• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most unhittable bowlers??

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Have seen very negligible archive footage of Marshall or Garner, so can't say much about them.

However based on some of spells from the past that I have seen from Ambrose, it's pretty safe to say you couldn't hit him off the square unless his rhythm was totally off.

In modern day cricket Bumrah and Hazelwood are the only one's who even come near the bracket of being unhittable.

Last edited:

karan_fromthestands

State Captain

Chrish

International Debutant
Cummins and Hazelwood from current crop don’t go for too many boundaries and when do, good portion of them are edges flying around. Both have pretty similar ER..

Jayro

U19 12th Man
Curtly Ambrose and Fannie de villiers back from 90s, Joel Garner and Richard hadlie even kapil during 80s, dibbly-dobbliers like Gavin Larsen back for a while, Rashid Khan these days esp in t 20s, Jaspreet Bumrah in deaths, Mcgrath, Akram, Shoun Pollock, Allan Donald to some extent many more in that order..... But Fannie de villiers and Curtly Ambrose as two tops for me, followed by a peak Bumrah.

Chrish

International Debutant
How was Ambrose? I caught tail-end of his career so I don’t have deep impression of him; but from watching videos and reading about him, it seems he was just as accurate as McGrath but slightly quicker. Had that awkward bounce from being tall and move the ball off the seam outside-off stump.

Is this accurate description?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
How was Ambrose? I caught tail-end of his career so I don’t have deep impression of him; but from watching videos and reading about him, it seems he was just as accurate as McGrath but slightly quicker. Had that awkward bounce from being tall and move the ball off the seam outside-off stump.

Is this accurate description?
Yes. He was a fearsome bowler.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unhittable =/= economy rate. Some very hittable bowlers have great economy rates eg. Gavin Larsen. I'd say Pat Cummins is pretty hittable relative to how good he is.

From my time it was always McGrath. So much so that on the very rare occasions it happened (like Razzaq) it was such a big deal. Ambrose probably even better at it, bowling that slightly shorter length