• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali cleared!!! .... or not...?

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Currently he is not obliged to stop bowling it. I think the grace period ends after their current tour, so he can't be banned for bowling it at the moment. But I agree whole-heartedly that he is basically sticking two fingers up at the rest of the world by continuing to use it even after the report deemed it illegal. He accepted the findings of the first report that cleared his basic action with good grace, he should do the same for the second.

Although that really isn't the Sri Lanka/Ranatunga way, now is it?

PY

International Coach
PS Should England be the whinging fellas we are reported to be and complain that he used it throughout the series against England and took 26 wickets @ 12.3. All of them were doosras I tell thee. :p :D

Craig

World Traveller
DJ Bumfluff said:
I'd like all the chuckers banned, not just Murali. Although the chuckers can thank Murali for them still being able to play international cricket.

In one of the recent Pakistan/India ODIs, the majority of the Pakistani attack consisted of pelters. I was horrified. This is something that has seriously turned me off cricket of late.

My list of bowlers who need immediate banning:
Shoaib Akhtar
Shoaib Malik
Shabbir Ahmed
Harbhajan Singh
Murali
James Kirtley
Brett Lee
Ian Harvey
Harvey? Lee?

From what I have read from out in Bundaberg that there is the consideration of Murali facing a 12 month ban with regards to the "doosra"?

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ian Harvey must be banned immediately. His mere presence tarnishes the image if international cricket.

Langeveldt

Soutie
DJ Bumfluff said:
Ian Harvey must be banned immediately. His mere presence tarnishes the image if international cricket.
The Hair!!!

I wonder if Murali is happy with going down in history not as the greatest spinner ever, but as a controversy and even a cheat...
It seems like he just has a disreguard for authority that shouldnt be put up with in any part of the sport. Ban him now...

DJ

School Boy/Girl Captain
Speaking of hair, Jason Gillespie should go before the ICC's technical committee for an emergency remodelling of his mullet. A 12 month probationary period should follow, during which time any other style 'faux pas' on his part would result in an immediate ban from international cricket.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
DJ Bumfluff said:
Speaking of hair, Jason Gillespie should go before the ICC's technical committee for an emergency remodelling of his mullet. A 12 month probationary period should follow, during which time any other style 'faux pas' on his part would result in an immediate ban from international cricket.
It's all a matter of perspective.

Spend ten minutes outside the South Windsor bottle shop, and you'll think Dizzy's mullet is tame.

Let's not knock him, he represents a significant proportion of the Australian population. He'a a hero to all of the Westies, Bogans and Bevans. There is a large enclave of these people in every Australian city.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
bennyr said:
He'a a hero to all of the Westies, Bogans and Bevans.
Westie. Noun. An uneducated or uncultured person from the western suburbs of Sydney.
Bogan. Noun. An uneducated or uncultured person from Queensland.
Bevan. Noun. An uneducated or uncultured person from anywhere else in Australia.

So the phrase "He's a hero to all of the Westies, Bogans and Bevans" could just as easily have been written "He's a hero to all Australians."

(sorry)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
DJ Bumfluff said:

Mullet rules :p :p :p

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
just wanted to shed some lite on BBC's article with pics on murali's doosra..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/default.stm#

it has a computer generated image and video to make it more easy to understand. looking at the pics he might be able to still bowl the ball if he can cut the angle down to 5..it may not be that effective though

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
bennyr said:
Westies, Bogans and Bevans. .
Hmm.. Only English parallell that can be drawn up is football's Wayne Rooney...

he is a fine representative of all the Kevs, Chavs, Charvers, Steeks, Povs, Pikies, Spides, Rat Boys, Scangers, Janners, Essex Lads, Yarcos, Townies, Bazzas, Gary's, Nevs, Mevs, Bevs, Townies, Scallies and Swillies that inhabit most alleyways in this green and pleasant land..

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
The umpires should have been instructed to no ball Murali whenever he bowls the doosra. The ICC should have made that decision. He is making a farce of the game.

When he does break the world record it will not be legitimate due to the wickets he has got bowling an illegal style of delivery.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
The Argonaut said:
The umpires should have been instructed to no ball Murali whenever he bowls the doosra. The ICC should have made that decision. He is making a farce of the game.

agree 100% with that

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
The Argonaut said:

When he does break the world record it will not be legitimate due to the wickets he has got bowling an illegal style of delivery.
Well ICC didn't, so get on with it and accept the fact that Murali is the highest wicket taker in the world Not Warne who might have taken most of his wickets after taking steroids.

Scallywag

Banned
Sanz said:
Well ICC didn't, so get on with it and accept the fact that Murali is the highest wicket taker in the world Not Warne who might have taken most of his wickets after taking steroids.
Correct Warne might have taken steriods but we know that Murali has cheated, is a cheat and will keep on cheating.

chicane

State Captain
Scallywag said:
Correct Warne might have taken steriods but we know that Murali has cheated, is a cheat and will keep on cheating.
Murali has started using the doosra only recently and most of his wickets have comefrom the off breaks. And it's yet not clear whether it should be outlawed or not. But taking drugs?! If he's been taking steroids all along then he's the biggest cheat.

chicane

State Captain
The Argonaut said:

What about all the wickets warne may have got taking steroids?

anzac

International Debutant
chicane said:
Murali has started using the doosra only recently and most of his wickets have comefrom the off breaks. And it's yet not clear whether it should be outlawed or not. But taking drugs?! If he's been taking steroids all along then he's the biggest cheat.

1 - how is it not clear whether to ban the delivery - it exceeds the ICC limits which they have stated will remain the current requirement????

2 - banned for the use of a diuretic / masking agent - NOT steroids last time I heard.....

:huh:

Slow Love™

International Captain
The Warne analogy's not a particularly good one for Murali defenders to use. It's good for a cheap shot at Warne (and let's be honest, we've all fired off a cheap shot at Warne at some stage or another :)), but if you think about it, it raises some real concerns, regarding Murali.

Let's say that you think that Warne got off lightly, being banned for a year for taking a banned substance. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't - I guess it depends on whether you actually think he was actually using steroids or taking diuretics purely for vanity's sake. But at least he served SOME time for his crime. Murali's continuing to bowl the doosra when he's been specifically instructed NOT to bowl it, and when it clearly exceeds current tolerance regulations, is akin to Warne popping a banned substance in his mouth right in front of the umpires before he comes on to bowl.

Think about it.

twctopcat

International Regular
I thought Murali has been told to continue bowling the doosra until further notification from the ICC, why does everyone insist he continues to be a cheat? He's just going on with his game whilst everyone else argues and moans about something which joe ordinary doesn't really understand but thinks they do - and therein lies the problem.