• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New feature - Cardus on Bradman, 1950

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jardine reviewed Farewell to Cricket as well - sadly I've never managed to get hold of a copy of the review but one line from it is

'A good deal of its interest lies in what the writer might have said and did not say, but it gives a picture of a rather lonely traveller'

Oh, and a trivia question - who is the only batsman to have a Test average of 127.00 when facing Bodyline bowling?

MagicPoopShovel

U19 12th Man
Jardine reviewed Farewell to Cricket as well - sadly I've never managed to get hold of a copy of the review but one line from it is

'A good deal of its interest lies in what the writer might have said and did not say, but it gives a picture of a rather lonely traveller'

Oh, and a trivia question - who is the only batsman to have a Test average of 127.00 when facing Bodyline bowling?
Hmm this seems like a trick question. Guessing it wasn't in the actual "Bodyline" series.

Without really checking anything was it actually Jardine, when maybe the WI bowled it at Eng?

Starfighter

What was slow leg theory?
Bowling spin or medium pace outside leg stump to a leg side field. It became very popular from around the mid twenties up to the late fifties when leg side field restrictions were introduced. Armstrong was one of the earlier ones to use it in tests, I think he even used it before the Great War. Just aim between leg stump and about a foot outside leg (or even further) and let the batsmen bore themselves out.

the big bambino

International Captain

I wonder if there was an element of self recognition there. Lost soul mates the both of them.

chasingthedon

International Regular

Jardine against West Indies

stephen

Was it McCabe or Jardine?

fredfertang

I wonder if there was an element of self recognition there. Lost soul mates the both of them.
This is why I'd like to get hold of a copy of the whole review as I suspect you're right. Bradman actually wrote Farewell to Cricket rather than it being ghosted, and similarly Jardine wrote his two books on the 32/33 and 34 Ashes series himself and there are definite similarities in the way they write