• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali's run out and the spirit of the game.

Were NZ right o run out Murali?

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
nightprowler10 said:
Rare? Yes. Inane? Not necessarily. Either way, it does exist.
*SHRUG*, if it lessens your chance of winning, I consider it inane. If I were the captain, I wouldn't have it in my team.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was a pathetic knowledge of the rules from Muralitharan and I don't know why you guys keep going on about it, McCullum was perfectly entitled to do what he did and I think it's pretty weak that this is being brought up time after time.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
silentstriker said:
*SHRUG*, if it lessens your chance of winning, I consider it inane. If I were the captain, I wouldn't have it in my team.
then you wouldn't be a good sportsman i guess...just a competitor...

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Perm said:
It was a pathetic knowledge of the rules from Muralitharan and I don't know why you guys keep going on about it, McCullum was perfectly entitled to do what he did and I think it's pretty weak that this is being brought up time after time.
no one is saying what McCullum did was wrong....just not being a good sportsman

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
Well then its a good thing you suck at cricket. :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
LA ICE-E said:
disargee there's plenty of sportsmenship out there...sledgeing/trash talking is just being competitive to get into oponents heads and the end of the game they still shake hands which is sportsmenship and bonds even congratulates sangakkara after his hunderd ...
i am not talking about animals playing against animals....shaking hands, congratulating an opponent is just basic courtesy...what are you talking about???!!! those are not examples of sportsmanship...! there are rare cases of sportsmanship still to be seen in cricket like a lara or a gilchrist walking when they know they are out, there used to be a walsh or a srinath who warned batsmen who backed up too far as they were about to deliver the ball instead of calmly running them out, another example of sportsmanship...they were exceptions then, they are even rarer exceptions now....

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah, there isn't plenty out there, but its out there. Walking, not claiming a catch that you know you grounded, etc.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Can we also please end the comparisons to underarm?

Murali brought this on himself; NZ didn't.
Why ?

NZ chose to run him out when he went out to congratulate a guy who had scored an extremely deserving Century. (and he had tried his best to stay there with him to get him there.)

NZ brought it on themselves in the Underarm episode by leaving till the last ball to score 6 runs which they probably never were going to get anyway had Trevor bowled overarm, right arm, left arm, bent arm , loopy arm.... any which way you look at it and Mackechnie was extremely extremely extremely unlikely -you could say 10 million (or even 100 million )to one to get a 6 off that ball to draw the ODI !!!

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
To be fair, there is a huge difference between this and the under-arm incident. The latter effectively ended the game and decided the result of the match. Murali's runout however did not.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
JASON said:
Why ?

NZ chose to run him out when he went out to congratulate a guy who had scored an extremely deserving Century. (and he had tried his best to stay there with him to get him there.)

NZ brought it on themselves in the Underarm episode by leaving till the last ball to score 6 runs which they probably never were going to get anyway had Trevor bowled overarm, right arm, left arm, bent arm , loopy arm.... any which way you look at it and Mackechnie was extremely extremely extremely unlikely -you could say 10 million (or even 100 million )to one to get a 6 off that ball to draw the ODI !!!
TBF I'd say that's a pretty good argument for Australia not bowling the last ball underarm, wouldn't you?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
TBF I'd say that's a pretty good argument for Australia not bowling the last ball underarm, wouldn't you?
I would put the same argument back to you .. If you use the same argument in this incident isn't that good reason for the Kiwis to not run this guy out in this manner ?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Loving this debate in regards to sportsmanship.

First of all, NZ didn't do anything wrong. Was within the laws of the game, and Murali knew better. And to be quite honest, I don't think McCullum saw Murali initially going to congratulate his partner on 100. We're all seeing this with the benefit of hindsight and television replays. Remember, it's a fast game and McCullum would've been watching the ball coming in. He gets the ball, sees and turns the batsman is out of his crease and whips off the bails.

In fact, if you watch the video replay of the run out, in two angles you can plainly see Brendon McCullum watching the ball with his back to Murali as Murali touches his bat down and sets off to congratulate. McCullum collects the ball, turns and takes out the stumps.

There's been two signs of complacent cricket here - one from Murali and one from the umpire, getting too far ahead of themselves in the state of play.

Sportsmanship. In cricket, as far as I'm concerned, sportsmanship applies mainly off the field and in between the action.

For example - it's sportsmanship to congratulate a batsman on their hundred, or fifty, or to clap the opposition captain on/off a field, etc.

However, in between the time that the ball is bowled and the ball is dead, all sportsmanship goes out the window. As mentioned earlier (I think, in another thread) if a batsman falls while taking a run and he's out of the crease, you don't go and help him up while the ball is live and play is happening. Quite simply, you run him out. THEN you go and help him up.

The football analogy with the goalie was used before. Another one might be in league or union. If the ball is kicked and a guy on the opposite team drops the catch, fumbling it to one of your guys giving you an opportunity to score a try, you'll score a try. You won't say "oh hard luck on dropping the catch. Here, have another go?"

No. Because that's not professional. At this level, what McCullum did was professional and in the best interests of his team. I don't think he did anything wrong professional-wise or sportsman-wise.

If you want to get on the subject of sportsmanship in regards to Sri Lanka, what about Prasanna Jayawardene holding onto the ball for longer than normal, hoping the batsman would leave his crease to do gardening, or something similar?

If the excuse is "because NZ did it" then automatically, NZ did nothing wrong.

If the excuse is "to get a wicket" then thats fine, because thats what NZ did.

:mellow:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Now we are trying to find an Excuse for Macullum are we ?

Macullum in the interviews has repeatedly said he knew what he was doing ... So don't try to find an excuse there ...

Your assertions of Prasanna J is a load of BS , to be honest .

Last edited: