." Hayden said New Zealand, South Africa and Sydney, where he was abused playing for Queensland and booed during the VB Series, were the worst places to play.

Australian fielders have attracted many unusual items while playing in New Zealand. Greg Matthews had a toilet seat hurled at him in 1986-87, a sauce bottle was pelted at Stuart Law and Michael Bevan was hit by a fish. Plastic beer bottles were the main offenders on Saturday.

© Cricinfo
I think Bracewell's slightly off the mark...again. Comments like this don't exactly help fix the problem of rowdy crowds, he should have been focusing on the fact that it was their home crowd that brought the game to a halt by throwing things instead of using it as an opportunity to make comments like these. No bottles etc whizzing around players heads, no stoppage John - it's an easy formula to understand.

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
The Aussies were well within their rights to complain about the projectiles; all they demanded was that security do their job - the delay was minimal and they got on with the game.

Perhaps they used the abuse as a ploy to slow down the momentum of the NZ side in conjunction with being worried about their own welfare, if so, then good on them. In any case if the NZ batsman had half of a brain, they would have not thrown the game away. Bracewell should be giving a few roastings to his players, instead of blaming outside influences (once again).

But for Ponting and Hayden to come out blasting the NZ crowd was pretty rich. If it happens again, then fair enough. But it was obvious that the security was not up to scratch, and this can be fixed (the authorities being unprepared). And this sort of abuse rarely happens in NZ, and it almost exclusively only happens when the Aussies come over here. On the other hand it happens to most touring sides to Australia.

Son Of Coco

meatspx said:
The Aussies were well within their rights to complain about the projectiles; all they demanded was that security do their job - the delay was minimal and they got on with the game.

Perhaps they used the abuse as a ploy to slow down the momentum of the NZ side in conjunction with being worried about their own welfare, if so, then good on them. In any case if the NZ batsman had half of a brain, they would have not thrown the game away. Bracewell should be giving a few roastings to his players, instead of blaming outside influences (once again).

But for Ponting and Hayden to come out blasting the NZ crowd was pretty rich. If it happens again, then fair enough. But it was obvious that the security was not up to scratch, and this can be fixed (the authorities being unprepared). And this sort of abuse rarely happens in NZ, and it almost exclusively only happens when the Aussies come over here. On the other hand it happens to most touring sides to Australia.
Really? Watching the tests etc this summer I didn't see too much evidence of it myself.

telsor

U19 12th Man
I think Bracewell is using his own tactics to try and get the crowds at future games to be as bad/worse.

Quotes from http://www.theage.com.au/news/Cricket/Security-talks-on-unruly-NZ-fans/2005/02/20/1108834664304.html

Tensions between Australian players and the Wellington crowd boiled over several times, most notably when Katich claimed a catch on the fence, held the ball aloft to the fans and unleashed a verbal tirade - having been previously pelted with beer bottles.

McGrath asked a security guard to clear debris from the playing area, only to be told to do it himself and called a "******".
Can you really blame Katich for giving the crowd a serve after they've been throwing things at him?

In the McGrath case, crowd staff should at least maintain a pretence of neutrality..abusing players doesn't fit that description.

Hayden was also spat on.

I've also heard that some of the plastic beer bottles thrown were full! Now thats both stupid and wasteful....You'd never find *that* in Aus :D

For those saying the same things happen in Aus, please give specific examples as I don't recall anything like that for years.

Slow Love™

International Captain
telsor said:
I think Bracewell is using his own tactics to try and get the crowds at future games to be as bad/worse.

Quotes from http://www.theage.com.au/news/Cricket/Security-talks-on-unruly-NZ-fans/2005/02/20/1108834664304.html

Can you really blame Katich for giving the crowd a serve after they've been throwing things at him?

In the McGrath case, crowd staff should at least maintain a pretence of neutrality..abusing players doesn't fit that description.

Hayden was also spat on.

I've also heard that some of the plastic beer bottles thrown were full! Now thats both stupid and wasteful....You'd never find *that* in Aus :D

For those saying the same things happen in Aus, please give specific examples as I don't recall anything like that for years.
I agree with everything you've said. We USED to get behaviour on this level at some of the MCG one-dayers, but since security really tightened up and they improved their surveillance (and ejection) techniques, it's been really improved.

The argument that the players have no right to complain about this kind of display just because it has happened in Australia in the past is not a valid one - firstly, the players don't condone that kind of behaviour, and secondly, two wrongs don't make a right.

Even though the crowd were throwing things at him and abusing him, it was still a stupid of Kaspa to escalate it in the way he did. As for the security guard - what an idiot.

Fiery

Banned
Slow Love™ said:
I agree with everything you've said. We USED to get behaviour on this level at some of the MCG one-dayers, but since security really tightened up and they improved their surveillance (and ejection) techniques, it's been really improved.

The argument that the players have no right to complain about this kind of display just because it has happened in Australia in the past is not a valid one - firstly, the players don't condone that kind of behaviour, and secondly, two wrongs don't make a right.

Even though the crowd were throwing things at him and abusing him, it was still a stupid of Kaspa to escalate it in the way he did. As for the security guard - what an idiot.
It's a media beat up brought about by Australian whining. Even your Prime Minister thinks you are being precious:

Not just Kiwis, we can all be yobbos: PM
February 21, 2005 - 3:14PM

Australians should not be too self-righteous over the "yobbish" behaviour of some New Zealand fans during last Saturday's cricket match, Australian Prime Minister John Howard said.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
You only needed to see Matthew Sinclair's reaction after he took that catch at the Telstra Dome to realise that the NZ players cop it just as bad in Australia (in this case verbally).

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
gg hayden...

"New zealanders are the worst crowds in the world"

lol

I like the australian prime ministers comments "Get on with it"

telsor

U19 12th Man
Fiery said:
It's a media beat up brought about by Australian whining. Even your Prime Minister thinks you are being precious:

Not just Kiwis, we can all be yobbos: PM
February 21, 2005 - 3:14PM

Australians should not be too self-righteous over the "yobbish" behaviour of some New Zealand fans during last Saturday's cricket match, Australian Prime Minister John Howard said.

Let's see, the Australian PM, while in NZ on a diplomatic visit said something diplomatic. Huge surprise.

Can you provide a link, or don't you want us to see the rest of the article?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I'm not impressed with Bracewell demonizing the Australians when they protest against all the fish, rocks and bottles pelted at them.

Usually, I love it when a crowd gets fired up and into the match, as long as the player's safety is assured and it doesn't get personal or physical.

Still, I'm not complaining about the win.