• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most boring test series

Which is the most boring test series ever to watch??

• England Vs West Indies

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • India Vs Srilanka

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • New Zealand Vs West Indies

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • England Vs South africa

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • New zealand vs South africa

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Srilanka Vs West Indies

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
My vote is the last series between India and New Zealand on Indian soil. I don't think any test series is universally boring, but you can't get much worse than two tame draws on dead flat pitches.
Have to agree with that one.

Marius

International Debutant
cameeel said:
England vs South Africa wasnt exactly thrilling last year
??????????????? What? Are you mentally ********? Do you even know what cricket is?
A series which could have gone either way, with only one Test where one team totally outplayed the other - (Third Test at Newlands). The Second Test was one of the best test matches in years, while the Fourth Test could have been won by anyone, and took the best bit of swing bowling in years by Hoggard to win the Test, and the series. It was a great series, up there with Ind-Pak and Ind-Aus in recent years.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Marius said:
??????????????? What? Are you mentally ********? Do you even know what cricket is?
A series which could have gone either way, with only one Test where one team totally outplayed the other - (Third Test at Newlands). The Second Test was one of the best test matches in years, while the Fourth Test could have been won by anyone, and took the best bit of swing bowling in years by Hoggard to win the Test, and the series. It was a great series, up there with Ind-Pak and Ind-Aus in recent years.
woah easy now marius, better not get too insulting, but yes was not a boring or bad series by any stretch of the imagination.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Marius said:
If ur not South African or English then the Test Series wasn't the most exciting IMO. It was two teams not playing at their best.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
If ur not South African or English then the Test Series wasn't the most exciting IMO. It was two teams not playing at their best.
Actually, I think you have a bit of a point. It was a very good series in terms of being competitive, but I didn't think the cricket was of massively high standard all the time, it was more a matter of scattered pieces of brilliance amid some average cricket. Calling it one of the most boring series in recent times is ridiculous of course, but I wouldn't rate it as one of the best either. Often I think a series seems great when it has a few exciting moments even when other parts of the series were dull. The ending of the 2nd and 4th tests were simply thrilling.

India v Australia is the best I have watched in a long while, that series was great, as was the last series they played in 2001. The Australia v India series in 2003 was another one which was close but not a particularly fantastic series, it was a bit high scoring and dull a lot of the time, despite moments of facinating cricket, and the fourth test in Sydney was one of the worst I have watched. India v Pakistan seemed great too, although unfortunately I couldn't watch it live.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Actually, I think you have a bit of a point. It was a very good series in terms of being competitive, but I didn't think the cricket was of massively high standard all the time, it was more a matter of scattered pieces of brilliance amid some average cricket. Calling it one of the most boring series in recent times is ridiculous of course, but I wouldn't rate it as one of the best either. Often I think a series seems great when it has a few exciting moments even when other parts of the series were dull. The ending of the 2nd and 4th tests were simply thrilling.

India v Australia is the best I have watched in a long while, that series was great, as was the last series they played in 2001. The Australia v India series in 2003 was another one which was close but not a particularly fantastic series, it was a bit high scoring and dull a lot of the time, despite moments of facinating cricket, and the fourth test in Sydney was one of the worst I have watched. India v Pakistan seemed great too, although unfortunately I couldn't watch it live.
For nothing could beat the 92/93 Windies/Australia series in Australia, that was amazing, nothing for me comes close to that in recent times.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
For nothing could beat the 92/93 Windies/Australia series in Australia, that was amazing, nothing for me comes close to that in recent times.
Yep. I wasn't picking my all-time favourite series, just the best I had seen recently.

For me, that 92/93 series is the best I have ever watched, and one of the best ever. The Frank Worrell series in 95 and 99 in the West Indies were also absolutely fantastic series, and the 95 one comes close to the 92/93 series. The last two India v Australia series in India were fantastic too, and England and South Africa have had some great battles recently that I have seen as well.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yep. I wasn't picking my all-time favourite series, just the best I had seen recently.

For me, that 92/93 series is the best I have ever watched, and one of the best ever. The Frank Worrell series in 95 and 99 in the West Indies were also absolutely fantastic series, and the 95 one comes close to the 92/93 series. The last two India v Australia series in India were fantastic too, and England and South Africa have had some great battles recently that I have seen as well.
What about the Australia/South Africa Series in 93/94 and the 97 series, they were pretty good.

Swervy

International Captain
One of the more entertaining series for me was that WI vs England one in 2000, despite the fact that neither teams were good...it was entertaining in that Ambrose was, despite being way way passed his best, by far the best bowler of either team...and I liked that....it was entertaining coz England fought back from 1-0 down..coz of WI's batting being so bad, you just had to laugh, ...coz of that Saturday afternoon at Lords,very tense stuff, even though whilst it was happening Iwas actually playing a match myself, but could hear what was going on on the radio.

So, 2 crap teams, one great series :D

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I always find a test series between India and Sri Lanka boring because there is hardly any variety, both teams heavily rely on their batsmen to score heaps on runs, and then rely on their spinners.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
How could that be boring? Mumbai in 2004 was a poor wicket, it was still absolutely fascinating cricket with something happening every minute. I don't know how watching cricket on a minefield could be more boring than watching it on a road. That's like a trainwreck being more boring than watching paint dry. :D
I do like a wicket that gives plenty to the bowlers, but this was rudiculous. It was like a whole team of Daryll Cullinan's batting to a whole side of Shane Warne's.

I prefer wickets that give a good amount for the bowlers, but still allow for reasonable totals (200 - 350).