• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Cricket Trivia - 'SJS format'

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
Q11 Is it batting related? no

Q12 is it related to physical attribute? no

Clue= It is a rare skill that Ernie had, that not many Cricketers have had or to many people. That linked him with the other more famous players, all of whom I would think did/do not have this skill. He is linked more closly with Frank.
This must be Archie Mac's most cryptic of questions !! :laugh: :laugh:

In an attempt to stump everyone, he has excelled himself by making the question very cryptic and almost unfathomable and extremely vague !! :D

I think I have finally figured out what Archie Mac is after !!

Ernie Maccormick was a jeweller in later life and it is well known that he designed (or was commissioned by Sir Don Bradman in his capacity in the then Australian Cricket Board to design and make ) Sir Frank Worrell Trophy apparently incorporating the tied test Ball (of the tied test between West Indies and Australia).
So that's why Archie Mac says Ernie is closely linked to Frank Worrall.

John Wisden gives his name to Wisden Trophy played between West Indies and England and Border and Gavaskar give their names to the Border-Gavaskar trophy named after them.

I think this is the link to Archie Mac's cryptic trivia !! :laugh: :laugh:

Right Archie ? :laugh:

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
JASON said:
This must be Archie Mac's most cryptic of questions !! :laugh: :laugh:

In an attempt to stump everyone, he has excelled himself by making the question very cryptic and almost unfathomable and extremely vague !! :D

I think I have finally figured out what Archie Mac is after !!

Ernie Maccormick was a jeweller in later life and it is well known that he designed (or was commissioned by Sir Don Bradman in his capacity in the then Australian Cricket Board to design and make ) Sir Frank Worrell Trophy apparently incorporating the tied test Ball (of the tied test between West Indies and Australia).
So that's why Archie Mac says Ernie is closely linked to Frank Worrall.

John Wisden gives his name to Wisden Trophy played between West Indies and England and Border and Gavaskar give their names to the Border-Gavaskar trophy named after them.

I think this is the link to Archie Mac's cryptic trivia !! :laugh: :laugh:

Right Archie ? :laugh:
Spot on Jason, I thought I might reach the 20 question mark with this one, but you were to good for me.

Well done, your turn Jason
:)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Question

An American who owned a great cricketing establishment !! (for those of you anti americans/american haters out there !!) . Also had other involvements with Cricket !!

Who is he ? Who introduced him to the game ? What establishment did he own ? What were his other links with cricket ?

Let the questions begin

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
William Roch Wister.(or his son John Wister)

Known as the father and later even as the Grandfather of Cricket in America.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think it's John Paul Getty junior. He had a private cricket ground built in his estate at Wormsley, used to own Wisden, was friends with Brian Johnston & still often pictures shown on cricinfo are credited to "Getty images".

I dunno who introduced him to cricket tho.

Oh, and he saw the light! Took British citizenship in 1997! ;)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SJS said:
William Roch Wister.(or his son John Wister)

Known as the father and later even as the Grandfather of Cricket in America.
Nope . But that's interesting info on Mr. Wister. :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
I think it's John Paul Getty junior. He had a private cricket ground built in his estate at Wormsley, used to own Wisden, was friends with Brian Johnston & still often pictures shown on cricinfo are credited to "Getty images".

I dunno who introduced him to cricket tho.

Oh, and he saw the light! Took British citizenship in 1997! ;)
Correct . It is John Paul Getty junior or otherwise known as JP II . (or commonly as Paul Getty). He did own Wisden . It was Mick Jagger who introduced him to cricket . And he did have a private cricket ground where it was a well known tradition for visiting teams to play a match against Paul Getty selection Team (of county and ex -England and ex-other country players).

For those interested here's a link on Getty - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Getty

Your turn to post question Boy Brumby ! :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ok, I'll try to make it half-decent! :p

I have a modest test record, but a unique distinction among my fellow countrymen. Who am I & what is my unique distinction?