• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Holding retires from commentary

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I still remember a JAMODI quadrangular at Sharjah and Windies were facing Pakistan in 1997 or so. Geoff Boycott and Mike Holding were the commentators and they were both moaning about keeping a deep square leg (I think) for that particular bowler and how that position is useless. Very next ball, random Pak batsman (Aamir Sohail I think) hits it straight to the man there.

Holding - There ya go, Geoffrey, a wicket for the West Indies. That's why you and I have never been captains.

Somehow this line of commentary has stuck with me for almost 25 years. :laugh:

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
To be fair most ppl would be going on about "back in my day" if they had Holding's career and experiences. Very sad to see him go.

Aritro

International Regular
I still remember a JAMODI quadrangular at Sharjah and Windies were facing Pakistan in 1997 or so. Geoff Boycott and Mike Holding were the commentators and they were both moaning about keeping a deep square leg (I think) for that particular bowler and how that position is useless. Very next ball, random Pak batsman (Aamir Sohail I think) hits it straight to the man there.

Holding - There ya go, Geoffrey, a wicket for the West Indies. That's why you and I have never been captains.

Somehow this line of commentary has stuck with me for almost 25 years. :laugh:
What's supposed to be so useless about a deep square leg? Although it's probably not the most necessary position at Sharjah.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What's supposed to be so useless about a deep square leg? Although it's probably not the most necessary position at Sharjah.
Think they were saying it was giving away an easy single and they should try to keep the batsman on strike as it was after the 15 over powerplay and there was no need for batsmen to play the big shot in that time when 270 was match winning.

Kirkut

International Regular
One of the greats. Even enjoyed his late career grumpiness others found grating. His utter disdain towards t20s was hilariously endearing to me.
Yeah I too fell for the moral superiority of tests over T20s while listening to Holding. But then I am sure Holding would have also played many league cricket games to make a good earning.

Besides for all the bashing IPL gets, it gave us a bowling attack that can take 20 wickets consistently.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
sad to see him go, very much enjoyed his thoughts on many topics.
mine of my biggest complaints about commentators is their unwillingness to say what they think if it’s against the “party line”. Mikey seemed to say what he thought. Also good at being quiet when he needed to. It’s a loss to the game but I hope he enjoys whatever comes next for him.