• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Overrated Player?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
in my opinion shane warne. he got in Wisdens top 5 eva and there are currently 3 better spin bowlers in the world. His bowling average is about 26 and thats nothing special. Murilidaren, Saqlain and Harbujan are much better.
Averages:

Harbajan Singh: 28.33 @ Strike Rate 63.9
Saqlain Mushtaq: 28.86 @ Strike Rate: 69.4
Muttiah Muralitharan: 23.38 @ Strike Rate: 59.4
Shane Warne: 26.52 @ Strike Rate: 62.9

The only one with a strike rate and average better than Shane Warne is Murali so to say that the other two are superior is erroneous. These two stats don't take into account the shoulder injury that Warne had which at the time, only two athletes ever had performed and they both never played their respective sports again, as well as the two finger injuries Warne has endured.

Before those injuries, Warne was averaging around 22 with the ball wih a strike rate of less than 50. Let's see how Murali pulls up after the operation he's having right now. I don't think he'll be quite the same force, just as Warnie isn't quite same force now as he was, due to injury.

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
If Butcher's good, then why the bloomin' heck is he the only person I've seen for ages stepping on his stumps?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah but what else has Butcher done?
in the game of cricket every player has one great innings or bowling spell, but its whether they can keep scoring hundreds or taking 5 wicket bags etc.

You could probably relate this to someone like Stephen Fleming who pretty much scores a century every time he plays for Wellington except can't do it on the international arena.

v12640

Cricket Spectator
ahh..some interesting comments here...
well with brett lee..i feel people dont quite understand him...for novice batsman they find him very quick because theyve never played him b4....thats why u see brett lee taking crappy players wickets all the time....but with good batsman...ur pontings, laras, tendulkers....brett lee is at a pace which just comes onto the bat....it is not quick enough to pose a threat for those batsman...it just helps them...so this is why i reckon brett lee should slow down for the top class batsman and bowl at 135 or so K's a hour....but in the whole i reckon brett lees a good bowler....being a sydeny boy and all i gotta love him....used to play in his club, mosman ...i see him occasionally at traings..ofcoarse he was in the 1sts...im down at the 3rds :-(
well yeh i think harbajan is the most overated player in the world.....i feel that all finger spinning off spinners are always gonnna be pie....they have such huge disadvantages...all they do is roll over the ball...and even if u can finger spin it...there isnt much of an advatage...considering that to right handers....the ball is always gonna be coming into the pads to be sweapt....and when the balls turing away to left handers, their characterisitic slashes outside that off stump...just mean in a ball sailing over the slip corden...or crashhing into the coverpoint fence....but in the whole i think harbajan is ver much overated....he hasnt got a bowling mind....i can imagine a batsman like lara tearing him up...he got at the aussies...but didnt get through to a batsman that was trying to attack him...matty hayden..the others were getting out poking and prodding...all u gotta do is smash harbajan and he doesnt know wats doing!

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
hmm i would say maybe Chris Cairs is a bit overrated

as in yea he perfoms some times when in need... but people rely on him way to much

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Chris Cairns is definately not overated.
He's just continuously under pressure because NZ have relied on him to do the job with the bat & the ball so often in the past, now that we have Bond & Vettori etc stepping up, he may be able to relax a bit more & we may see more consistent performances from him.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Unfort. for Cairns he often goes through a lean period where he doesn't do too much with the bat, and sometimes ppl forget that he has scored 2 of the greatest ODI hundreds under pressure.

(vs South Africa VB SERIES, ICC Knockout)

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
I think Paul Collingwood is quite overrated. I went to watch Notts vs Durham on Saturday and he was crap at bowling, average at batting.

We had to chose an Aussie hero for an S$E assignment. Every1 else chose the likes of Bradman and Fraser, but I decided to do Mark Waugh. I got the highest mark in the class. Still, I dont quiet think he is overrated

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well in that cse Sri Lanka's bowling attacking is so pish without Murali that England will thrash them!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
yes the Sri Lankan attack loses about 80% of its venom when Murali is not there. If England can get on top of Jayasuriya & Jayawardene, they have a very good chance.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yes, Sri Lanka have been less than impressive so far, but England struggled badly in the opening games of the NZ tour, so until Thursday I don't think snap judgements are going to be too valid.