• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Underrated Cricketers in Cricket Chat

Flem274*

123/5
I made this argument about a decade ago, albeit not fully believing it. IIRC it wasn't one of my more popular ideas. Most people hated it.
the sehwag thread? i remember that. cw was different then, still in the transition phase from multi-quote theory to pewsian theory.

back then how sehwag and mathew hayden would go on a 1950s sticky wicket against malcolm marshall was very important to predict, and of course no assumption was made they would prepare themselves accordingly for such a drastic change from modern cricket. it was so dumb. peak internet poster stuff.

things are different now, mostly for the better, though the longevity value of pewsian theory has gone too far and needs to be curbed. ryan harris > brett lee etc.

Gob

International Coach
the sehwag thread? i remember that. cw was different then, still in the transition phase from multi-quote theory to pewsian theory.

back then how sehwag and mathew hayden would go on a 1950s sticky wicket against malcolm marshall was very important to predict, and of course no assumption was made they would prepare themselves accordingly for such a drastic change from modern cricket. it was so dumb. peak internet poster stuff.

things are different now, mostly for the better, though the longevity value of pewsian theory has gone too far and needs to be curbed. ryan harris > brett lee etc.
Dont think anyone's doubting that

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Because nobody talks up Sunil Gavaskar, Wasim Akram or Dale effing Steyn??

This thread is like one of those Reddit posts where someone asks ‘what’s your unpopular opinion’ and the replies are about how they like sunshine and dislike people who kick babies
Alrightr, alright. Would Adrian Shankar qualify then?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Wasim being talked about more seems to be a recent thing, or at least I didn't notice it before. My recollection about Wasim always goes back to having to argue that Wasim being comparable to Gillespie was just a bad opinion. A lot of the discussion surrounding him lately has been subpar, but I'm happy to see my childhood idol being discussed. But before last year I'd have agreed Wasim was underrated around here.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Because nobody talks up Sunil Gavaskar, Wasim Akram or Dale effing Steyn??

This thread is like one of those Reddit posts where someone asks ‘what’s your unpopular opinion’ and the replies are about how they like sunshine and dislike people who kick babies
Sunshine is over rated.

mr_mister

Atherton. Said it many times before, but I don't think any other batsman in history had to face ATG bowlers in such a high % of tests as he did.

Three quarters of his career was facing peak or close enough to peak level Ambrose, Donald, Wasim/Waqar and McWarne

We talk the 80s up as an equally tough period for batsman as the 90s, but forget half the ATG bowlers were in one side

English bowlers were a respite for many of Atherton's peers, eg Lara and Steve Waugh, but of course Atherton didn't get to face them to succeed against them. Comfortably dealt with the kiwi and indian attacks when he got to play them

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Atherton. Said it many times before, but I don't think any other batsman in history had to face ATG bowlers in such a high % of tests as he did.

Three quarters of his career was facing peak or close enough to peak level Ambrose, Donald, Wasim/Waqar and McWarne

We talk the 80s up as an equally tough period for batsman as the 90s, but forget half the ATG bowlers were in one side

English bowlers were a respite for many of Atherton's peers, eg Lara and Steve Waugh, but of course Atherton didn't get to face them to succeed against them. Comfortably dealt with the kiwi and indian attacks when he got to play them
That makes him a minnow basher isn't it ?

Interestingly, he only averaged 18 against SL. Vaas dismissed him 5 times in one series. Murali never dismissed Atherton ever.

mr_mister

That makes him a minnow basher isn't it ?

Interestingly, he only averaged 18 against SL. Vaas dismissed him 5 times in one series. Murali never dismissed Atherton ever.
Means the small time he wasn't facing the calibre of literal top 10-15 bowlers in history he faired well

He only faced SL 4 times but yeah did struggle.