• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Lewis

dinu23

International Debutant
Clarence said:
It is legal because he is bowling in international cricket and hasn't been reported ffs. Common sense please.
If a bowler hasn't been reported, that doesn't mean his action is legal.

cameeel

International Captain
Josh said:
You're the only one who seems to think so.

Come down to Rosanna and say that you'll be likely to have your head smashed in.
Geez, Calm down, he's only passing an opinion, :wacko: :wacko:

dinu23

International Debutant
how much international cricket has he played anyway? just one ODI. lets see what happens.

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
I'll bet he doesn't get reported in his career. He does, I leave the forums for good, he doesn't you leave for good. Up for it?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
With apologies to that great band, Toto:

It's amazing what brings fire to our eyes
in Rosanna, Rosanna
Like claims Mick Lewis throws a ball or two,
in Rosanna

We would grab Thierry and choke him tight
in Rosanna, Rosanna
For our club man, this is what we would do

Chorus:
How he makes those claims after yesterday, in Rosanna yeah
We will make him really hurt and pay
Beat him all the way, beat him all the way, in Rosanna yeah

You wouldn't say he chucked if he was on the other side
in Rosanna, Rosanna
I didn't know that a poster like him could make me do things so sad,
in Rosanna

What's the bet that Kiwi doesn't want to compromise
Rosanna, Rosanna
I never thought that winning well could ever hurt so bad

Chorus

(Instrumental break)

Chorus

Slow Love™

International Captain
Voltman said:
With apologies to that great band, Toto:

It's amazing what brings fire to our eyes
in Rosanna, Rosanna
Like claims Mick Lewis throws a ball or two,
in Rosanna

We would grab Thierry and choke him tight
in Rosanna, Rosanna
For our club man, this is what we would do

Chorus:
How he makes those claims after yesterday, in Rosanna yeah
We will make him really hurt and pay

You wouldn't say he chucked if he was on the other side
in Rosanna, Rosanna
I didn't know that a poster like him could make me do things so sad,
in Rosanna

What's the bet that Kiwi doesn't want to compromise
Rosanna, Rosanna
I never thought that winning well could ever hurt so bad

Chorus

(Instrumental break)

Chorus

Bwahahahaha! This really made me laugh out loud.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
Josh said:
Well he is a club legend. Ok Probly wouldn't have a head smashed in, maybe just laughed at and told to f*** off.
Watch your language Josh (2nd warning).

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mick Lewis is crap though, even if he did bowl one good over, he wouldnt play in the NSW team. As a matter of fact, no Victorian player at the moment should be in the ODI team. Hmmm.

Top_Cat

Mick Lewis is crap though, even if he did bowl one good over, he wouldnt play in the NSW team. As a matter of fact, no Victorian player at the moment should be in the ODI team. Hmmm.
Pura Cup

2005/06: 4 matches, 17 wickets, ave 25.29
2004/05: 8 matches, 38 wickets, ave 22.05
2003/04: 9 matches, 34 wickets, ave 27.85
2002/03: 9 matches, 32 wickets, ave 28.53

ING Cup

2005/06: 2 matches, 3 wickets, ave 29.33, econ 4.40
2004/05: 10 matches, 18 wickets, ave 17.83, econ 3.89
2003/04: 6 matches, 9 wickets, ave 27.55, econ 4.27
2002/03: 7 matches, 8 wickets, ave 31.12, econ 4.52

Whether you like Victoria or not, you have to admit those are some solid figures. For the last few seasons, Lewis has been in the top 5 or 10 bowlers around the country. I think what probably got him selected too was that he's gotten better as each season has rolled-by. Not something that could be said of the up-and-down Bracken or Clark. Lewis may dominate the occasional side but he'll never be a 'great', yes, but as the above shows, it's difficult to fault him on stats alone..

He reminds me very much of Rana Naved; excellent, solid contributor no matter the conditions and never stops trying. Every side needs a bowler like that, even if they're not the very best. For example; would Shoaib in the most recent series against England have been able to attack as often as he did without Mr Dependable at the other end?

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Top_Cat said:
Whether you like Victoria or not, you have to admit those are some solid figures. For the last few seasons, Lewis has been in the top 5 or 10 bowlers around the country. I think what probably got him selected too was that he's gotten better as each season has rolled-by. Not something that could be said of the up-and-down Bracken or Clark. Lewis may dominate the occasional side but he'll never be a 'great', yes, but as the above shows, it's difficult to fault him on stats alone..

