• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My changes to the 50-over game

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's largely down to unimaginative captaincy rather than any fault with the format. Dhoni is the only captain who immediately springs to mind when I try and think of captains that have actually shown a bit of flexibility and imagination in taking the batting powerplay.
Afridi does it very often too. But that's usually because Pakistan is at 80-8 after 30 overs and the powerplay helps them to reach the 100 mark :ph34r:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, I guess it actually means that the pacemen might stay involved for longer, but spinners don't mind (in general) bowling with a reasonable new ball. Harder seam, and ball, provides more bounce and spit, rather than a soft, white, battered ball scuffed up for reverse swing later in the innings.
Which gets changed at 35 overs to a newer one which hardly swings in last 10 overs. In the past bowlers boomeranged the old white ball. Apart for Malinga, no one is doing that today. The better would be to have a ball(s) that is not going to get changed, so bowlers can work it on till the last ball is bowled.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Spinners these days open the bowling. Game has changed. Spinners should learn to do it. I was personally against the two ball method few years back due to the same reason. But spinners have suffered more due to flatter pitches and through the line hitters. Seam movement for the pacemen will mean few of the top are knocked down or at least kept quiet when spinners take the ball. That will help spinners to get more wickets as well.
That just means you're relegating spinners to a support role. Spinners should be able to get a bowl early and try and dismiss top order batsmen, not wait for the pacemen to go through the upper order and be satisfied with leftovers. Two new balls from the start is a terrible terrible idea.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
That just means you're relegating spinners to a support role. Spinners should be able to get a bowl early and try and dismiss top order batsmen, not wait for the pacemen to go through the upper order and be satisfied with leftovers. Two new balls from the start is a terrible terrible idea.
But look at the current scenario. You get spinners at 10th over when fast men have disappeared for 60+ runs. The automatically their role becomes nothing but defensive. And in 35th over also you get a ball change which dictates fast bowler to be brought back. This move will stop that break of momentum as well. If spinners want to bowl early, let them bowl with the new ball. Murali did it with the red ball, so did Randiv and so did Dipak Patel with the white ball. And I could personally say that as a spinner I loved that new ball. Because some balls did slide in with the arm when it hit the shine (I was a wrist spinner), and caught the batsmen dumbfounded as they have picked a leg break out of the hand. Spinners will love to bowl at two batsmen at 75/2 in the 20th over than 60/0 in the 10th over.

Last edited:

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
IF I had a dollar for every conversation I have heard about when to take the power play I would be a rich man. I can't stand the constant conversations about it.

I will give the 12 over idea some thought - one draw back of it as a batting side is that you have to face 12 overs of Dale Steyn. I think scores in cricket will go down somewhat which isn't necessarily what the public wants to see.
Oh God I hate the 'they should be taking the powerplay now' stuff too.

But I gotta disagree about your 12 over argument. I think the public would much rather see an extra 2 overs of Steyn, than an extra 5-10 milked runs on the scoresheet. I think 12 overs is a great idea.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Something way off that I thought about a while back was to allow a bowler an extra over on top of the quota of 10 for every wicket he got.
3 wickets=13 overs etc...

Would lead to some interesting strategies, and means that better bowlers are always in the action. Also would lead to aggressive field placings and captaincy.
This is actually a pretty cool idea I think. It will be good fun seeing a bowler take a wicket in what would have been his last over.

Any idea that makes the captain have to think more is a good addition to ODI.

tooextracool

International Coach
Personally, my number one change would be to scrap them. International cricket would be much better would without them.

Flem274*

123/5
There's a few spinners around who like a new ball. I'm a hack spinner so I don't count, but I enjoy bowling with a new ball. More bounce, intact seam and the chance of it sliding on, as Miagara said.

Last edited: