• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nathan Hauritz

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well because some people say that if 3 can't do the job then.... etc etc.
If three can't do the job and four can't, then just pick three bowlers. Has been done before now, by Australia not so very long ago.
But if you have different types of bowlers then it should make a difference.
Why? You need quality, not variety. If the quality is not there, variety will make no difference; if the quality is there, variety is unneccessary. Crap and varied bowling is no better than crap and one-dimensional bowling.

inbox24

International Debutant
Yeah you're right. Keep it simple just pick the four best bowlers in the country. If no spinner then so be it.

howardj

International Coach
Good contribution from Horrie.

If the weather holds out, he'll have a huge role to play in what should be a thrilling denouement to this match.

howardj

International Coach
...plus their best batsman, and an economy rate in the 3s.

Seriously, he's no Warne, but he is a serviceable international offie.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
...plus their best batsman, and an economy rate in the 3s.

Seriously, he's no Warne, but he is a serviceable international offie.
Technically true, but 3.98 all but 4. Whole 1.5 per over more than Swann. KP's dismissal was a brain-fart too; if he wasn't so dead set on premeditating that paddle and left it alone it would probably have been called wide.

He's a decent one day bowler who looks out of his depth.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hauritz's Test career so far has had something of a Panesar\Harmison-esque knack of picking-up a large proportion of wickets that add virtually nothing to the team's cause but take the bowler's figures from very poor to merely poor. While in between times failing to meet the required standards on the occasions where it does matter and thus costing his team plenty.

Hopefully for Australia's sake as well as cricket's, that'll change soon with Hauritz as it hasn't with Harmison or MSP.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hauritz would love to have the career record that Steve Harmison has had.

I don't rate his bowling too high at all but it looks like we are stuck with him on any pitch that offers something for the spin bowlers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hauritz would love to have the career record that Steve Harmison has had.
To date, he does. It's, obviously, exceptionally unlikely that he'll have the sort of 7-match run that Harmison enjoyed in early-2004. But as I say, he's done exactly what Harmison has on countless occasions in almost every Test he's played so far - picked-up 1 or 2 cheap, near-useless-to-the-team wickets which have made very poor figures look merely poor or even respectable.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has some pretty good names to his list;

Tendulkar, Laxman, Kallis, Smith & Peitersen.

Fair enough he got Pietersen to a 'brian-fart', but it could be the continued pressure and well set fields that led to the dismissal.

howardj

International Coach
Five matches, 17 wickets @ 30 with an economy rate under three - what's wrong with that? I've watched Hauritz closely in domestic ODIs, and his bowling has improved out of sight. I believe, given Ponting shows confidence in him like he did last night, he can make commensurate improvements in the Test match theatre.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Five matches, 17 wickets @ 30 with an economy rate under three - what's wrong with that? I've watched Hauritz closely in domestic ODIs, and his bowling has improved out of sight. I believe, given Ponting shows confidence in him like he did last night, he can make commensurate improvements in the Test match theatre.
This is true, he really is bowling a lot better than even two years ago. Still doesn't justify his spot in the side, stats or no, but there's little doubt he appears to be getting better themore confidence is shown in him by the selectors.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think people are playing the figures and not the spell here. He actually turned in better figures than Hilfenhaus or Siddle in the first innings, but it's madness to say he bowled a patch on either. As a pom I'll be delighted if the selectors give him another go based on two gifts and Monty Panesar.

Ordinary in the extreme to my eyes, but I've been wrong before.

Burgey

I think people are playing the figures and not the spell here. He actually turned in better figures than Hilfenhaus or Siddle in the first innings, but it's madness to say he bowled a patch on either. As a pom I'll be delighted if the selectors give him another go based on two gifts and Monty Panesar.

Ordinary in the extreme to my eyes, but I've been wrong before.
He's in the team here simply because of the deck and the over-rates paranoia imo. I'm not saying he's the worst bowler ever, but if they weren't playing on a pitch slated to turn so much, I'd have been astonished if Clark didn't play (excepting some injury concern).

If Australia build a big enough lead that England's 2nd dig is likely to be the last completed innings of the test (and that remains a big if) then he'll have his chance in probably the best conditions of the tour to contribute to a famous win. If he proves ineffectual, I'd expect he'll be signing his own warrant for the balance of the series.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Best description I've seen of Hauritz. From an Aussie supporter no less:

As for Horroritz lulz!! lol what a waste of time and waste of space. Took a truly brainless shot from Kevinder who gifted him his wicket, it was ridiculous. I can't see how he would have remotely fluked a wicket otherwise. But unfortunately we've got from having two world class leggies to a nub like Horroritz who can't spin a bottle let alone the ball. Plus he looks too much like a wuss, like a bloke you would beat up behind the toilets after school. How can you be scared of a bloke who looks like Doogie Howser??

Burgey

Best description I've seen of Hauritz. From an Aussie supporter no less:
There is something of a resemblance there, for sure.

Nathan Hauritz at work at his day job:

Doogie Howser MD dishing it up to the Poms:

pup11

International Coach
I think Hauritz receives ridiculous amount of flak, he does the job for which he is picked almost everytime,but like every spinner to have any sort of impact he needs the trust and backing of his capatain, which I don't think he has atm.

Nobody should be under the illusion that Hauritz would win Australia a test on his own, he is there just as a support bowler to the seamers, though as it has been said, when Australia bowl again at Cardiff, he would have a good opportunity to impress the selectors and captain on a spinning track.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
I think he's an effective (if not brilliant) ODI spinner and a slightly underrated Test bowler. He is far from brilliant and he bled too many runs in England's first innings. However, he did take three wickets and he looked more threatening than either Panesar or Swann (neither of whom troubled Ponting or Katich greatly).

Top_Cat

I think he's an effective (if not brilliant) ODI spinner and a slightly underrated Test bowler. He is far from brilliant and he bled too many runs in England's first innings. However, he did take three wickets and he looked more threatening than either Panesar or Swann (neither of whom troubled Ponting or Katich greatly).
I think the reason why Hauritz gets so much stick, though, is because it's perceived that he's bowling his nuts off just to compete whereas Swann is still finding his range.

Was funny when Hauritz only started getting taken to when he was really turning them. Had a look of surprise which said "I bowl the ball outside off and it ends up over leg. Why's it doing that?!" He definitely bowled as well as I've ever seen him bowl yesterday, no doubt. It's a worrysome thought for Aus when he's off his game, though.