• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

archie mac

International Coach
out of 316 tests between england and australia the first nine took place before the birth of ashes. one test in 1882 was played without involving ashes. three matches took place between them in the 1912 triangular (with SA being the third team). There were 3 tests played after the kerry packer schism was brought to an end with ashes not at stake. there were also a centenary test each in both countries sometime in the 70s. and one bicentenary test. so 19 must be the answer

after deducting these 19 tests from the 316 between the teams, about 297 tests have been played for ashes, i would say.
I can't ever remember reading that the Ashes were not up for grabs in 1912?

bagapath

International Captain
I can't ever remember reading that the Ashes were not up for grabs in 1912?
it was the triangular tournament involving eng, aus and south africa in which the four leggies for SA faulkner, vogler, schwartz and dont remember the fourth guy's name made waves in the english press and in the grounds. it was a flop tournament IIRC

the MCC england disctinction you are making is very interesting.

if that is the case then probably eng and aus have played in three non-ashes tests. i am assuming the 79-80 series to be between in eng and australia; with mcc taking the field for centenary, bicentenary tests.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I am the most recent player to have achieved a feat only three players have previous achieved. Who am I and what is my feat?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
When was it decided it was not part of the Ashes?

A lot of people feel that series finished two all and Australia retained the Ashes
It was never part of the Ashes series. England had won the series 2-1 and this was accepted at the time. The extra match was added and was experimental with each innings being played on a different pitch.

archie mac

International Coach
It was never part of the Ashes series. England had won the series 2-1 and this was accepted at the time. The extra match was added and was experimental with each innings being played on a different pitch.
Yes I know that but they had agreed to play it before they arrived in the country, the difference was that Australia were allowed to pick from all players, where as before Australia could only pick from those who toured England in 1882

The pitches was a strange thing but there are plenty of things from those days which we would consider very strange today:)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Yes I know that but they had agreed to play it before they arrived in the country, the difference was that Australia were allowed to pick from all players, where as before Australia could only pick from those who toured England in 1882

The pitches was a strange thing but there are plenty of things from those days which we would consider very strange today:)

It was still never part of the Ashes series and it was decreed before hand that it wouldn't be, so there has never been any notion that Australia retained the Ashes.