• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Impressive Player 2003

Rich2001

International Captain
With 2003 drawing to a close, but still a huge amount of cricket to be played admittly who In Your Opinion has been the stand out player of the year?

This is open to anyone really, be it a International star or a guy that has really impressed in the domestic side, this could be a stand out season, or a guy that has just really improved over the past 12 months.

Maybe to narrow it down a bit you could chose the stand out of your side (whoever you follow) and a overall player of the year.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well you'd have to say that Matthew Hayden is the player of 2003 for breaking the world record for the highest individual test score.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
I dunno about Australians they have played some pretty light weight opponents, but I've heard that Graeme Smith has had a good year. And Michael Vaughan was pretty good early on

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
Most of Haydyn's brilliance came in the second half od 02 ... but I think given the fact that be broke the WR, and that there aren't that many other "stand outs", I'd give the award to him.

No way Graeme Smith. Decent batter ... but will never have 2 tests worth of half volleys on leg stump served up again. Vaughn has sucked since he took the captaincy.

No real stand out bowlers.

That leaves Haydyn ...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Since Graeme Smith's runfeast early on in the test series against England he was found out...he does deserve some praise though but he probably didn't finish the year as well as he might have liked.

I know Hayden's knock was against Zimbabwe, but its not like the record is broken every year so I think he has to take the prize.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If you take out the ODI's in NZ & the test series v NZ last month, I would agree that Tendulkar would be one of the best batsmen of 2003, although thats really ODI's. He has only played 2 tests so far in 2003.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I would rank Ponting above Hayden this year because he has performed just as brilliantly in Tests, yet a lot better than Haydos in ODIs.:)

iamdavid

International Debutant
Alot of people have impressed me both domestially & internationally this year-

Australia-
Steve Waugh
Ponting
Hayden
Clarke
Lehmann
Lee (in ODIs at least)

England-
Flintoff
Butcher
Trescothick
Geraint Jones
Saggers (1 test cap & counting)

South Africa-
Gibbs
Smith
Kallis
Pollock
Andre Nel

India-
Sachin
Rahul
Ashish

Pakistan-
Yasir Hameed
Shabir Ahmed
Danish Kaneria

West Indies-
Sarwan
Gayle
Hinds
Lara
Chanderpaul
Banks
Edwards
(basially the whole side:D )

Zimbabwe-
Wishart
Ervine
Taibu
Streak

Bangladesh-
Hanan Sarkar
Babibul Bashar
Mushrafe
Mohamed Rafique (why on Earth didnt he play the AUS tests)

New Zealand-
Richardson
Fleming (early on at least)

Sri Lanka-
Murali
Vaas
Sangakkara:D

We should start up a 'Cricket Web Cricketer of the year award'

we could nominate 10 players or so , then have a poll to see who gets the gong.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
iamdavid said:

<quack> and I get to interview each nominated player in evening wear and bathing suits before you make your final decision

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Rich2001 said:
With 2003 drawing to a close, but still a huge amount of cricket to be played admittly who In Your Opinion has been the stand out player of the year?

Maybe to narrow it down a bit you could chose the stand out of your side (whoever you follow) and a overall player of the year.
I couldn't give a stuff about one-dayers and how they affect anyone's perceptions.

England's Test player of the year so far is Butcher, to me. Flintoff, the obvious world candidate for most-improved player, missed 2 out of 3 series, which must count against him for that award.

But my nomination for Test player of the year is Gary Kirsten, who was the reason South Africa didn't lose 3-1 to England and the only guy who really made Pakistan work in their recent series. I think he is the most boring batsman since the immortal Tavare, and I would rather gnaw my own left leg off than watch him get another century against England or anyone else, but I can't ignore how crucial a part he's played for South Africa this year.

Debutant of the year goes in my book to Fidel Edwards.

Cheers,

Mike

Rich2001

International Captain
iamdavid said:
England-
Flintoff
Butcher
Trescothick
Geraint Jones
Saggers (1 test cap & counting)

Firstly two people need adding to that England list.

- Ed Smith, 9 100's nearly 2000 runs for the season and a England call up... He went off the boil while with England but came back to Kent and hit some form again.

- Iam quite amazed to not have seen James Anderson's name yet, after all he did only start out in the game just under a year ago so all that he did in Australia / World Cup etc where he was a God like figure counts... 5 wicket-haul on Test Debut, unfortuantly went alittle downhill in the latter part of the summer, but surely he derseves a mention at least :saint:

And second of all I beat you too it as I had the excat same thought after I created this thread so e-mailed James about the idea :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
JohnnyA said:
Most of Haydyn's brilliance came in the second half od 02 ... but I think given the fact that be broke the WR, and that there aren't that many other "stand outs", I'd give the award to him.

No way Graeme Smith. Decent batter ... but will never have 2 tests worth of half volleys on leg stump served up again. Vaughn has sucked since he took the captaincy.

No real stand out bowlers.

That leaves Haydyn ...
Vaughan has sucked since he got some conditions where the ball moved around, not since he took the captaincy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For me Brian Charles Lara has been consistently the best player in both forms of the game this year. Hardly had a bad series.
Not many decent bowlers left in this game atm.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Good thread, these guys have impressed me this year...

Graham Smith
Jacques Kallis
Andrew Hall
Makhaya Ntini
Mark Vermeulen
Ray Price
Heath Streak
Paul Collingwood
Mark Butcher
Matt Hayden
Brian Lara
Fidel Edwards