• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohd. Rafique vs Ashley Giles

Who's the better spinner?

• Total voters

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Giles can't be the worst in terms of performance .He did play his part during the ashes 2005, getting wickets at the crucial times against a very potent Australian batting line-up which can't be discounted. Also
seen him do well during the tour of India in 2001. So i guess its not fair enough to compare him with Rafique, who hardly have won a game for his side against quality opposition. However on spinning abilites, both su***.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Atkinson's ability with the ball is very often under-estimated, and he was a handy lower-order biffer as well as an outstanding backward point fielder.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Giles can't be the worst in terms of performance .He did play his part during the ashes 2005, getting wickets at the crucial times against a very potent Australian batting line-up which can't be discounted. Also
seen him do well during the tour of India in 2001. So i guess its not fair enough to compare him with Rafique, who hardly have won a game for his side against quality opposition. However on spinning abilites, both su***.
In the Ashes in 2005 Giles averaged 57.80 with the ball - yuck.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Both quite a bit better than I think a good few people realise, but both at the end of the day fingerspinners (with no more than a little batting skill of note) who were never going to be players of any great significance in the covered-wickets era.

Rafique of course should never have played a match which had Test status and had he not done so I doubt many people would've heard of him. That doesn't change for a second who was the better bowler, obviously, but just to mention.

Rowan Atkinson in all of The Thin Blue Line, The Witches and Johnny English has to have the brilliance that shines through ANYTHING, really, so he's un-not-vote-for-able.