• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Minnows - Do we need them, do they improve with us?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Bangladesh can no longer be considered a minnow, they have proven several times they can mix it with the best and they will be at least competitive in the super 8's

On the other hand, Ireland may not be as competitive, but if other teams begin to assume that they will whip them and don't actually try, then Ireland could pull an upset. However, if you replay that Ireland, Pakistan game 99 times, I reckon Pakistan would of won at least 98 times, unless the match was fixed of course.

I have no problems with the inclusion of minnows in this world cup, but the fixturing system of this world cup means that the Minnows have to only pull off one flukish, D/L Method upset to advance to the super 8 stage, which is ridiculous. I prefered the old system whereby a couple of wins were required in the group stage, minnows would have to prove more than once, that they are the real deal. Kenya did get to the semi's of the world cup last time though, but courtesy of some D/L wins.

I fear for Ireland during the super 8's, and don't want to see them get smashed, so I hope they can be competitve, since they have qualified for the next phase of the competition.
flukish? ireland still would have beat pakistan without d/l because they got 133 anyways and ireland tied with zimbabwe...this is way better format than last time...you cant go to the semi's without performing and you cant go the the second round without performing either...you have to win 2 games not one...to go to the next round and you have to win atleast four games to go to the semis...so this is good...

slugger

State Vice-Captain
We could have a ranking of the top teams, so you know who the best is, oh wait we've already got that, thats the odi ranking system you can check it out at the icc web page.

but wait what about those teams that'll never get the chance to compete against those 8 test teams, because if you dont give em chance you'll never get those situations like Munster beating the All Blacks, or Sengal Beating France. Fair enough maybe we could have a world cup and invite a bunch of minors that have done well in their league and give them the opportunity the All Blacks gave Munster and FIFA gave Senagal.

Thats why these a world cup Richard, because thats what it is, youve still got your odi ranking system. can you please just surrender to what the concept is.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
what about the fact that they are aiming to make 2011 wc? cricket wasn't played in afghanstan because it was banned there.
Aiming to make the WC is not making progress.

Until they not only do, but start to win a few games, they're not making the sort of level of progress they need to.

Being un-banned is obviously a start, but it's no more than that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
yeah guess what? they do invite all the countries! and then out of that 16 makes it...so if there's spot for 8 countries and all the top 8 automatically qualifies how do you give the other countries to play? So basically all the countries take part in the world cup but you just watch the main part of it.
The qualifiers should be the qualifiers for a reason.

IMO the preliminary group-stage should have been added to the qualifying rounds.
So if they aint the top 8 right now why do you want them in the top 8?
If someone becomes as strong as one of the top 8, then the number is expanded.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The facts like Eoin Morgan and Niall O'Brien?

Both Irish, both good enough to play for a county.

Both playing for Ireland in the World Cup.
The jury is certainly out on Morgan - who is in any case a mere 20 years old.

O'Brien was released from his county not so long ago - which suggests he was hardly doing a fantastic job. We'll wait and see how he goes with his new team.

So you think either of those 2 would have enabled Ireland to do better in the C&G?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Aiming to make the WC is not making progress.

Until they not only do, but start to win a few games, they're not making the sort of level of progress they need to.

Being un-banned is obviously a start, but it's no more than that.
Afghanistan beat Glamorgan II, Essex II and Leicester II in England last summer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
***cellent indeed - as I say, they clearly have far more potential than most nations for the game to genuinely grow big popularity there, rapidly.

But right now they're still just also-rans.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
china women played their 1st internation match not so long ago...and bangladesh is starting their womens team...thats growth...ireland has a system in place to bring out young cricketers fromt the age of 12

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Go on then - what are said facts I'm apparently ignoring?
The ones I mentioned that clearly contradicted what you said about Irish players playing county cricket?

Where you then followed up by telling someone else to get their facts straight?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Less is more says Martin Williamson on CricInfo. He makes a good point, in that he acknowledges that it is good to have Associates in the World Cup, but notes that it's important that there aren't too many.

One of his most notable points is that the ICC Trophy is far too distant from the World Cup.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How many times are people going to say the same thing? 8-) You can either draw a sensible line or you can not draw one at all as far as I'm concerned. 8 is the place to draw it - 16 is as stupid a number as 32.

If you think about it Richard, 32 would probably suit your desires more. You could have the top 8 all seeded into separate groups, and then 24 teams sorted into them. Mind you, India would probably still have lost out to Bangladesh

:laugh:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Less is more says Martin Williamson on CricInfo. He makes a good point, in that he acknowledges that it is good to have Associates in the World Cup, but notes that it's important that there aren't too many.
Couldn't really argue with that. In time, there might be enough decent sides to justify having 16 in the final stages of the WC, but we're clearly not there yet. Far too many turkey-shoots afaics.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Obviously you're ignoring the fact that they play for other counties, which is precisely what you said would stop them from representing Ireland.
The ones I mentioned that clearly contradicted what you said about Irish players playing county cricket?

Where you then followed up by telling someone else to get their facts straight?
Try Irish players who would make Ireland a better side rather than have no effect whatsoever...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And clearly those 2 haven't done anything to help Ireland have they?

Or are you ignoring O'Brien's innings against Pakistan, presumable not enough of a fact for you.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was referring to Morgan - O'Brien is clearly a reasonable batsman.

Nonetheless - it was 1 innings. What exactly are you expecting from him for the rest of the tournament?

Swervy

International Captain
I cant beleive this chatter is still going on.

Richard, why not relax and try and ENJOY the cricket:)