He reminds me very much of Rana Naved; excellent, solid contributor no matter the conditions and never stops trying. Every side needs a bowler like that, even if they're not the very best. For example; would Shoaib in the most recent series against England have been able to attack as often as he did without Mr Dependable at the other end?
And that's why Victorians love him :)

thierry henry

International Coach
Prince EWS said:
I dont think hes a chucker, but I can see why someone would think he is.

He action is that of a inswing bowler (and despite this, he doesnt swing the ball in at all - one of the great mysteries of the world) and from behind, it may look as if he is flicking his shoulder in that direction. Basically, it "looks" like hes doing a Blessing Mahwire from behind, but when ytou see it from other angles, you see that its pretty much just his wrist. His elbow is locked in.

I certainly dont think its completely rediculous to bring this up though, because I thought the same thing the first few times I saw him.
Thanks for the sensible comment.

From side-on (they showed a few side-on slow mos) it still looks to me as though the "flick" (I wouldn't describe it as a small one personally, I find it quite noticeable every ball, hence why I mentioned it) is coming at least partially from a bending of the elbow, although admittedly not as marked as it appears from behind at normal speed.

The reason I find it particularly worthy of mention is that it seems to me that most of his pace is derived from this "flick" or "jerk" at the point of delivery. The impression I get is that he ambles in, and then at the last split-second he flicks or jerks or jolts or whatever, and suddenly goes from being a club bowler to an international. Therefore he is gaining an advantage from this irregularity.

Anyway, if this flick of the wrist on delivery is so effective in adding pace, why don't all bowlers do it?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Anyway, if this flick of the wrist on delivery is so effective in adding pace, why don't all bowlers do it?
Its very hard to perfect, and can detract from swing if a bowler is used to bowling without this "flick."

From side-on (they showed a few side-on slow mos) it still looks to me as though the "flick" (I wouldn't describe it as a small one personally, I find it quite noticeable every ball, hence why I mentioned it) is coming at least partially from a bending of the elbow, although admittedly not as marked as it appears from behind at normal speed.
Partially yes, but not any more or less than several bowlers I have seen side on that are rarely questioned. Most bowlers appear to have some "flick" of the elbow when in viewed in slow motion from side on, and Lewis isnt much different.

He definately appears to have a Blessing Mahwire style chucking action from behind in fast motion, so I can see why you have brought this up, but I think this is just because of his innocuous run up, along with his high action which angles the ball into the batsman.

Ive paid particular attention to it for a while when I have seen him in ING Cup Games and matches for Australia A recently, and the side-on view, IMO, shows that his action is as "legal" as most bowlers going around.

To be honest, due to the curious way it looks from behind, it wouldnt shock me to see him get reported during his career, but I think he'll be cleared if they have a proper look at it.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Agreed Rob. :)

Hahah, as gay as it sounds comparing myself to an International bowler, I bowl with the flick of the wrist. I don`t reccomend trying to add it in to your bowling action, I think it`s just something you do. As a result, I don`t tend to get a lot of movement in the air, but it often hits the seam and cuts, and perhaps gets me a little more extra bounce. If I ever get cable internet, I`ll put up a video to try and show you what I mean.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, a flick of the wrist is a bit different. You hold your wrist back and at the point of delivery you flick it forward to get that "zip". A flick of the arm/elbow is different, Nath :p

benchmark00

Top_Cat said:
Pura Cup

2005/06: 4 matches, 17 wickets, ave 25.29
2004/05: 8 matches, 38 wickets, ave 22.05
2003/04: 9 matches, 34 wickets, ave 27.85
2002/03: 9 matches, 32 wickets, ave 28.53

ING Cup

2005/06: 2 matches, 3 wickets, ave 29.33, econ 4.40
2004/05: 10 matches, 18 wickets, ave 17.83, econ 3.89
2003/04: 6 matches, 9 wickets, ave 27.55, econ 4.27
2002/03: 7 matches, 8 wickets, ave 31.12, econ 4.52

I have nothing against Victorians, but i do have something against sub-standard paceman in the international arena.

Note: That includes Bracken.

We should be blooding youngsters in the ODI arena when our big guns are out injured, not 30+ up and downers.

Craig

World Traveller
Well a certain left armer from Queensland has been drafted in, that answers your point?