• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MY View on this

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
AussieDominance said:
It has but it is my feeling England could have an even better breeding ground if they made it 8 teams as the competition would be much stronger and full of most of the players who actually have a chance of playing for England.
Actually I'm not so sure it would since employment laws over here mean there's a lot of non-English qualified players around (as they're cheaper relatively speaking) - so they're more likely to be kept on.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:
Its been a complete Shambles, England have been simply badly led in ever department. Australia have not played that well to get the Ashes back, Duncan Fletcher has simply lost the plot the man is simply turning himself into a bit of a joke and the ECB should do the decent thing and SACK HIM picking Giles over Panesar was shocking. Flintoff has showed that like Botham he is out of his depth as a Skipper he simply cannot lead the troops and a lot of the time his fielding postions has been woeful.

Here a Small Blueprint of what should happen:-

1) Sack Duncan Fletcher
2) Appoint Strauss as Skipper until Vaughan is fit
3) Giles, Mahmood, G Jones and Trescothick should never wear an England shirt again
4) Sack Shine and double Cooleys wages to get him back
5) Sack Graveney and Appoint Graham Gooch as Chairman of Selectors
6) Get Bowlers playing more County Cricket
7) Sack Phil Neale as the Tour as been a shambles, should have bee 2 4 days games before the First Test
8) Play Panesar ever game he is class
9) Steve Davies should be Englands Wicketkeeper
10) give Harmy, Anderson one last chance
11) Hold an Academy to find a good quick Bowler
12) Aboilsh the Academy as we cannot beat Second Xi state sides

and dont get me started on the Domestic issues

One last note my Best Wishes goes out to Ashley Giles Wife who i hope gets better soon

These should
I think you've got some decent points there, and some knee-jerk overreactions. But I've highlighted a point in bold in your first paragraph, and you need to give the Aussies credit where it's due. I think they've played superb cricket this series.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The Sean said:
I think you've got some decent points there, and some knee-jerk overreactions. But I've highlighted a point in bold in your first paragraph, and you need to give the Aussies credit where it's due. I think they've played superb cricket this series.
Agreed, Chris has made some valid points, but Australia have played some of the best Cricket I've seen in recent years.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Agreed, Chris has made some valid points, but Australia have played some of the best Cricket I've seen in recent years.
They played better cricket in SA IMO. And poor Graeme Smith, they completely destroyed him personally, didn't they? Never seen anything like it. The man still hasn't recovered.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Why sack Fletcher? He has made some poor desicions, but remember he did win the Ashes back for us in 2005.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
Why sack Fletcher? He has made some poor desicions, but remember he did win the Ashes back for us in 2005.
Have to stop living 15 months ago. Since then, you've lost 2-0 in Pakistan, did well 1-1 in India, then did badly with 1-1 against Sri Lanka, and then did well 3-0 in Pakistan...and then got completely owned 3-0 so far in Australia.

Very mixed, and certainly not matching the couple years before Ashes 2005. Its not a bad thing to think he has taken this team as far as he can, and its time for a change.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think we might have reached saturation point with Fletch... look for better, longer words in an upcoming feature...

Tom Moddy and Bob Woolmer are far better coaches than Fletcher and would do a better job.

It's more of a case of who wouldn't, really.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Saqqy Mush said:
Tom Moddy and Bob Woolmer are far better coaches than Fletcher and would do a better job.

It's more of a case of who wouldn't, really.
Are you sure? Bob Woolmer's English, after all...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Disturbingly enough, Chappell might be available even if we win a series in SA (making it two successive away series won outside the subcontinent, which would be two more than the amount won in 20 years). It would depend on how we do in WC.

Crazy bunch, us Indians. If he's available, he wouldn't be a bad person for the job. I think he is a very good coach, and so is Tom Moody I think.

marc71178 said:
Actually I'm not so sure it would since employment laws over here mean there's a lot of non-English qualified players around (as they're cheaper relatively speaking) - so they're more likely to be kept on.
So youre saying the County Championship structure is right as Kolpak's can strengthen the comp?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
AussieDominance said:
So youre saying the County Championship structure is right as Kolpak's can strengthen the comp?
No, he's saying that because of the employment laws meaning the ECB cannot stop Kolpaks, that reducing the number of teams would probably mean a large reduction in places available for English players.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Youth, Club and Second xi need Tweaking, it time for a overhaul as players get lost, and are in a comfort zone