• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If we win the toss against Ireland, New Zealand definitely needs to set the total. As they need to get used to the early morning conditions as the toss is not always going to fall our way, and we need Oram and McCullum to have a bat as they haven't had many chances in match situations in this world cup
That's a very risky attitude.

In a game where points are at stake, trying to use it as a practice match can come back to haunt you deeply.

Ricky Ponting found that against Bangladesh in Cardiff.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Bond vs SA
(6 ball overs) Mat O R W BB1 BB2 Ave Econ SR 4w 5w
v South Africa 11 94.2 484 14 4/37 2/42 34.57 5.13 40.4 1 0

Vettori
South Africa 31 198.1 894 18 2/18 2/37 49.66 4.51 66.0 0 0

Vettori's test record
v South Africa 9 367.3 1051 15 4/153 5/160 70.06 2.85 147.0 0 0

Both have played a lot of games against SA and the reading ain't flash :/
But......
Code:
[B]Oram vs RSA[/B]
(6 ball overs)       Mat    O       R   W   BB1    BB2     Ave  Econ    SR 4w 5w
filtered              11   68     302  13  3/24   3/26   23.23  4.44  31.3  0  0
[B]Patel vs RSA[/B]
(6 ball overs)       Mat    O       R   W   BB1    BB2     Ave  Econ    SR 4w 5w
filtered               2   11.1    59   5  3/11   2/48   11.80  5.28  13.4  0  0
[B]Styris in WI[/B]
filtered              10   56     244  15  6/25   4/43   16.26  4.35  22.4  1  1
[B]Bond in WI[/B]
filtered               8   61.4   227  10  3/31   2/15   22.70  3.68  37.0  0  0
:cool:

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I'm gonna play the stats game here to show current form

Code:
[B]NZ ODI Stats for 2007[/B] (career averages in parenthesis)
SP Fleming     596 runs @ [B]39.73[/B], S/R [B]78.62[/B]
                         [I](32.78)    (71.46)[/I] 

RL Taylor      495 runs @ 35.35, S/R 79.45
                         [I]([B]40.23[/B])    ([B]83.31[/B])[/I] 

L Vincent      474 runs @ [B]52.66[/B], S/R [B]80.06[/B]
                         [I](28.27)    (70.05)[/I] 

CD McMillan    470 runs @ [B]42.72[/B], S/R [B]95.14[/B]
                         [I](28.34)    (75.96)[/I] 

PG Fulton      458 runs @ [B]35.23[/B], S/R [B]78.42[/B]
                         [I](33.73)    (76.12)[/I] 

JDP Oram       362 runs @ [B]90.50[/B], S/R [B]111.04[/B]
                         [I](23.17)    (80.99)[/I] 

BB McCullum    357 runs @ [B]35.70[/B], S/R [B]102.00[/B]
                         [I](23.53)    (82.09)[/I]

SB Styris      325 runs @ [B]54.16[/B], S/R [B]87.83[/B]
                         [I](30.70)    (78.85)[/I]
When have you taken these stats from, ninja?

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Well no. You said it was recent form, I wanted to know how you defined recent. Probably should have worded my question better.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's time for Franklin to move ahead of Vettori in the batting order I think
Was thinking that not long ago, Franklin is the biggest hitter in the ODI side by quite a distance. However, if we were able to field a full strength XI then Franklin wouldn't make it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's time for Franklin to move ahead of Vettori in the batting order I think
Well, that actually happened for a little while, but Franklin has been demoted again for some strange reason, despite doing well there. Personally I think it's time for Franklin to move below Shane Bond in the batting order - to twelfth man - and this is coming from someone who is a huge fan of the guy.

Dasgupta

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, that actually happened for a little while, but Franklin has been demoted again for some strange reason, despite doing well there. Personally I think it's time for Franklin to move below Shane Bond in the batting order - to twelfth man - and this is coming from someone who is a huge fan of the guy.
Fair call. I would keep playing him however and hope the conditions favour his swing in the first few overs. If he gets belted then you can fall back on someone like McMillan to fill out the overs. His batting is valuable and much more effective than Vettori at the moment

Perm

Fair call. I would keep playing him however and hope the conditions favour his swing in the first few overs. If he gets belted then you can fall back on someone like McMillan to fill out the overs. His batting is valuable and much more effective than Vettori at the moment
So you would carry a bowler in your side when chances are, his effectiveness will be very low? Seem's a waste really, especially if you are including him on the basis of 10-15 more runs than Vettori and the rare good performance with the ball.

Dasgupta

School Boy/Girl Captain
So you would carry a bowler in your side when chances are, his effectiveness will be very low? Seem's a waste really, especially if you are including him on the basis of 10-15 more runs than Vettori and the rare good performance with the ball.
It's more a case of not having great faith in any of the other options probably. Playing either Gillespie, Martin or Mason would be risky at this stage I think and none offer much (or anything in Martin's case) with the bat

Perm

It's more a case of not having great faith in any of the other options probably. Playing either Gillespie, Martin or Mason would be risky at this stage I think and none offer much (or anything in Martin's case) with the bat
At the moment I would prefer to see Gillespie in the side, he get's it right on more occasions than Franklin and is certainly no mug with the bat. I'm a big fan of James Franklin, but he is seriously costing us runs.

Dasgupta

School Boy/Girl Captain
At the moment I would prefer to see Gillespie in the side, he get's it right on more occasions than Franklin and is certainly no mug with the bat. I'm a big fan of James Franklin, but he is seriously costing us runs.
He's also good for 20 or 30 quick ones himself with the bat which compensates for that. I think the time has come where he is finally considered as a batting allrounder by the selectors

Perm

He's also good for 20 or 30 quick ones himself with the bat which compensates for that. I think the time has come where he is finally considered as a batting allrounder by the selectors
A batting allrounder? You've got to be kidding me, he hasn't proved to be anything other than a bowler who can hit the ball in ODI's yet. We all know he has great potential as a Test and FC batsman, but hasn't really provided the consistency down the order than he needs to be considered a batting allrounder. He's only occasionally good for 20-30 quick runs too, not something than can be expected out of him every game.

Dasgupta

School Boy/Girl Captain
A batting allrounder? You've got to be kidding me, he hasn't proved to be anything other than a bowler who can hit the ball in ODI's yet. We all know he has great potential as a Test and FC batsman, but hasn't really provided the consistency down the order than he needs to be considered a batting allrounder. He's only occasionally good for 20-30 quick runs too, not something than can be expected out of him every game.
Not kidding you at all. He's hardly had a lot of opportunity to prove himself in ODI's, batting at 9 and he's done pretty well there recently. Batting allrounder imo and will be so in the future in both forms of the game

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If he's going to be considered a batting allrounder, then he should not be selected in the side to bat #8-9 and open the bowling. Styris and Oram are better options for a top 7 position (where those selected as batting allrounders bat..) so he should be dumped. As a batting allrounder in one day cricket, he shouldn't get near the national side. The same should be said for him as an opening bowler - or a first change bowler - or even a bowling allrounder too. Franklin's one of my favourite players and should be one of the first names put down for NZ's eleven, but he's simply not very good at one day cricket.

Perm

Not kidding you at all. He's hardly had a lot of opportunity to prove himself in ODI's, batting at 9 and he's done pretty well there recently. Batting allrounder imo and will be so in the future in both forms of the game
No way he'll ever be a batting allrounder in the immediate future, especially not in real cricket. I know he bats at around 5 or 6 for Wellington, but he isn't good enough to make it into the Black Caps ODI or Test side as a batting allrounder, especially when his bowling is obviously his main discipline.