• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

More shuts door on Ganguly

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
Does anyone know what happened to Amit Mishra, the lad from Haryana. I guess he was not ready couple of seasons ago and now no one mentions his name. I think he is still under 25.
He was in the BP XI squad. I reckon he's sixth in the pecking order, after Kumble, Harbhajan, Chawla, Kartik and Powar.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Oh I completely agree with you about dropping Bhajji. I think Chawla might be ready talent-wise, but it's kind of risky to throw in a 17-year old to replace an all-time great, no matter how talented the former is. I'm looking as Chawla as the short-term partner for Kumble and long-term replacement for Kumble. We'll probably see Chawla + Harbhajan/Powar/Mishra a few years down the road. Yes, Bhajji should be dropped because he hasn't been effective in a long time ... maybe he should be given one last chance given his record at Mohali.
Harbhajan is no all time great. As for him not being effective for a long time, did you really watch the Sri Lankan series ? Why not take a look at last 10 series and compare him to Kumble to see who has done better.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Piyush Chawla is the future, but he's not ready to step into Kumble's boots ... he can be tried as the 2nd spinner. We have more-than-adequate competition for Ganguly in the middle-order (yuvi, kaif, raina) which is why we can afford to look to the future. The immediate future isn't as bright in the spin department, but Chawla needs to be brought in very soon so he can be a regular by the end of the year.
For the millionth time Ganguly is OUT of team India. Please do not bring him in this discussion. If you want to talk about the competition in the middle order, it has to be between Sachin, Laxman, Kaif, Yuvraj, Raina and Rao.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanz said:
Jono - I didn't suggest dropping, I just said that selector should have a chat with them and tell them about their performance (Laxman in last 15 testgs averages 31.7, Tendulkar 32.23) against non-minnows. It's not really that outrageous suggestion.

And no I haven't forgotten about Anil's performance against SriLanka, Anil will be 36 in few months, so he cant be our future , can he ?
No doubt very poor performances by VVS and Sachin, can't argue that. I do think they've both been better players than Ganguly in their test career however and have still put in good test performances lately (both scored against SL) whereas Ganguly unfortunately just fell off the boat drastically since the Brisbane ton.

When Kiran More says he is looking for the future, he means you drop the older players who are no longer winning you games for younger players who have showed they can (Dhoni, Yuvraj). Sachin is still at the least still winning us ODIs, and Kumble is winning us tests. Laxman is obviously under question in tests, and is long gone in the ODI form.

C_C

International Captain
There is another spinner from India that i hear is worth keeping an eye on : Shahbaaz Nadeem. I hear that he is a pretty talented spinner...any info on him ??

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanz said:
Harbhajan is no all time great. As for him not being effective for a long time, did you really watch the Sri Lankan series ?.
He was referring to Kumble as a great, not Bhajji.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Also in the news I saw just now that Sharad Pawar said "S.Ganguly will fight and come back into the team. No once can stop this." What is going on here. :wacko:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
There is another spinner from India that i hear is worth keeping an eye on : Shahbaaz Nadeem. I hear that he is a pretty talented spinner...any info on him ??
Kumble, Harbhajan, Chawla, this dude mentioned above....I wonder if India would be willing to trade us Murali Kartik for Kabir Ali...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
Also in the news I saw just now that Sharad Pawar said "S.Ganguly will fight and come back into the team. No once can stop this." What is going on here. :wacko:
What do you expect to hear when media keeps asking same stupid question ??

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
He is from my state, Jharkhand, 16 year old. I think right now he is @ NCA. Those who have watched him, speak very highly of him.

adharcric

International Coach
steds said:
Kumble, Harbhajan, Chawla, this dude mentioned above....I wonder if India would be willing to trade us Murali Kartik for Kabir Ali...
Give us Simon Jones.

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
Harbhajan is no all time great. As for him not being effective for a long time, did you really watch the Sri Lankan series ? Why not take a look at last 10 series and compare him to Kumble to see who has done better.
Are you trying to say that Harbhajan has done better or that Kumble has done better? If the former, then all I have to say is that he only did well in that one match against Sri Lanka. Apart from that, he's bowled a few good spells, but wickets are important, especially at home. If he can't take loads of wickets in India, he's of no use. Kumble has been rather unlucky lately, he could've easily had a 4 or 5-wicket haul in Nagpur 2nd innings.

adharcric

International Coach
In the 05-06 season against non-minnows, Harbhajan averages 52. Kumble averages 39. Pathan averages 40. Those dead-tracks in Pakistan ruined figures, but 52 is still quite a lot.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
In the 05-06 season against non-minnows, Harbhajan averages 52. Kumble averages 39. Pathan averages 40. Those dead-tracks in Pakistan ruined figures, but 52 is still quite a lot.
And ofcourse 39 and 40 are such staggering world class averages 8-) 8-)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
C_C said:
Left arm orthodox. More of the traditional finger spinner - reasonably slow through the air, and turns it a fair bit too. Think he's even younger than Chawla as well.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Are you trying to say that Harbhajan has done better or that Kumble has done better? If the former, then all I have to say is that he only did well in that one match against Sri Lanka. Apart from that, he's bowled a few good spells, but wickets are important, especially at home. If he can't take loads of wickets in India, he's of no use. Kumble has been rather unlucky lately, he could've easily had a 4 or 5-wicket haul in Nagpur 2nd innings.
I am saying that Harbhajan hasn't done much worse than Kumble to be considered an automatic omission.

Against Eng (home)- Bhajji - 86, Anil - 94.5
Against Pak (away)- Bhajji - Nowicket, Anil - 70
Against SL (home) - Bhajji - 22, Anil - 19
Against Pak(home) - Bhajji - 33, Anil - 38
Against SA (home) - Bhajji - 24, Anil - 34
Against Aus(home) - Bhajji - 24, Anil - 25
Against Aus(away) - Bhajji - 169,Anil - 30 (Bhajji Played only 1 test)
Against NZ(home) - Bhajji - 50, Anil - 37

Now tell me who has been the better bowler, I certainly cant pick one.

PS :- This is since 2003 world cup.

C_C

International Captain
Sanz said:
I am saying that Harbhajan hasn't done much worse than Kumble to be considered an automatic omission.

Against Eng (home)- Bhajji - 86, Anil - 94.5
Against Pak (away)- Bhajji - Nowicket, Anil - 70
Against SL (home) - Bhajji - 22, Anil - 19
Against Pak(home) - Bhajji - 33, Anil - 38
Against SA (home) - Bhajji - 24, Anil - 34
Against Aus(home) - Bhajji - 24, Anil - 25
Against Aus(away) - Bhajji - 169,Anil - 30 (Bhajji Played only 1 test)
Against NZ(home) - Bhajji - 50, Anil - 37

Now tell me who has been the better bowler, I certainly cant pick one.

PS :- This is since 2003 world cup.

This shows Kumble to be the better bowler....discounting the current series ( it isnt settled yet), Kumble has outperformed Bhajji in 4 series while Bhajji has outperformed Kumble in 3 series.... plus the times Kumble has outperformed Bhajji, he's done so comfortably ( 37 ave vs 50, 30 ave vs 169, 70 ave vs no wickets and 19 ave vs 22 being the only close one) but where Bhajji has outperformed Kumble, it has been close calls in all but 1 series ( 33 vs 38 and 24 vs 25 are close calls......)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yeah the series in Australia, Bhajji played in only one test (which Kumble didn't play) and In Pakistan Kumble definately performed better with an average of 70. Really outstanding effort. 8-) 8-)