• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most profound World Cup Winners

Most profound World Cup Winner

• Total voters

Socerer 01

International Captain
But ODI format (particularly the World Cup) doesn't seem to have long left, as there's every chance that there may not be another ODI WC after 2027.

So eventually ODI WC wins and records will inevitably become redundant.

Future generations won't be talking about it.
lmao isnt the 2031 wc supposed to be in India again with Bangladesh co hosting?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
lmao isnt the 2031 wc supposed to be in India again with Bangladesh co hosting?
To create space in an ever crowding calendar, MCC/ICC has called for Bilateral ODI cricket to cease, post-2027. They reckon teams only need to play odis in the 12 months leading up to the odi world cup. If that ends up being the case for 2031, that wc may not even happen or be seen as an outdated cup.

2031 isn't finalised yet. Rights haven't been sold and the administrators will assess post-2023 WC. If there's a clear reduction in appeal and value generated by the cup, this format will be forced to make way sooner rather than later. And if cricket makes it to the 2028 olympics (will be decided in the next few months), I reckon it's nail in the coffin for ODI cricket.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really don't see the odi world cup losing its prestige(compared to t20) any time soon. T20s have been around for 20 years now and no one places the t20wc anywhere near that level of importance.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really don't see the odi world cup losing its prestige(compared to t20) any time soon. T20s have been around for 20 years now and no one places the t20wc anywhere near that level of importance.
Well, just for winning 2 T20 WCs, Daren Sammy got a stadium named after him; his countryman, Johnson Charles got a stand named after him in the Daren Sammy Cricket Stadium just for winning 1 T20 WC.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I've always thought the most important world cups have been those that have led to the emergence of a new nation.

Zimbabwe being the first obvious one, Kenya and Ireland later on.

Out of interest...how do cricket fans feel about the world cup itself? It just doesn't strike me as 'grabbing' people quite like the football or rugby union events do with fans of those sports.
Don't forget Bangladesh qualifying in 1999, beating Pakistan (!!?), and then test status very soon after.

Also the return of SA in 1992 and their vote they had back home after beatong Aus

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I still see it as the centrepiece of cricket. I enjoy the T20 WC etc but would prefer it if we still did one T20 and a decent length ODI series as the standard on a white ball tour.