• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My All Time Test and ODI XI

listento_me

U19 Captain
I'm new here so I thought Id put forward my all time Test and ODI XI. It's always a fun exercise doing something along these lines plus you guys can get to know more about me on cricketing terms. I've tried to be as objective as possible, disregarding favouritism as much as I possibly can.

Test XI:

1. Matthew Hayden AUS
2. Jack Hobbs ENG
3. Don Bradman AUS
4. Sachin Tendulkar IND
5. Viv Richards WI
6. Gary Sobers WI
7. Imran Khan (c) PAK
8. Adam Gilchrist (wk) AUS
9. Wasim Akram PAK
10. Shane Warne AUS
11. Glenn McGrath AUS
12th man - Malcolm Marshall

ODI XI:

1. Sachin Tendulkar IND
2. Saeed Anwar PAK
3. Ricky Ponting (c) AUS
4. Kumar Sangakkara SL
5. Viv Richards WI
6. Inzamam Ul-Haq PAK
7. Adam Gilchrist (wk) AUS
8. Wasim Akram PAK
9. Muttiah Muralitharan SL
10. Glenn McGrath AUS
11. Waqar Younis PAK
12th man - Jacques Kallis

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dump Hayden, get Marshall into the XI and I've no real complaints of your Test side.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Hayden batted in a gluttonous land of plenty in which the pitches flattened and Australian batting averages soared. He was a good player, but built his record mostly out of taking advantage of the easiest conditions and generally struggled to match the better players in his own team otherwise.

Players like Gavaskar and Hutton faced down much tougher challenges and still had better records than Hayden. Even if you wanted a modern, aggressive opener from the 21st century for your side you could still pick Sehwag, who also averaged over 50 as an opener and was at least unique.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Hayden batted in a gluttonous land of plenty in which the pitches flattened and Australian batting averages soared. He was a good player, but built his record mostly out of taking advantage of the easiest conditions and generally struggled to match the better players in his own team otherwise.

Players like Gavaskar and Hutton faced down much tougher challenges and still had better records than Hayden. Even if you wanted a modern, aggressive opener from the 21st century for your side you could still pick Sehwag, who also averaged over 50 as an opener and was at least unique.
What was unique about Sehwag in comparison to Hayden?

Matty was also better in a global sense and a better choice for someone in more than just flat conditions.

It's ironic you talk about flat pitches and picking up easier runs yet mention Sehwag as a better choice.

OverratedSanity

What was unique about Sehwag in comparison to Hayden?

Matty was also better in a global sense and a better choice for someone in more than just flat conditions.

It's ironic you talk about flat pitches and picking up easier runs yet mention Sehwag as a better choice.
Sehwag was more unique because he could essentially score almost 300 in a day when on song. Hayden, though an attacking batsman wasn't a 300-in-a-day opener. Don't think Hayden was better in a global sense either, if what you mean is performances in different countries. He didn't do well in England, NZ, SA, and neither did Sehwag

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
Sehwag was more unique because he could essentially score almost 300 in a day when on song. Hayden, though an attacking batsman wasn't a 300-in-a-day opener. Don't think Hayden was better in a global sense either, if what you mean is performances in different countries. He didn't do well in England, NZ, SA, and neither did Sehwag
Matt the bat did well in SA iirc

Gob

International Coach
Hawaskar ahead of Hayden and Marshall over Wasim and this may well be my AT Test cricket xi

And Gilchrist bats ahead of Imran wtf was that

Last edited:

listento_me

U19 Captain
Hawaskar ahead of Hayden and Marshall over Wasim and this may well be my AT Test cricket xi

And Gilchrist bats ahead of Imran wtf was that
Gavaskar was too slow and too much of an accumulator, not great when there's Hobbs at the other end. I like opening batsmen to have unique traits to one another but Gavaskar is a better shout than Sehwag, as would Haynes and Greenidge.

What do you mean? I have khan ahead of Gilchrist.

Btw, noway can Marshall be in the team and not Was. Was was a better all round bowler, longer career, more wickets, amazing average considering where so much of his career was played etc etc etc.

Hayden did better than Sehwag away from home.

Zinzan

I don't see what Sehwag's got to do with the price of fish given he's not a contender for an all-time World Test XI opener either... you never heard of Hutton or Gavaskar?

Not that I care that much for either, but if I was pushed between Sehwag and Hayden, I'd probably pick Hayden, but it's a close thing.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
What do you mean? I have khan ahead of Gilchrist.
No way you'd bat Imran ahead of Gilchrist. Gilchrist at 7, Imran at 8. Errytime.

Btw, noway can Marshall be in the team and not Was. Was was a better all round bowler, longer career, more wickets, amazing average considering where so much of his career was played etc etc etc.
Not sure where this comes from? Better all round bowler, how so? Longer career, yes, and more wickets only because he played a few more tests. Marshall had a better average, significantly better SR, better overall record in all conditions, and took more wickets per test.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Anyway, I love an ATG thread.

Mine today:

Tests

01. Len Hutton
02. Victor Trumper
03. Don Bradman
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Viv Richards
06. Garry Sobers
07. Adam Gilchrist
08. Richard Hadlee
09. Malcolm Marshall
10. Shane Warne
11. Glenn McGrath
12. SF Barnes

ODIs

01. Sachin Tendulkar
02. Mark Waugh
03. Viv Richards
04. Zaheer Abbas
05. AB DeVilliers
06. MS Dhoni
07. Andrew Symonds
08. Wasim Akram
09. Joel Garner
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Glenn McGrath
12. Andrew Flintoff

Brian Lara

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wow, quickly realising how criminally underrated Hayden is around here. I don't care what era it is, averaging 50 as a opener is mighty impressive. Its also a myth that Sehwag's average is over 50 for whoever said that. Hayden is the best opening bat in the last 15 years.

Zinzan

Smith is clearly behind the likes of Hobbs, Hutton & Gavaskar, but is definitely above Hayden & Sehwag for mine... and definitely my no.1 opener in the last 10-15 years.