• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali may pull out of Australian tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
if murali pulls out of the australian tour. he will officially be a little bitch. who cares if someone calls you a chucker. The aussies have to put up with sledging and the like when they go to the subcontinent and even brett lee got hammered at the mcg when england played them ( the barmy army shouted no ball every time he bowled). I was at the match at the WACA when murali didnt play a couple of years ago. And when he was doing a few laps around the oval, nearly every australian fan shouted out chucker and maid the chucking motion with his arm. if he doesnt think he is a chucker then he shouldnt care what other people think. i personally think he is a chucker

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Kenny said:
And in relation to Neil, I'm sorry, but it seems clear to me that he has a clear and obvious dislike for Australian cricket.......that's fine, but it seems to translate into merely taking a contrary position to most things that are posted by Australians!!
Apart from that, he seems like a fine fellow!
Find me an Englishman who doesn't have a clear and obvious dislike for Australia full stop! ;)

I never have commented on something purely based on the nationality of who said it and it annoys me that my integrity gets questioned like this!

And polls count for nothing - information failure, badly represented sample... I could go on. Remember all the polls that gave India a large favouritism for the World Cup 2003? And look at my posts throughout the WC 2003 wrt the Australian side against India - backing for the convicts (NOTE: Tongue In Cheek)..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kenny said:
What I can't get past is all you Murali-doesn't-chuck people are discounting entirely a poll on his action run on this very board, which showed categorically that those who believe his action is legal are very much in the minority! Of course these are only people's opinions!
Yes, and like any other poll on any other website, it can be easily hijacked.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Originally posted by Kenny
Yes a lot of that is quite reasonable.......I do live in WA, and I have seen and read some of the analysis of his action undertaken by a team at UWA, as well as closely studying the sequential pictures. To me they are, at best, inconclusive.
Apart from the fact that it was done a while ago, and many people now feel his action is actually worse than it was a few years ago, there are 2 things to consider.
1) It was not done under match conditions, or when the bowler was fatigued.
2) There is no evidence to suggest that Murali bowled, or was asked to bowl, his full range of deliveries.

I mean, if you were him, and you were under scrutiny, would you actually bowl the deliveries that were most suspect? I think not.

In any event, the study centred largely on whether the guy can actually straighten his arm fully or not, and whether it does so whilst bowling - Dr.Frank Pyke, who led the study, is not an expert on bowling actions, his expertise centres more on biomechanics.......he is perhaps best known for helping Dennis Lillee's rehabilitation form a serious back injury in the 70's.

Any new investigation by the ICC into spinners in particular will be most welcome, and obviously must include further screening of Murali, preferably under match conditions.

The idea that this guy is 'untouchable' because of a study carried out a few years ago is plainly wrong, and to have umpires who would otherwise be reporting him except they fear for their jobs is rather a disturbing situation, to say the least.
No, it just shows that ICC have some authority, which is good. There is nothing to be gained by Murali being reported again, as he has been reported and cleared. A repeat process will do nothing that hasn't already been done.
It is medically proven fact, and was established long before the Hair-Emerson-Parker controversy, that Murali's arms cannot be straightened to 180 degrees like most people's. Hence, all that mattered was whether the arm was straightened in delivery. There is no way his arm could be straighter in delivery than it can be in hanging limp, that's just ridiculous.
If you have indeed seen some of the evidence used your claims have more authority than the rest of the Murali-is-a-chucker brigade, but still, I find these unfounded because:
1, do you really think ICC would have been foolish enough to just stick him in there with no-one who knew anything about cricket? Personally I think people would have watched and analysed whether it was like his match-condition bowling, in terms of obvious looks and amount of turn garnered.
2, almost every bowler has variant delivieries. Is Gough's slower-ball or White's Yorker any more likely to be a chuck than Gough's stock-ball or White's good-length one? Personally I think it so unlikely as to be counted-out.
The whole "every one of Murali's deliveries haven't been checked-out" thing is ridiculous, and it ignores the fact that but for his deformed elbow there would be no suspicion on his stock-ball. No suspicion on his stock-ball would mean no-one would have any reason to suspect his variant balls.
Just because many people feel his action is more chuck than it used to be again centres on the misfounded assumption that it was a chuck in the first place. Why on Earth would a straightening arm creep into someone's action? It's almost impossible to do, even for a spinner.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Richard, you are entitled to your opinion my friend, and if that opinion is that Murali is forever untouchable and can never be questioned again, then that's all well and good.

