• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Discussion thread

In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Well one could actually argue that Tendulkar and Ponting aren't really from the same era - Tendulkar after all begun his plateau as a Test marvel a full 11 years earlier than Ponting did.

But then, there's still Dravid I suppose.
They're all from the Cenozoic era, Richard...

howardj

International Coach
I really think Pup needs to do some deep thinking.

If a businessman who earned $1 million per year just from his employer, bailed out of an overseas business trip because his fiance was distressed (there was no emergency, there was no family illness) I think it would be unacceptable.

Likewise, Clarke is in a leadership position and for him to bail out in these circumstances I think was unacceptable. It's fine if he would rather be at home than on a cricket trip, but he should be upfront about that before the tour. Not bail out half way through.

I'm sure the other players in the team, away for such long periods as they are, have many stresses and strains placed on their relationship. For them, they have to battle through it and make the best of the difficult situation. It shouldn't be different for Clarke.

There was no emergency or family illness here.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really think Pup needs to do some deep thinking.

If a businessman who earned $1 million per year just from his employer, bailed out of an overseas business trip because his fiance was distressed (there was no emergency, there was no family illness) I think it would be unacceptable.

Likewise, Clarke is in a leadership position and for him to bail out in these circumstances I think was unacceptable. It's fine if he would rather be at home than on a cricket trip, but he should be upfront about that before the tour. Not bail out half way through.

I'm sure the other players in the team, away for such long periods as they are, have many stresses and strains placed on their relationship. For them, they have to battle through it and make the best of the difficult situation. It shouldn't be different for Clarke.

There was no emergency or family illness here.
There's an emergency if your partner's having a meltdown mate, be it partially self-induced or otherwise.

Who knows what's going on there, but there's word around that they're on the skids.

I take your point, but if that self-same CEO said he needed time away to sort out a family issue, I'd think he'd get it.

I feel sorry for him tbh. He's had, what two partners in eight years - not like he's putting it about ala Warney, and being in the public eye with his various flings. I think her/ their biggest mistake was doing this magazine thing - difficult to cop the 200 large or whatever it is for your "story" then ask for privacy.

They're kids ffs (well she is anyway, and sure was when the pic was taken), it's easy to forget that. Hope they sort it out, one way or t'other asap. Need him in good form for the challenges ahead, and she looks good in the Aston Martin when she drives it around town.

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not that it makes a huge difference (because I do agree with your point) but I'm sure i'd read that she's donating the entire mag fee to a children's charity.

Hopefully they can get it sorted out though as you say, need Clarkeh in form for upcoming Ashes (and because I can't imagine it's exactly fun having your name/private life dragged through the media for whatever reason)

howardj

International Coach
There's an emergency if your partner's having a meltdown mate, be it partially self-induced or otherwise.

Who knows what's going on there, but there's word around that they're on the skids.

I take your point, but if that self-same CEO said he needed time away to sort out a family issue, I'd think he'd get it.

I feel sorry for him tbh. He's had, what two partners in eight years - not like he's putting it about ala Warney, and being in the public eye with his various flings. I think her/ their biggest mistake was doing this magazine thing - difficult to cop the 200 large or whatever it is for your "story" then ask for privacy.

They're kids ffs (well she is anyway, and sure was when the pic was taken), it's easy to forget that. Hope they sort it out, one way or t'other asap. Need him in good form for the challenges ahead, and she looks good in the Aston Martin when she drives it around town.
I guess I am just speculating obviously, as I'm not involved in their relationship, but is she really having a psychological meltdown? As was written in the paper today:

And how much support does she really need from her fiancee, when last week she was quite happy to have celebrity agent Max Markson by her side to guide her through her trauma and sell her to anyone who would taker her?

Thanks to Markson's skills, Bingle was quite happy to bare her soul to the same magazine that bared her boobs the week before - for a price of course.

But all of a sudden, with the interview done, the writ filed and amateur snapper Brendan Fevola suitably chastised by the world and the AFL, Bingle now needs her man by her side?

