• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Lewis

Craig

World Traveller
Voltman said:
With apologies to that great band, Toto:

It's amazing what brings fire to our eyes
in Rosanna, Rosanna
Like claims Mick Lewis throws a ball or two,
in Rosanna

We would grab Thierry and choke him tight
in Rosanna, Rosanna
For our club man, this is what we would do

Chorus:
How he makes those claims after yesterday, in Rosanna yeah
We will make him really hurt and pay
Beat him all the way, beat him all the way, in Rosanna yeah

You wouldn't say he chucked if he was on the other side
in Rosanna, Rosanna
I didn't know that a poster like him could make me do things so sad,
in Rosanna

What's the bet that Kiwi doesn't want to compromise
Rosanna, Rosanna
I never thought that winning well could ever hurt so bad

Chorus

(Instrumental break)

Chorus

:laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Robertinho said:
Well, a flick of the wrist is a bit different. You hold your wrist back and at the point of delivery you flick it forward to get that "zip". A flick of the arm/elbow is different, Nath :p
Thats the debate though.

Exactly what is being flicked is what is being debated.

Thierry says his elbow is being flicked, and I say the flick of his wrist combined with his innocuous runup, open chested action and high point of delivery create an illusion when viewing him bowl from behind.

Nnanden said:
...I`m so confused.
No youre not... Robertino is.

Josh

International Regular
Prince EWS said:
I dont think hes a chucker, but I can see why someone would think he is.

He action is that of a inswing bowler (and despite this, he doesnt swing the ball in at all - one of the great mysteries of the world) and from behind, it may look as if he is flicking his shoulder in that direction. Basically, it "looks" like hes doing a Blessing Mahwire from behind, but when ytou see it from other angles, you see that its pretty much just his wrist. His elbow is locked in.

I certainly dont think its completely rediculous to bring this up though, because I thought the same thing the first few times I saw him.
Yes, his action has gone through minor adjustments since he joined the Victorian squad because all he used to bowl were inswingers and he realised that won't get him anywhere but being hit to the boundaries at square leg at first class level. So, these minor adjustments, including standing more upright at the crease and wrist position among other things, have enabled him to work the ball away from the right hander instead of straight into them.

Josh

International Regular
benchmark00 said:
I have nothing against Victorians, but i do have something against sub-standard paceman in the international arena.

Note: That includes Bracken.

We should be blooding youngsters in the ODI arena when our big guns are out injured, not 30+ up and downers.
There are barely any young bowlers around the country. Look at the next best bowlers, Wright is 26 or 27, Griffith is the same, Clark 30, Lewis 31, Bichel is what, 33??, Gillespie 31, Kasper?? I mean, it's hard finding a reliable and worthy young bowler to put in the side.

Personally I don't agree with the Mitchell Johnson thing either but that's the way CA want to go and I've really given up my opinions on selection lately because there's not much point.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway, if this flick of the wrist on delivery is so effective in adding pace, why don't all bowlers do it?
Because it's a natural flexibility thing and can't be taught. You either possess the ability or you don't. Shaun Tait is another.

I have nothing against Victorians, but i do have something against sub-standard paceman in the international arena.

Note: That includes Bracken.

We should be blooding youngsters in the ODI arena when our big guns are out injured, not 30+ up and downers.
We are. :)

Anyway, Mick Lewis, just from those numbers alone, isn't sub-standard. Anyone who's watched him for a while would say that whilst no world-beater, Mick Lewis is a very reliable contributor and deserved his go in this instance. He's been up there for a while.

Mind you, if the selectors wanted to play someone and weren't THAT interested in playing a younger player, Michael Kasprowicz would have been a better choice; he's bowling very, very well right now.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Top_Cat said:
Because it's a natural flexibility thing and can't be taught. You either possess the ability or you don't. Shaun Tait is another.
Due to the fact that I'm a fast-medium bowler predominentally I'm happy just to bowl my cutters every ball, however by flicking the wrist I stand to add another five kms onto the speed of my delivery. I generally lose any cut but it's handy for yorkers. :cool:
Top_Cat said:
Anyway, Mick Lewis, just from those numbers alone, isn't sub-standard. Anyone who's watched him for a while would say that whilst no world-beater, Mick Lewis is a very reliable contributor and deserved his go in this instance. He's been up there for a while.
Just like Hodgy (if you can't tell, I'm a Victorian who thinks exactly the same as Top_Cat).
Top_Cat said:
Mind you, if the selectors wanted to play someone and weren't THAT interested in playing a younger player, Michael Kasprowicz would have been a better choice; he's bowling very, very well right now.
Yeah, but so's Bichel and Gillespie. The old farts haven't made way for the young guns... yet.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Due to the fact that I'm a fast-medium bowler predominentally I'm happy just to bowl my cutters every ball, however by flicking the wrist I stand to add another five kms onto the speed of my delivery. I generally lose any cut but it's handy for yorkers.
If you can do that regularly, the ability to bowl a quicker-ball is rare. You'll get plenty of wickets. Just don't over-use it. :)

Yeah, but so's Bichel and Gillespie. The old farts haven't made way for the young guns... yet.
Yeah but in my opinion, Bichel was never truly world-class. He touched it on occasions (his spell against England in the 2003 WC was one of the best spells of bowling I've seen full-stop) but most of the time, he was solid. Gillespie has been world-class for a long time and the signs are there that he's on the way to being back to his best. I don't know if it will result in a call-up but if not, that's fine; if he wins SA the Pura Cup, I'll be happy! Incidentally, if that does occur, I may go a little crazy for a while.......

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Top_Cat said:
Gillespie has been world-class for a long time and the signs are there that he's on the way to being back to his best. I don't know if it will result in a call-up but if not, that's fine; if he wins SA the Pura Cup, I'll be happy! Incidentally, if that does occur, I may go a little crazy for a while.......
You and me both, buddy! :D

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Top_Cat said:
If you can do that regularly, the ability to bowl a quicker-ball is rare. You'll get plenty of wickets. Just don't over-use it. :)
Nah, I wont over-use it. I think the trick is to get my swing going with it... but that's been taking some work and I'm still feeling Glandularated. :sleep:
Top_Cat said:
Yeah but in my opinion, Bichel was never truly world-class. He touched it on occasions (his spell against England in the 2003 WC was one of the best spells of bowling I've seen full-stop) but most of the time, he was solid. Gillespie has been world-class for a long time and the signs are there that he's on the way to being back to his best. I don't know if it will result in a call-up but if not, that's fine; if he wins SA the Pura Cup, I'll be happy! Incidentally, if that does occur, I may go a little crazy for a while.......
Right, I would argue but I happen to agree. Bichel is, in my eyes, solid proof that consistancy is everything. That's why I like him :)