• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New prodigy creates history

Teja.

Global Moderator
Gets only 1 of the last 4.

12/64 match figures on FC debut at 18 years of age.

I dunno too much about fast bowling so I wonder if his pace can increase by a good amount as he grows.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I reckon' there's either huge under/over appreciation for awesome bowling performances by youngsters by critics/media in India.

When Ishant had his one good series where he took 15 wickets in 4 games at 27 against Australia, there was all kinds of stupid wanking about how he's the next McGrath et al. and pundits were falling over themselves to praise him. I know he beat Ponting a couple of times but 15 wickets at 27 in 4 games is exactly that.

However, when Sreesanth took 18 wickets at 21 in 3 games against the Saffers, there was no real praise and hype whatsoever. It was insanely good bowling against one of the top 2 teams of the world ffs. With that talent, Sreesanth should have been wrapped in cotton by the BCCI and made to play ODIs selectively. Instead he was handled in the worst kind of way, made to play 9000 ODIs despite him being ridiculously **** at them.

There was no media uproar and ridiculous IPL contract after Zaheer took 21 in England as well. I still don't get the Ishant craze tbh. Sree and Praveen are clearly better talents.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sree got plenty of attention on the internet and on CW when he ran through South Africa.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sree's attitude doesn't do him any favours. I don't remember him being any special in that series after the first match TBH. And he was also poor and indisciplined (bowling beamers to Pietersen) on the tour to England the following year when all the other bowlers did well.

EDIT : It seems he was pretty good in Durban also, TBF to him.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon' there's either huge under/over appreciation for awesome bowling performances by youngsters by critics/media in India.

When Ishant had his one good series where he took 15 wickets in 4 games at 27 against Australia, there was all kinds of stupid wanking about how he's the next McGrath et al. and pundits were falling over themselves to praise him. I know he beat Ponting a couple of times but 15 wickets at 27 in 4 games is exactly that.

However, when Sreesanth took 18 wickets at 21 in 3 games against the Saffers, there was no real praise and hype whatsoever. It was insanely good bowling against one of the top 2 teams of the world ffs. With that talent, Sreesanth should have been wrapped in cotton by the BCCI and made to play ODIs selectively. Instead he was handled in the worst kind of way, made to play 9000 ODIs despite him being ridiculously **** at them.

There was no media uproar and ridiculous IPL contract after Zaheer took 21 in England as well. I still don't get the Ishant craze tbh. Sree and Praveen are clearly better talents.
Maybe becaue it was against THE AUSSIES!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sree got plenty of attention when he was slapped like a bitch and cried like Shane Watson.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol at calling Harbhajan a dickhead yet liking Sree. They're both two of the biggest dicks in cricket.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Nah, Sree is a star. Ridiculously talented and I like the aggression.

Devilishly handsome guy too tbh.

vcs

Many Indian bowlers just seem to lack "smarts". I miss Kumble.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Twatto looks a dick tho.

Anyway, Looking forward to the 10th when Chahar plays Goa.

Will bet anything he'll take five wickets atleast in the game.

vcs

Twatto looks a bit like the guy (not Jim Carrey) in Dumb and Dumber.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Gets only 1 of the last 4.

12/64 match figures on FC debut at 18 years of age.

I dunno too much about fast bowling so I wonder if his pace can increase by a good amount as he grows.
He will do well ,this season specially considering the level of opposition he is likely in the plate league.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
The footage is awesome, it looks like is bowling with a taped tennis ball he is extracting so much swing.

Too early to hype the kid? Yes, very much. If he is doing the same thing in three years time, then time to get excited.

Daemon

Meh, I always thought Pathan was awesome with the new ball, although he didn't have enough pace to trouble most. Nowadays hes been reduced to cutters and slower deliveries as his main weapons. I don't buy the bull**** that his bowling detoriated because Greg made him focus on batting though..

Sreesanth's attitude will never improve and he'll remain a ****** for the rest of his life. They should play him in South Africa though, seeing how well he did the last time he played there. Munaf should be brought back too, and along with Zaheer, it's a decent pace attack, and a pretty good one when on song.

Heard Nehra made himself available for selection too, will be interesting to see how he might fare in a test match, although I'd much rather see Munaf play.

Shri

Mr. Glass

There was hype only because he was a teenager at that time. Same with Amir. Nobody seems that excited when a 25+ year old does well because people expect them to do well after having seen them bowl in FC games and by looking at their records. When someone who no one has ever heard of comes into the international stage and does well, there will inevitably be over hyping. True for any international sportsman in any sport who is a teenager.

tooextracool

International Coach
Yeah definitely, plenty of time left. To say there isn't anything there to work with is plain wrong IMO.

It's always easy to poke fun at overhyped Indian bowlers, but Ishant and Sree clearly have something to work with.

Irfan, Sree and Munaf look like they're partly to blame for their downfall. Irfan just wasn't as talented with the ball as people thought, Sree is mentally ******** and Munaf is a lazy ****.

Ishant IMO has just been completely mismanaged. He doesn't really seem to be any of the above. Just coaching and technical issues have screwed him.
On Ishant, there is obviously something to work with and yes he has potential especially given that he is still only what 22? But, the way the entire country went gung-ho about a guy who could just about land a ball on the square at a good pace was a bit ridiculous. If Ishant was 27 years old and had performed the way he has over the past couple of years, I'd have not even bothered watching him bowl twice. Personally, I don't see much difference between Ishant and a young Stuart Broad.

Now a performance like this on debut is always more likely to catch my attention:

HowSTAT! Match Scorecard