• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali's reputation in tatters? Check this out.

DT8

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Look if it was Elliot, Waugh, Lee, Bucknor Vs. Simpson

i know who i'd believe

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Okay, then what if it was:

Elliot, Waugh, Lee, Bucknor vs. Simpson, Gower, Broad, Hair, Emerson, Gilchrist, Butcher, Bedi, Roebuck

Of course, there are plenty more people who think that Murali chucks (and more who think that he doesn't) but you're only really allowed to comment if you think he doesn't. Otherwise you're reprimanded and fined for bringing the game into disrepute.

DT8

ok fair enough...

but I think some of those you mentioned could have hidden agendas, such as Aussies wanting Warne to be held in higher regard.

However there is no reason for Elliot, Bucknor, Waugh to have a hidden agenda...

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
There have been plenty of cricketers, batsmen and bowlers, in the past were perceived as better than the Australians, and none of them were accused of anything. There are some who believe that Courtney Walsh had a bit of a dodgy action, yet no Australian discredited him in the hope that it would make Glenn McGrath look better. And most of the people who say he chucks have been saying it for years, long before he was about to break the Test wickets record, so I don't buy that either. Remember, he was first reported in 1996, so this is hardly a new thing.

Anyway, what hidden agendas would Bedi, Butcher, Broad, Roebuck and Gower have?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
DJ Bumfluff said:
There are some who believe that Courtney Walsh had a bit of a dodgy action, yet no Australian discredited him in the hope that it would make Glenn McGrath look better.
Peter Taylor. Though not to make McGrath look better: to make Warne look better.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
DJ Bumfluff said:
Remember, he was first reported in 1996, so this is hardly a new thing.

He was also cleared in 1996, but don't let that stop the consistent hounding of him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
DJ Bumfluff said:
You haven't read a word I've said.
Oh, I've read what you've said, just asking you to prove these allegations (something you've not been able to do yet)

DJ Bumfluff said:
Since you got involved in this issue you've had no interest in debating the points presented. Why are you here at all?
I've debated the relevant points, but I'm not one to accept unfounded suspicions (some of which have been plausibly explained) from someone whose posts clearly reveal his feelings about the bowler to be be anti.

DT8

DJ Bumfluff said:
Anyway, what hidden agendas would Bedi, Butcher, Broad, Roebuck and Gower have?
Bedi once said "I am on a relentless mission to get the name Muralitharan expunged from cricket records"

Butcher is part of an English team who were destroyed single handedly by him.

Broad has close links to the current Eng team.

Roebuck says he chucks the doosra only.

anzac

International Debutant
Adamc said:
The problem, though, is how consistent the action has to be for it to be deemed 'consistent'. If you remove all quantitative measures, then it is essentially a subjective decision, not independent of bias. If you do use quantitative measures, then you will have people constantly questioning where the limits should be set at. It's a lose-lose situation really.
by now there should be enough stats kept from Tests from various sources to be able to determine a bowler's general characteristics such as run up & bowling speeds for certain types of deliveries.........this then gives you a mean template as a base line...bowling is as much about repetition and rythmn so there should not be a great variation on these.........

furthermore I'd be curious to see when during the day the bowler is being 'called', and if this is being factored into the testing - eg the problem may have something to do with fatigue & only shows up under physical duress, not just during an 'effort' ball, it could involve bowling around the wicket & adjustments made for line etc.........as such it could be a combination of factors which may not be replicated during the testing & as a result it may not show up...........

:D

anzac

International Debutant
I want him banned for continuing to use a delivery that has shown to be outside the allowable parameters as agreed upon within the rules of the game.......

all the resulting debate about the testing or whether the parameters are right or wrong or should be changed now is irrelevant & a red herring intended to shift the focus from the fact that the testing showed he was beyond the limits.......part of the age old tactic of divide and conquor...(sp??)

fair enough the limits can be questioned, but not disregarded because they are thought to be wrong.........

another slant (just to spice things up a bit more) - what action should a batsman take if given out to the doosra - should he accept the decision or should he stand his ground on the basis that it is an illegal delivery under the current ruling????? if he stands his ground how is his action any different in principal to that currently taken by Murali to continue to use the delivery & why should the batsman be subsequently punished if Murali is not?????

me thinks some dangerous precedents are in the offering if the ICC do not get their act together quickly...........

