• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Blatant Chucker Of The Cricket Ball

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Footage of Lock is filthy. Clearly threw it.

Sonny Ramadhin is another who looked very, very dodgy. Threw his quicker one for sure.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Ran across some Ajmal the other day and was immediately reminded of the footage of Jim Burke:

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 10.06.31 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 11.04.33 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember watching Ajmal's bowling in county cricket a year or so after he'd played the race card and just before he got banned. He was so, so blatant I don't think he was even trying and you'd certainly have a hard time trying to convince me he wasn't doing it deliberately. I'm sure I saw disgust in the reaction of quite a few batsmen who obviously couldn't believe someone was just allowed to shuffle up and peg them down. All the bending that people in positions of authority did to defend him left a bad taste in my mouth too. It was disgusting, way worse than Ramadhin and Lock.

trundler

Among Pakistani fans I know IRL, it is a commonly held belief that Ashwin chucks more than Ajmal who was only banned because the world couldn't handle his awesomeness.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
I remember once seeing film of Ian Meckiff.

If that was anything like representative of his normal work I'm amazed he was allowed to play.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Grant Flower... I think that if he wasn't such a terrible part-timer they would have no-balled him a lot quicker! Feel like there was another batsman like that, but I can't think who. As far as primary bowlers go, Prenelan Subrayen mark 1 was shockingly bad...

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
To comment more on Meckiff, from what I have viewed, his short balls seem, obviously, to be the dodgiest of his deliveries, and others vary. He does not look good in any of the tests in 58/59, particularly the third.

He later modified his action so his bowling arm was fully extended throughout. This looks much better, but the odd ball still looks a bit off. You can see this at points through this video of the 60/61 series:

Unfortunately, no-one seems to have released footage of the over where he was no-balled in 63/64 although it was filmed—apparently by multiple people. Those who actually saw it (i.e., not Ted Dexter, who was much quoted in the English press afterwards) disagree as to the apparent legality of the deliveries. Many people quoted in reports reckoned that there was no difference between the deliveries which were called and those that were passed, and this is also shown in press photographs. Lindsay Hassett defended him, and so did umpires Col Hoy and Les Townsend, who had umpired in many of his previous matches (!).

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 1.33.51 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2018-12-14 at 1.38.12 AM.jpg

Last edited:

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I've also just noticed in the first set of photos that the non-striker's attention appears to be directed in a different place during the later delivery.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Who was the bloke who came over here from Zimbabwe and played an ODI? He’d been in the media before the game and seemed such a good bloke, did a lot of media and everyone loved him. It might have been Blessing someone or other.

Then he bowled his first over and there was silence in the commentary box for all six balls as everyone took in his action before Richie Benaud said “there are a lot of things young bowlers have to learn as they make their way in international cricket, and I think Blessing ....... is going to find out what a few of them are.”

His action was probably the worst I’ve ever seen.
Wonder if Robelinda has that in his archive somewhere

OverratedSanity

The other chuckers from 1950s Australia were awful too. There was a great vid on YouTube with footage of all the egregious chuckers from that era like Jim Burke, Gordon Rorke, Meckiff, Jasu Patel etc. but it seems to have been taken down. There's still some footage on Britishe Pathe but I can't find the ones with side-on camera angles which truly showed how terrible the actions were. Rorke's action especially was absurd with that ridiculous looking drag of the foot.