I feel I have made valid points. And I know I am in the majority.

Thanks for an intelligent debate, however.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
marc71178 said:
You, sir, are a one eyed fool.
Why on earth is stating that the Aussies have to put up with sledging on the sub-continent make him a one eyed fool?

Is it not true?

Why are you so anti-Aussie?

Not good enough, that comment.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Kenny said:
Why on earth is stating that the Aussies have to put up with sledging on the sub-continent make him a one eyed fool?
Because you can hardly complain about receiving it when you give it out in such a fashion as the Australians do.

Another Double Standard there.

PY

International Coach
Kenny said:

Is it not true?
Because every team who goes to the sub-continent has to put up with sledging, it isn't just Australians alone.

Whereas Murali is the only person who has to put up with that level of abuse when he goes to Australia.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Kenny said:
And I know I am in the majority.
Despite all the opposition to your views? Just my opinion, but there just seem to be more people in this thread disagreeing with you than there are agreeing...

Cactus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
pontingrulz said:
if murali pulls out of the australian tour. he will officially be a little bitch. who cares if someone calls you a chucker. The aussies have to put up with sledging and the like when they go to the subcontinent and even brett lee got hammered at the mcg when england played them ( the barmy army shouted no ball every time he bowled). I was at the match at the WACA when murali didnt play a couple of years ago. And when he was doing a few laps around the oval, nearly every australian fan shouted out chucker and maid the chucking motion with his arm. if he doesnt think he is a chucker then he shouldnt care what other people think. i personally think he is a chucker
well ur just a bit of a moron......we can't salvage stupid/idiotic post replying ppl like u!

Cactus

Rik said:
Despite all the opposition to your views? Just my opinion, but there just seem to be more people in this thread disagreeing with you than there are agreeing...
ditto!

Cactus

PY said:

As regards to your comment about , I'm fairly certain you would feel drowned under the length (several thousand pages) of the report made by the guys at UWA in which they reported what they had scientifically proven about Murali's action. You cannot ignore proven science with the results in front of you. It is as simple as that.
oh i assure you, blinded people can discard the most obvious of logic!
but then again you probably didn't need the assurance from me to figure it out yourself.

Cactus

Kenny said:
Richard, you are entitled to your opinion my friend, and if that opinion is that Murali is forever untouchable and can never be questioned again, then that's all well and good.

I feel I have made valid points. And I know I am in the majority.

Thanks for an intelligent debate, however.
Pfffft.....majority, my ass

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Because you can hardly complain about receiving it when you give it out in such a fashion as the Australians do.

everyone sledges everyone, get over it and get on with the game, quit whinging

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Rik said:
Yes indeed this very board is the only place I have actually found so far where more people actually think his action is legal than not - in the real or cyber world - you few guys are unique!......and even then that poll I keep referring to on this site suggested that about 70% thought his action was illegal - but then people have changed their minds since then, obviously. :D
There aren't too many in Australia that think he is legitimate I can tell you! But then, Australia has always been known for the 'fair go' scenario - and being very harsh on people who wrought the system.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
marc71178 said:

Yes well you seem to be the expert - you are highlighting the fact that poor Murali gets sledged down under, but arrogantly call someone a 'fool' when he suggests that Aussies also cop sledge overseas.......if you weren't so doggedly anti-Australian you may be able to have a more balanced viewpoint, and desist from insulting people.

Status
Not open for further replies.