• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Misbah replaces Afridi as ODI captain

Params7

Cricket Spectator
I don't see what the big deal is. Is this a permanent thing and is Afridi playing vs Ireland and still not Captain?

Fusion

Global Moderator
I don't see what the big deal is. Is this a permanent thing and is Afridi playing vs Ireland and still not Captain?
Afridi is in the playing XI against Ireland, he's just no longer the Captain. And as with anything in Pakistan cricket, nothing is "permanent". PCB has a completely ridiculous policy of appointing a Captain on a “series by series” basis. I mean, why promote stability and give any sense of authority to a Captain? That’s not important at all.

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
3 big mistakes.PCB incompetence at its best.

First remove afridi,while he has been tactically uninspiring he's been succesful and stopped the infighting for a while.

2nd appoint misbah ODI captain,a 37 yr old can't be odi captain for any team looking to rebuild.Period,especially when that man's credibility as odi batsman is in question.

3rd mistake,retain afridi as player after removing him as captain.Afridi will be very pissed and as tradition demands in pak cricket expect factions within the team,misbah and afridi factions.Here we go again.

My 2 cents.:sleep:

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
The times pakistan has had most stable and successful periods are when it had a captain who was recognized the best player among the lot.
When imran was captain,there was no one comparable miandad tried but imran was better than all the seniors.
In the wasim waqar period they competed against each other reducing total team effectiveness.
Things again went up under inzi where though younis and yusuf were good players they weren't as good as inzi.

As long as pakistan doesn't have an undisputably best player as captain things tend to get into infighting.

salman85

International Debutant
It has more to do with the respect that the players give the captain than performance IMO.Inzi had a ridiculous purple patch during his tenure,but there was also a time where Yousuf was the undisputed number one player in the team.I think it's got more to do with the father figure image of the captian.Both Imran and Inzi were the oldest players in the side,and where therefore more likely to command respect and authority than anyone else in the dressing room,thus they made good captains.The same logic can be applied to Afridi,whereas he may not be the oldest player in the team,but he is the most experienced one,and he does have the elder brother vibe about him that players like Umar Akmal,Ahmed Shahzad,Mohammad Hafeez,Umar Gul,Asad Shafique,Fawad Alam etc associate with him.Afridi is known as 'Lala' in the team,which is Pushto for 'Elder Brother'.Misbah doesn't seem to have that same thing about him.He's very calm and composed,and perhaps has a better tactical mind than Afridi as captaincy goes,but he doesn't seem to be someone that the players look upto.You could see that with Afridi where everyone would flock around him everytime he took a catch or a wicket.He had the backing of his team.I don't see Misbah having that,and even if he does,it's not as strong as the support Afridi enjoyed from his team on the field.

Last edited: