• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Micheal Holding

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The Windies great are just such a strange bunch. They are all immensely proud of the Windies name and I remember someone writing during the 1998 Sharjah series that the Windies team then, led by Lara, used to get their own pitch report from Michael Holding. Same with Ian Bishop once he got into commentary and so much of other help they seemed to only have to ask from folks like Richards, Garner etc. and yet there is so much discord both within the team and with the ex-cricketers even at that time. Just wonder how good they could have been if they had sorted their off field stuff out circa 1995?

Also wonder if Windies could have been Sri Lanka in that 1996 WC Final had Steve Waugh not bowled that magic ball to dismiss Lara?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The West Indies lacked unity and cohesion until the advent of Clive Lloyd. He made the West Indies a true "team" rather than a group of representatives of various Caribbean nations.

steve132

U19 Debutant
The West Indies lacked unity and cohesion until the advent of Clive Lloyd. He made the West Indies a true "team" rather than a group of representatives of various Caribbean nations.
Frank Worrell probably deserves more credit for this achievement, although Lloyd made a substantial contribution.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've been traumatised enough by his incredibly negative commentary over the years to want to subject myself to an hour-long podcast of him.

Kirkut

International Regular
The Windies great are just such a strange bunch. They are all immensely proud of the Windies name and I remember someone writing during the 1998 Sharjah series that the Windies team then, led by Lara, used to get their own pitch report from Michael Holding. Same with Ian Bishop once he got into commentary and so much of other help they seemed to only have to ask from folks like Richards, Garner etc. and yet there is so much discord both within the team and with the ex-cricketers even at that time. Just wonder how good they could have been if they had sorted their off field stuff out circa 1995?

Also wonder if Windies could have been Sri Lanka in that 1996 WC Final had Steve Waugh not bowled that magic ball to dismiss Lara?
It's all intricately part of the culture, the good or not so good. Pakistan had poor slip fielders but that was compensated by toe crushers from Wasim and Waqar.

Burgey

I've been traumatised enough by his incredibly negative commentary over the years to want to subject myself to an hour-long podcast of him.
Rarely says a bad word about the Poms in an Ashes series - knows where his bread is buttered.

Fine bowler. Over rated somewhat imho, but still a great.

TheJediBrah

Kholi and Shewag are popular too
Isn't Shewag another way to spell it or something?

Rarely says a bad word about the Poms in an Ashes series - knows where his bread is buttered.

Fine bowler. Over rated somewhat imho, but still a great.
All I remember is his endless whinging about West Indies being ****

Two of the greatest World Cup finals we never saw imo were SL vs WI in '96 & RSA vs Pak in '99.
Not sure why RSA v Pak in '99 would have been any less one-sided than Aus v Pak was

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Holding was the best of the West Indian greats to watch live from a side on view in terms of run up and bowling action. Loses nothing in comparison with other West Indian greats aside from Marshall. Though the fact that he never played against Pakistan sends stats guru into apoplexy.

Burgey

Yeah was awesome to watch at the ground. Saw him in 79/80 off the long run at the SCG and it was a thing of beauty.