• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Morne Morkel to retire from international cricket after Australia series

the big bambino

International Captain
Look if that's so I'm wondering if that's what we are doing with Cummins. Starc and Haze to pitch up and Cummins to attack the body. Considering Starc and Haze have another 4-5 years at the top, Cummins might end up being that kind of bowler which may be short changing his promise.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cummins was only doing that in Australia on the flatter decks. There was an interview recently where he said he'll be bowling differently now that there's lateral movement in SA.

Daemon

When Dale and Makhaya would be given the new ball at the nets to one set of batsmen and Morne would be first change to the next set of batsmen, the guys batting second would complain and said they always seemed to be getting Morne.
I think I've heard Gambhir say that he's the bowler he least liked to face in the entire world as well.

Not hard to imagine tbf, he bowls some extremely uncomfortable deliveries that even if you don't get out to, you don't want to face.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Will he play for WA/scorchers and bolster their already OP fast bowling attack?

Morkel, Behrendorff, Coulter- Nile and Richardson for first class cricket and Morkel, Johnson and Tye for t20 cricket is just nasty. Most international sides aren't that good.

flibbertyjibber

Such a shame that Morkel's retirement will largely be forgotten given the controversies of this series. makes an England v Pakistan series seem like a teddy bears picnic in comparison.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah I always picture McGrath bowling into the deck and getting it bouncing 6-12 inches over the stumps.

Anyway, all I'm saying is I doubt there's a good excuse for Morkel "choosing" to not bowl like McGrath, whatever that means. His shortcomings were shortcomings, not some stylistic choice to not take bags of wickets.
Late to the party but wasn't it New Zealand who neutered him in a series by working out that as challenging as McGrath's natural line and length was, you could actually afford to leave loads of deliveries because he would rarely threaten the stumps bowling naturally?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Quite sad by his international retirement. He has been bowling really well and would have loved to see him more playing for SA.

I wonder how much the selection of coloured players over him in the recent series v India impacted.
You really are ****ing clueless.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
When you consider how highly Jimmy Anderson is rated by a lot of people in comparison, despite having very similarly statistics, it is very unfair
Anderson has the small matter of 530+ Test wickets vs 300.

Anderson's most recent 312 wickets have come at a sub 25 average.