• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitchell Marsh

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
It's always puzzled me that for all the brilliant players that the Aussies have produced since I've been watching cricket, they've never had a really top class all rounder.

Considering we've produced Botham, Flintoff and Stokes- the Aussie cupboard has always been pretty bare.
You didn't produce Ben Stokes. That's like Kiwis saying we produced Colin De Grandhomme.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
You are covering 46 years of cricket with Botham, Flintoff and Stokes. Aus have had their share with Greg Matthews (averages over 40 with bat), Shane Watson and Andrew Symonds while Adam Gilchrist could be considered one of the best all-rounders ever. Then there is Green who has the potential to be better then them all ?
46 years is a long time and in that time the Aussies haven't had a top class all rounder, whilst England have had 3.
Meanwhile the more civilised and educated Australasians to the south have had R Hadlee, C Cairns, Vettori, Oram, De Grandhomme, and now future ATG Michael Bracewell which is far more impressive than the Poms. It the Saffas who win it though with Kallis, S Pollock, and MacMillan. India is also more impressive than England with Kapil and the 2 Ravis.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
You didn't produce Ben Stokes. That's like Kiwis saying we produced Colin De Grandhomme.
He moved to the UK aged 12 mate.......thanks for your input to that point though.

Where as Colin appeared to have left Zimbabwe aged 20 having already represented them on the international stage.......so it's not realy similar is it?

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
He moved to the UK aged 12 mate.......thanks for your input to that point though.
12 years living as a Kiwi, he's basically fully developed since his parents were only temporary in England

Wasn't he also voted Kiwi of the year a little while back?

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Where as Colin appeared to have left Zimbabwe aged 20 having already represented them on the international stage.......so it's not realy similar is it?
In which countries were they "produced" (born and bred)? NZ and Zimbabwe.

Stokes is a proud England representative and De Grandhomme was a proud NZ representative, but nonetheless NZ produced Stokes and Zimbabwe produced De Grandhomme. Pretty simple really.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Errrrrr no. General wisdom here is where they developed as cricketers. This is a cricket forum.....when you say "produced" my thought is not where the guys parents shagged but who produced cricketer.

I won't claim KP for eg but I'm having Ben Stokes.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meanwhile the more civilised and educated Australasians to the south have had R Hadlee, C Cairns, Vettori, Oram, De Grandhomme, and now future ATG Michael Bracewell which is far more impressive than the Poms. It the Saffas who win it though with Kallis, S Pollock, and MacMillan. India is also more impressive than England with Kapil and the 2 Ravis.
So just Hadlee and a bunch of nobodies to make up the numbers, then. Much like NZ sides during Hadlee's career.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Errrrrr no. General wisdom here is where they developed as cricketers. This is a cricket forum.....when you say "produced" my thought is not where the guys parents shagged but who produced cricketer.

I won't claim KP for eg but I'm having Ben Stokes.
I suppose you then don't claim Jofra Archer as English having moved to England to play cricket at 20...or is he English because his Mum "shagged" an Englishman

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I suppose you claim Jofra Archer is also English having moved to England to play cricket at 20...
No.....thats my point. Read what I said......there is no argument that Joffra was produced and developed as a cricketer in the West Indies. What are you arguing against?

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
No.....thats my point. Read what I said......there is no argument that Joffra was produced and developed as a cricketer in the West Indies. What are you arguing against?
Sorry I live in Asia with fast internet and visiting Australia now where my mobile internet is so slow I already changed my post long time before you posted.

I'm saying Jofra with an English dad bringing him up is English. Stokes with 2 Kiwi parents bringing him up, who just happened to work in England a few years, is still Kiwi as parents went back to NZ after job contract finished, he just decided to stay, maybe he liked the pub scene ?

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Sorry I live in Asia with fast internet and visiting Australia now where my mobile internet is so slow I already changed my post long time before you posted.

I'm saying Jofra with an English dad bringing him up is English. Stokes with 2 Kiwi parents bringing him up, who just happened to work in England a few years, is still Kiwi as parents went back to NZ after job contract finished, he just decided to stay, maybe he liked the pub scene ?
So Labuschagne and Neser are S African, Renshaw English and Khawaja Pakistani?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
So just Hadlee and a bunch of nobodies to make up the numbers, then. Much like NZ sides during Hadlee's career.
Which allrounders have Pakistan had since Imran? Afridi, Razzaq, Azhar Mahmoud, and M Hafeez? 3 out of 4 were fine white ball players, but none did that much in tests.