• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Slater in BIG Strife

Arachnodouche

International Captain
My best mate of many years ended up destroying his own life and almost that of his family

He was diagnosed with everything under the sun but IMO his biggest issues were that he refused to believe that he had hit rock bottom and never took responsibility for his own actions

I was completely out of any kind feelings by the time he passed away last year and am not ashamed to say that it was probably a good thing for his kids
Death is the most all-round utilitarian thing that can happen in some cases, especially when there are kids involved. Something else I've noticed is that it isn't rare for those "bereaved" (relieved might be a better more unsentimental term) to paint the person as not-all-bad in retrospect but the harsh truth is in the thick of it, they really were that ****ing bad.

thierry henry

International Coach
Statistically AFAIK it's exceptionally weird for a guy with no record to suddenly become a repeat offender in his 50s. Like vanishingly rare. I say this to make no particular point, just an observation from stuff I've picked up from work.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Statistically AFAIK it's exceptionally weird for a guy with no record to suddenly become a repeat offender in his 50s. Like vanishingly rare. I say this to make no particular point, just an observation from stuff I've picked up from work.
This isn’t a recent development

thierry henry

International Coach
Have no idea but his issues date back to his playing days and contributed to ending his career
Understood. I was really just talking about known criminal offending. I'd imagine most guys who end up offending probably have stuff in their background too (including criminal stuff they got away with), but even accounting for that, it's extremely weird to have no record at 50 and then start accumulating one.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Death is the most all-round utilitarian thing that can happen in some cases, especially when there are kids involved. Something else I've noticed is that it isn't rare for those "bereaved" (relieved might be a better more unsentimental term) to paint the person as not-all-bad in retrospect but the harsh truth is in the thick of it, they really were that ****ing bad.
Hasn’t been the case with my friend

While a kind hearted person who didn’t physically harm a soul, commit crimes, etc, he was just a nightmare and his early passing seemed an inevitable consequence of his own actions

jcas0167

International Debutant
Even pre internet days, at primary school we had heard his nickname was Cybill.
I vaguely remember that and mood swings being mentioned in an article about him in the mid-90's - maybe in Inside Edge or another now defunct sports magazine from that era. It's really sad to read he's ended up like this.