• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand 20/20 Team

Howsie

International Captain
Cricinfo - Diamanti in World Twenty20 squad

New Zealand squad Brendon McCullum, Martin Guptill, Jesse Ryder, Ross Taylor, Scott Styris, Neil Broom, Jacob Oram, James Franklin, Nathan McCullum, Daniel Vettori (capt), Ian Butler, Peter McGlashan, Kyle Mills, Brendon Diamanti, Iain O'Brien.

Backup players Peter Ingram, Shanan Stewart, Aaron Redmond, Craig Cumming, Peter Fulton, Jamie How, James Marshall, Gareth Hopkins, Grant Elliott, Ewen Thompson, Tim Southee, Michael Mason, Warren McSkimming, Chris Martin, Jeetan Patel.

It's a good team, but I don't like Diamanti. Aaron Redmond should of been in the top 15.

Athlai

Not Terrible

New Zealand squad Brendon McCullum, Martin Guptill, Jesse Ryder, Ross Taylor, Scott Styris, Neil Broom, Jacob Oram, James Franklin, Nathan McCullum, Daniel Vettori (capt), Ian Butler, Peter McGlashan, Kyle Mills, Brendon Diamanti, Iain O'Brien.

Backup players Peter Ingram, Shanan Stewart, Aaron Redmond, Craig Cumming, Peter Fulton, Jamie How, James Marshall, Gareth Hopkins, Grant Elliott, Ewen Thompson, Tim Southee, Michael Mason, Warren McSkimming, Chris Martin, Jeetan Patel.

It's a good team, but I don't like Diamanti. Aaron Redmond should of been in the top 15.
WTF Redmond shouldn't be near it.

Howsie

International Captain
WTF Redmond shouldn't be near it.
To be fair Redmond was the Top scorer in the State 20/20, and he was the only player to score a hundred.

Player Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s
AJ Redmond 7 7 1 325 100* 54.16 224 145.08 1 2 0 30 14
(Otago)

He had a very good season, if Ryder or Guptill can't play he should get the call up.

Cricinfo - Records - State Twenty20, 2008/09 - Most runs

That's the list of top scorers.

Athlai

Not Terrible
To be fair Redmond was the Top scorer in the State 20/20, and he was the only player to score a hundred.

Player Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s
AJ Redmond 7 7 1 325 100* 54.16 224 145.08 1 2 0 30 14
(Otago)

He had a very good season, if Ryder or Guptill can't play he should get the call up.

Cricinfo - Records - State Twenty20, 2008/09 - Most runs

That's the list of top scorers.
That 100 was the most dire knock. Soooo lucky.

FBU

International Debutant

Diamanti, excellent selection.

Flem274*

123/5
I rate him higher than McIntosh tbh, and that isn't because McIntosh is more fresh in my mind. At least Redmond doesn't look like a complete idiot until he gets out, which isn't what you can say for McIntosh.

That squad is decent, though Cumming and Marshall are pointless back ups.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Fantastic to see McGlashan make it :)

Good for Cricket Web fans too as we'll hopefully get some insider thoughts from him.

Flem274*

123/5
Haha, I agree with 95% of the things you say about New Zealand cricket. 5% of the things you say about New Zealand cricket are about Ingram. You do the math. :ph34r:
You do realise 1% of that 5% involves my truthful and unbiased view of Ingram? :p

Ftr

Ingram will always be a good domestic player, and perhaps if there was room he'd make a decent ODI opener or test number 6. Imo he's a far better batsman than McIntosh, so I'd hope that when he gets his chance he'll make a (better and not lucky) hundred, just for us fanboys (check out facebook) before his eventual failure and dropping. I spose one thing he'd have in his favour is he won't feel the pressure like Sinclair, because due to a long backstory which I won't go into atm he actualy doesn't care how he goes anymore, he's playing for fun, as corny as that sounds. Anyway back to his batting, unless he does a Trescothick he will fail at test level opening, I'm realistic enough to accept that.

Basically, I can see him getting picked, being a better version of McIntosh, failing, possibly playing some ODIs if Jesse goes boozing or Oram stays injured and Broom/Styris **** up, being like Vincent in ODIs, then eventualy being dropped.

I doubt he'll be long term international quality, but he's definitely better than some of the **** we've picked in the past couple of seasons.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's a good interview with Ingram on t'internets. First hit on google.co.nz if you search for "Peter Ingram". Pretty old, though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't really want to "bore" everyone reading the Twenty20 section with discussion about First Class cricket but I will anyway. :p

Flem274* said:
Ingram will always be a good domestic player
I'm really not even convinced of that. He deserves a cemented place in the CD team.. does that qualify him as "good"? I reckon he's okay, nothing more. Like McIntosh (and Redmond, just before he was picked) he's found decent form recently but any decent First Class player is going to have patches like this or they wouldn't be there at all.

I'm actually not convinced that he actually is better than McIntosh. I don't think he's worse, but I don't think I can categorically say he's better. I've only seen him bat once and he got 4 so I don't have a lot to go by regarding his technique etc but his record is pretty moderate. I realise pitches haven't been kind to opening batsmen in New Zealand cricket until recently (which is unsurprisingly when he's cashed in) but he still seems pretty average to me. Under virtually no circumstances would I select him in Tests.

More specifically related to my post in this thread - if he's actually one of the best thirty cricketers New Zealand have in Twenty20 cricket, I'm basically not here - he's been picked on the back of an average of 15 and a HS of 36 domestically.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I don't really want to "bore" everyone reading the Twenty20 section with discussion about First Class cricket but I will anyway. :p

I'm really not even convinced of that. He deserves a cemented place in the CD team.. does that qualify him as "good"? I reckon he's okay, nothing more. Like McIntosh (and Redmond, just before he was picked) he's found decent form recently but anyone decent First Class player is going to have patches like this or they shouldn't be there at all.

I'm actually not convinced that he's actually is better than McIntosh. I don't think he's worse, but I don't think I can categorically say he's better. I've only seen him bat once and he got 4 so I don't have a lot to go by regarding his technique etc but his record is pretty moderate. I realise pitches haven't been kind to opening batsmen in New Zealand cricket until recently (which is unsurprisingly when he's cashed in) but he still seems pretty average to me. Under virtually no circumstances would I select him in Tests.

More specifically related to my post in this thread - if he's actually one of the best thirty cricketers New Zealand have in Twenty20 cricket, I'm basically not here - he's been picked on the back of an average of 15 and a HS of 36 domestically.
Quick summary:

FC debut to 2004-ish: voices in his head, too much listening to people and personal issues made him a piss poor FC opener.

Recall (2005 iirc) to present: Averaged something ridiculous. Been excellent.

He qualifies as better than McIntosh because between his big centuries he can get things called 30s, 40s, and 50s. Not sure McIntosh has heard of those. :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Surprised to see Patel not picked. Seemed a good death bowling option.

Can the Kiwis sneak bond in with the new BCCI grace period thingy?? haa

Flem274*

123/5
Think we should turn up with:

Astle
Vincent
Marshall
McMillan
Cairns
Harris
Parore
Adams
Tuffey
Bond
AN Other

Just for a laugh. Call ourselves the ICL Caps.