• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most underrated and overrated players in the world?

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
So you can see the seam from where the batsman's standing, now?
yes, where have you been? and you can clearly see the seem after the bowler releases the ball, which if you are a good batsman is all you need to decide what the ball is going to do.

Richard said:
If you really can't differentiate between pressure and trickery you are one of your fools.
its not exactly trickery, when it comes down to the stupidity of the batsmen. the old inswinger outswinger rubbish rarely works against the best batsmen, even when bowlers like akram and co did it.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
So why does it happen so rarely then?
what happens so rarely? mcgrath getting the outside edge? it happens so often but each time you dismiss it as luck.

Richard said:
Yes, every wicket offers a tiny bit of movement, but not enough to make a bowler dangerous just by landing the ball on the seam.
yes it is, because it doesnt take much movement to get the edge of the bat, especially if you can generate a little extra pace/bounce off the wicket, which with mcgraths height he certainly can do. of course not many other bowlers have done it, because no one else has bowled with the same amount of accuracy, since well ambrose.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
No, I'm not, I wouldn't be able to type if I was blind. Nor would I be able to do all sorts of things that even you can tell I can do.
Maybe a million people have seen McGrath bowl wicket-taking deliveries on wickets where others have looked innocuous - probably because they don't really understand what a wicket-taking delivery is - plenty would just say "it's a ball that's got a wicket against it's name".
no, its because they arent biased as to what is considered a wicket and what isnt. you would consider even the worst of bicknells wickets, when the batsmen make the stupidest of mistakes as a wicket taking delivery, yet when mcgrath bowls a nearly unplayable delivery, you blame it on the wicket or on the batsman.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
No, they're not - any batsman can adjust (especially when the ball is short) if the ball moves a mere 2 inches.
because its so easy to do that isnt it? especially when(by your claim) they arent sure which way the ball is moving.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
If a batsman fails to get forward just because a few previous deliveries have been shortish (and gets out as a result) it's terrible, terrible batting.
And not surprisingly, it doesn't actually happen very often.
just as terrible as a batsmen who fails to expect an inswinger, when the previous 3 balls have been outswingers.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Half a bat?????? Have you watched much recently?
Half a bat won't even take the edge uncontrollably if there's no adjustment - given the adjustment that almost always happens, it probably won't even take the edge at all.
you fool, do you know how big a cricket ball is? its not the size of a ping pong ball.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
If you can be bothered, re-read the reports of Pak-Aus 2002\03 (3 Tests)
no i couldnt be bothered to read these, largely because that pakistani side was actually poor enough to be dismissed by ordinary deliveries. i missed nearly all of that series, and thankfully so.

Richard said:
and Ind-Aus 2004\05 (3 Tests - given that he got 0 wickets in 1 of them).
wow another series you didnt watch, that you've decided to comment on. did you watch the ball that got dravid in bangalore? or the one that got chopra in the same game which was in all essence the old bicknell trick. even the wickets in nagpur were from wicket taking balls, you clearly have no clue what you are talking about.

Richard said:
You could also read them of WI-Aus (2003\04 - 1 Test)
presuming you are talking about the final test at antigua, the ball that got chanderpaul out was a fairly good delivery that had chanderpaul not knowing whether to go back or forward. and let me hear you say how poor mcgraths inswinging yorker to darren ganga was, that was described as the ball of the match.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
By watching them face, maybe?
And how do you know what's happening if you're not experiencing it?

You've never been able to explain how you know more than they do.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Really?
Because you know that every single batsman has to feel pressure.
Every player to play at the International game has at some point or other talked about the pressure.

Yet you still deny it happens.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Indeed. The real world talent in the last decade has been Craig White, with his awesome test average of 37.63 and his one series in his whole career where he averaged under 30 coming against the 2000 West Indies.
A series when the wickets were hardly the flat wickets on which White is so good, so surely that series must be removed from his figures.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Well misinterpreted.
I quite clearly meant that directly after WC99 Allott's record was what I said.
I did not mention the games played after it, because they mean little or nothing.
you do realise that you were the one who misinterpreted my post in the first place dont you?
when i said that allott was rubbish before and after the wc, and had therefore not changed at all, i meant precisely that. your gibberish about allott, no matter how hard you try, always has to go back to the same series.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Indeed. The real world talent in the last decade has been Craig White, with his awesome test average of 37.63 and his one series in his whole career where he averaged under 30 coming against the 2000 West Indies. On top of that, against the world's best he had an awesome 15 wickets @ 48.
craig white had enormous talent, about as much as some of the best bowlers in the history of the game. unfortunately injury ruined what would have been a great career. while only an idiot would say that he was a better bowler than mcgrath, he certainly had a lot more talent and variety than every other bowler in the world today.
out of curiosity, does anyone know what craig white's bowling record in domestic cricket was like between 97-01?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
craig white had enormous talent, about as much as some of the best bowlers in the history of the game. unfortunately injury ruined what would have been a great career. while only an idiot would say that he was a better bowler than mcgrath, he certainly had a lot more talent and variety than every other bowler in the world today.
out of curiosity, does anyone know what craig white's bowling record in domestic cricket was like between 97-01?
sarcasm is the lowest form of wit