• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

Eclipse

International Debutant
Well Tendulkar is currently in really bad ODI form. He has droped out of the PWC ODI top 10 batsman for the first time in ages.

I think that has alot to do with the team batting him down the order.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I doubt he's in that bad form really (ok 41 runs at 8.20 in 8 matches isn't great), he just had a couple of bad series. He got two tons in England not so long ago that's worth remembering. I'm sure we'll see him back in the runs during the world cup.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Rik said:
Yes they all had bad runs, but Nasser's only lasted a season, Ganguly's has lasted the last 2 or 3 years...
I have given you enough stats earlier about it in this same thread to prove that's not true.In ODIs he has been doing pretty well(maybe not as consisitently as he was doing earlier) but nevertheless at a pretty decent average.He is again in a lean patch in these last two-three series, but that's all.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie_beater said:
I have given you enough stats earlier about it in this same thread to prove that's not true.In ODIs he has been doing pretty well(maybe not as consisitently as he was doing earlier) but nevertheless at a pretty decent average.He is again in a lean patch in these last two-three series, but that's all.
Those stats showed what I said was true. Apart from a few series, Ganguly has not scored many runs. Actually the only 2 series I can remember him scoring well in in the last 2 years are in England last year and against Bangladesh...

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Rik said:
Those stats showed what I said was true. Apart from a few series, Ganguly has not scored many runs. Actually the only 2 series I can remember him scoring well in in the last 2 years are in England last year and against Bangladesh...
Before you write, I would recommend that you do some research of your own to back up what you are saying. Here's those stats again..... and remember we are talking about ODIs only which is clearly mentioned in my previous post which you quoted in your reply as well.

2000/01 -
========
(P)18 (R)810 (H)144 (A)50.62 (100)3 (50)4

2001/02 -
=======
(P)20 (R)941 (H)127 (A)49.52 (100)2 (50)6

For specific series stats recently, in the last two years, here it is -

Against WI in WI
3 136 56 45.33 0 1

Against SA in SA
4 245 127 61.25 1 1

Against Zim in Ind
5 189 86 37.80 0 2

Against Zim in Zim(2001)
2 87 85 43.50 0 1

Now you tell me, who is proven right and who is proven wrong by the stats.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
aussie_beater said:
Before you write, I would recommend that you do some research of your own to back up what you are saying. Here's those stats again..... and remember we are talking about ODIs only which is clearly mentioned in my previous post which you quoted in your reply as well.

2000/01 -
========
(P)18 (R)810 (H)144 (A)50.62 (100)3 (50)4

2001/02 -
=======
(P)20 (R)941 (H)127 (A)49.52 (100)2 (50)6

For specific series stats recently, in the last two years, here it is -

Against WI in WI
3 136 56 45.33 0 1

Against SA in SA
4 245 127 61.25 1 1

Against Zim in Ind
5 189 86 37.80 0 2

Against Zim in Zim(2001)
2 87 85 43.50 0 1

Now you tell me, who is proven right and who is proven wrong by the stats.
Well no one wins as yet again I was talking about Tests...now get it? Why would I say he's got a poor record in ODIs? Whenever we talk about this I am talking about Tests and you mention ODIs. Please don't bombard me with stats that I've seen before and prove nothing as they are about ODIs not Tests...now you know I'm talking about Tests give me some stats to show that Ganguly deserves his spot...

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
Well no one wins as yet again I was talking about Tests...now get it? Why would I say he's got a poor record in ODIs? Whenever we talk about this I am talking about Tests and you mention ODIs. Please don't bombard me with stats that I've seen before and prove nothing as they are about ODIs not Tests...now you know I'm talking about Tests give me some stats to show that Ganguly deserves his spot...
If you take his last 4 series,

Against

WI in WI: 53.66
Eng in Eng: 58.50
WI in India: 12.25
NZ in NZ: 7.25

Of this, the home series against WI saw him falling to some horrendous umpiring decisions. In fact the only time he was fairly dismissed in the series was in the Eden Gardens test after scoring 29. So, the poor average in that series shouldn't really count against him. So, actually the latest NZ series was the only really bad one for him in recent times. Taking the above into consideration, especially the fact that most Indian batsmen failed in NZ, he isn't exactly at the write-off stage right now.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anilramavarma said:
If you take his last 4 series,

Against

WI in WI: 53.66
Eng in Eng: 58.50
WI in India: 12.25
NZ in NZ: 7.25

Of this, the home series against WI saw him falling to some horrendous umpiring decisions. In fact the only time he was fairly dismissed in the series was in the Eden Gardens test after scoring 29. So, the poor average in that series shouldn't really count against him. So, actually the latest NZ series was the only really bad one for him in recent times. Taking the above into consideration, especially the fact that most Indian batsmen failed in NZ, he isn't exactly at the write-off stage right now.
If he keeps failing I will keep bashing him. But fair enough from what you've shown me. India cannot afford another bad series from him though, and I wouldn't mind seeing Dravid as Captain.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
If he keeps failing I will keep bashing him. But fair enough from what you've shown me. India cannot afford another bad series from him though, and I wouldn't mind seeing Dravid as Captain.
Taking into account the bowling resources at our command, India cannot afford another bad series from any of its batsmen, especially abroad.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Rik said:
Well I'd just say that you should be clear about what you are talking about when you reply to someone's post and actually quote that post as well, and then talk about a totally different context from what was referred to in the post that you replied to in the first place.I am no psychic to know what is in your mind and I am not too intelligent either to read between the lines.

I do not intend to continue this conversation any further, but for your kind information here's some stats for the past two seasons for Ganguly's test record.

As you can see in these stats that he has performed quite well in the last two seasons and looked like turning around a corner but there is no denying that he has suddenly hit a lean patch again in the last two series against WI at home and NZ abroad.Based on these your previous statement that Ganguly has been having a poor run for the last 2-3 years is horribly ill-informed.

5 180 98* 22.50 0

2001/02
12 674 136 44.93 1 2

4 351 128 58.50 1 3

Andre

International Regular
Ok, time to dig this up.

Most overrated by 'experts' - Andy Blignaut. He just can't bowl 6 balls in a decent place (a la Harmison).

I'm tempted to say James Anderson, infact I'm very close, but I'll refrain for the moment.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Andre said:
I'm tempted to say James Anderson, infact I'm very close, but I'll refrain for the moment.
He's a superb OD bowler, but Test cricket is a learning experiance. You can't really expect someone of his age and experiance to work out that you have to bowl slower on some pitches when he's played only about 30 FC games, he's still learning. Imagine what would have happened if Nasser had actually caught Smith...

Craig

World Traveller
Anderson has a problem with accuracy in ODI cricket.

Over-rated? Greame Hick, Brett Lee, Andrew Flintoff.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Someone else would've smashed the bowling all over the park!

Seriously though, the fielding in this Test has been absolutely apalling.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Anderson has a problem with accuracy in ODI cricket.
If he's being used to take wickets (which he seems to be able to do quite regularly in ODI's) we can afford him a bit of leeway, especially the way Flintoff's been bowling in ODI Cricket.