• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke vs Alastair Cook

Who is the greater test batsman?

• Total voters

howitzer

International 12th Man
I ummed and ahed over this and decided them to be basically equal. Decided to be partizan and go Cook.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Anyone remember how they rated when we did the top 50? Clarke seems like a better player but Cook was more consistent and an opener and far more valuable.

Bolo.

International Captain
I also think that Clarke is a bit underrated. Feel like a lot of his runs had an impact on the matches he played.
IDK about that. Feels like everyone sitting around the 'magical' 50 average mark gets rated very highly, regardless of circumstances.

Clarke is a bit of a walking checklist for me for downgrading a player- mainly easy batting position, home conditions, and era, while being mediocre away.

May have had a lot of impact runs, I'm not sure. He did have a number of really good innings. But there's also a tendency to call lower order bats more impactful when the top flutters a bit.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
IDK about that. Feels like everyone sitting around the 'magical' 50 average mark gets rated very highly, regardless of circumstances.

Clarke is a bit of a walking checklist for me for downgrading a player- mainly easy batting position, home conditions, and era, while being mediocre away.

May have had a lot of impact runs, I'm not sure. He did have a number of really good innings. But there's also a tendency to call lower order bats more impactful when the top flutters a bit.
Clarke was very good v SA. Gets points for that.

howitzer

International 12th Man
Cook's legacy as a leader? He was largely an awful leader for England.
I think awful is probably overstating it but he was below average imo. Captaincy shouldn't be relevant to which one was the better batsman though, and that is the question which was asked.

Chin Music

First Class Debutant
I think awful is probably overstating it but he was below average imo. Captaincy shouldn't be relevant to which one was the better batsman though, and that is the question which was asked.
Ok, I am perfectly happy to say that he was an awful, excruciatingly bad leader for the Ashes 2013/14 tour and the following series at home to Sri Lanka. He also sucked with the bat very badly from the start of the home Ashes series in 2013 until scoring a ton v West Indies in 2015. There was a ton gap of around 2 years and 20 tests. Never the same player from that time on until his retirement.

Coronis

International Coach
Anyone remember how they rated when we did the top 50? Clarke seems like a better player but Cook was more consistent and an opener and far more valuable.
Clarke was ranked 50, Cook did not make the list, we didn’t go beyond 50. The other modern openers (Smith, Sehwag, Hayden) ended up 37th, 40th and 41st respectively.