• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most competitive Test Rivalry in last 50 years ?

Most competitive Test rivalry?

• Aus- SA(1993-2022)

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Ind-Aus(1996-2022)

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • Pak-WI( 1980-2000)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Eng-SA(1994-2022)

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Pak-SL (1995-2022)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any other Rivalry ( Mention in the thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sunil1z

International Debutant
Which 2 Teams according to you have/had fiercest Test rivalry ?

IND- Pak not in option because most of the matches used to end in Draw
Ashes not in option because it is mostly one-sided
Aus-Wi not in option because rivalry is of mainly 10 years (90s) otherwise they are mostly one sided.

Chubb

International Regular
I think England-SA has been more competitive over the spans in the poll but India-Aus since around 2014.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fiercest rivalry changes the title question imo. In terms of actual competitiveness it's Aus-SA surely? I can't recall any 4-0 butt wipings there

Slifer

International Captain
India-Australia currently. Historically, Australia and RSA in the 90s for me was box office. Close series between the two best teams of that era.

Sunil1z

International Debutant
Fiercest rivalry changes the title question imo. In terms of actual competitiveness it's Aus-SA surely? I can't recall any 4-0 butt wipings there
There were 3 consecutive series between 2002-2006 when SA couldn’t win even 1 Test iirc.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
3 test series aren't going to give a lot of 4-0 results :ph34r:.

Aus were dominant in the early 2000s. 2 3-0s. Other than that time, every series has been super competitive.

subshakerz

International Coach
Australia and India from nineties onwards is the closest, also has the most vested emotional reactions and the box office given that they eventually became the top teams of the era.

India were the main team to truly trounce Australia away from home in the nineties. The clashes between Warne and McGrath with Tendulkar became legendary. India were the first team to dominate Warne.

Waugh called it the final frontier and then you had the epic 2001 series followed by the close 2004 series. Australia beat them at home in 2004/5 and that was their biggest achievement since beating the WI a decade before. The 2007 series in Australia had a lot of juicy controversy.

India stopped Australia twice when they were on record win streaks in tests and in the WC. India fell to Australia in the 2003 final. The 2011 QF was terrific and Australia got revenge in the 2015 semifinal. Kohli as captain added more juice to the contest, and the 2017 series in India and 2018 and 2021 wins in Australia were all memorable.

The two teams at time seemed to genuinely dislike each other which added to the rivalry.

Pak-India and SA-Australia had moments of peak cricket but generally were pretty mellow.

Chubb

International Regular
It's certainly telling Waugh decided to retire after the 03-04 India series rather than the 02-03 Ashes.

Sunil1z

International Debutant
Pak-Ind had 3 consecutive very good Test series (99,04,05) . I don’t know who gave Pak Curators the instructions to prepare absolutely road pitches in 1st 2 Test of 06 and in reply India also prepared 2 road pitches in 07 .

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's implying that Waugh retired then because he was waiting for the India series rather than after the Ashes, because the India series was more important to him. Which is not true at all, it's just where he was in his career. He was 38 years old and had been on the decline for a little while

subshakerz

International Coach
Pak-Ind had 3 consecutive very good Test series (99,04,05) . I don’t know who gave Pak Curators the instructions to prepare absolutely road pitches in 1st 2 Test of 06 and in reply India also prepared 2 road pitches in 07 .
The three tests in 99 were one of the best series I have seen in terms of cricket quality.

Unfortunately, by 2007, the teams were playing each other too much and the interest wasn't there that much. They should have spaced out the series over a decade.