:devil2:

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
Oh, I've read what you've said, just asking you to prove these allegations (something you've not been able to do yet)
Bowling speed, length of run-up, blah blah blah...

No, you're right. I don't know why these factors make me suspicious of the testing procedure at all. Of course, you know this as you read my previous posts...

And you STILL haven't told me why Broad's presence at the tests would guarantee a guilty verdict.

Langeveldt

Soutie
If I was bowled the Doosra by Murali I would do a Rutherford and chuck one back at him when I could next get hold of the ball...

I still dont get what is so amazingly different about his doosrachuck to his stockchuck... Am i missing something glaring???

Slow Love™

International Captain
anzac said:
another slant (just to spice things up a bit more) - what action should a batsman take if given out to the doosra - should he accept the decision or should he stand his ground on the basis that it is an illegal delivery under the current ruling????? if he stands his ground how is his action any different in principal to that currently taken by Murali to continue to use the delivery & why should the batsman be subsequently punished if Murali is not?????

me thinks some dangerous precedents are in the offering if the ICC do not get their act together quickly...........

:devil2:
The sad irony of all this is that the ICC, in their infinite wisdom, would almost definitely slap a charge of bringing the game into disrepute on any batsman that tried it. There is, however, one man (and maybe only one) who refuses to be bullied by the ICC. I can see it now...

DARWIN, JUNE, 4004: The ball turns the other way, the stumps are shattered. Murali leaps for joy; Steve Bucknor's hand shoots upwards instantly. The dismissed batsman stands his ground, and lifts his visor. It's Stuart MacGill! He looks up the pitch at Bucknor, and speaks:

"I'm sorry, but in all conscience, I cannot go. This man's flagrant disobediance of the rules is completely immoral."

The crowd roars! Chris Broad cries tears of joy on Bishen Bedi's shoulder, and Arjuna Ranatunga beats up on some schoolkids. Murali, knowing that the jig is up, completely straightens his arm as he waves the crowd goodbye, forever. Shane Warne runs over to Bucknor, and rips his mask off - it's Bruce Yardley! "And I would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for you meddling kids", he says, as he is led off the ground by the police in handcuffs.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Slow Love™ said:
The sad irony of all this is that the ICC, in their infinite wisdom, would almost definitely slap a charge of bringing the game into disrepute on any batsman that tried it. There is, however, one man (and maybe only one) who refuses to be bullied by the ICC. I can see it now...

DARWIN, JUNE, 4004: The ball turns the other way, the stumps are shattered. Murali leaps for joy; Steve Bucknor's hand shoots upwards instantly. The dismissed batsman stands his ground, and lifts his visor. It's Stuart MacGill! He looks up the pitch at Bucknor, and speaks:

"I'm sorry, but in all conscience, I cannot go. This man's flagrant disobediance of the rules is completely immoral."

The crowd roars! Chris Broad cries tears of joy on Bishen Bedi's shoulder, and Arjuna Ranatunga beats up on some schoolkids. Murali, knowing that the jig is up, completely straightens his arm as he waves the crowd goodbye, forever. Shane Warne runs over to Bucknor, and rips his mask off - it's Bruce Yardley! "And I would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for you meddling kids", he says, as he is led off the ground by the police in handcuffs.

Cracking stuff :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
If I was bowled the Doosra by Murali I would do a Rutherford and chuck one back at him when I could next get hold of the ball...

I still dont get what is so amazingly different about his doosrachuck to his stockchuck... Am i missing something glaring???
The huge difference between the two deliveries that it appears anyone with eyes can tell.

DT8

Langeveldt said:
I gotta agree with Neil. This is the stupidest thing i've heard.