Nobody is saying cricket must come before family - everybody has a right to choose. But, when you're shouldering the responsibilities of being vice-captain, I just think the only time you should be allowed leave is when there is an emergency or family illness. Otherwise, maybe touring life is not for you, which is fine. Nobody is compelled to cricket for Australia, but once you decide to, then a certain level of committment is required.

And why couldn't she fly over there and join him?

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Yeh, amazing how quickly public opinon has turned too. When it was her and Fev, she was a homewrecking slut. Now she's an unstable petal who so desperately needs her man by her side, he shoots through from NZ. Not buying either, tbh.

Doing the mag was a terrible idea. Not as if Fev was in the news making a series of claims that needed to be answered, he just sent around a nuddy pic of her to all his mates. Motifying for her but the classy response would have been to offer little comment in the press whilst quietly suing him.

howardj

International Coach
I really like Clarke, I think he's a very good natured guy.

But guys like Slats had to tough it out when his marriage was disintegrating.

There was no leave pass for him - as there was no emergency as such and no family illness.

Burgey

Yeh, amazing how quickly public opinon has turned too. When it was her and Fev, she was a homewrecking slut. Now she's an unstable petal who so desperately needs her man by her side, he shoots through from NZ. Not buying either, tbh.

Doing the mag was a terrible idea. Not as if Fev was in the news making a series of claims that needed to be answered, he just sent around a nuddy pic of her to all his mates. Motifying for her but the classy response would have been to offer little comment in the press whilst quietly suing him.
Agree that would have been the best response by far mate. She's been terribly advised through this. I do wonder whether Clarke had any input into that decision at all.

Still and all, I can understand his leaving the tour. If she's in a bad way, for whatever reason, well I can't say I blame him for going. And if they're on the skids, well the longer they leave it, the worse it will be for them both.

Burgey

I really like Clarke, I think he's a very good natured guy.

But guys like Slats had to tough it out when his marriage was disintegrating.

There was no leave pass for him - as there was no emergency as such and no family illness.
Yeah, and look how he ended up - pissed on stage with Barnes belting out Khe Sanh; piublic brain snap at Dravid in India; loss of form and dropped from the side as he lost it. Had a mental illness too tbf.

Steve Waugh says one of his biggest regrets was the way the Slats thing was handled. Maybe that partially explains the very different approach they're taking with Clarke here.

If Tony Abbott supported paid leave of absences for family issues, you'd be right behind it! :p

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Yeah, and look how he ended up - pissed on stage with Barnes belting out Khe Sanh; piublic brain snap at Dravid in India; loss of form and dropped from the side as he lost it. Had a mental illness too tbf.

Steve Waugh says one of his biggest regrets was the way the Slats thing was handled. Maybe that partially explains the very different approach they're taking with Clarke here.

If Tony Abbott supported paid leave of absences for family issues, you'd be right behind it! :p
haha

I just think one has to be mindful that it's a team sport and the rules you set for this sort of thing must be applied equally or it can cause resentment real quick. As I say, I'm sure all the guys at some stage have strains on their relationships as they are away for such long periods. I would hate to think that the daily stresses and stains (or anything other than an emergency) was enough to get any team member a leave pass from a tour. I guess, when I think about it, I'm more alarmed that you'd be allowed leave (especially if you're the VC) for this sort of thing, than I am alarmed at Clarke's behaviour.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've been impressed with Clarke's captaincy of the t20 side (innovative and mature) but I dont think this latest episode will do his chances of succeeding Ponting as test captain in the near future any good at all

I know for a fact that certain senior people at CA regarded his relationship as an unwanted distraction as early as the summer before the last Ashes tour and this will have done nothing to alleviate that feeling

Having said that, it's interesting that even guys like Roebuck and Chappelli, whilst not supporting his actions, have both said that he is basically a nice young guy so, as usual, it's all the woman's fault :laugh:

howardj

International Coach
He should take Erina Lea Connelly back.

She seemed a reserved, modest young lass.

Here for you Pup, if you want to talk.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I can't help but wonder if he knew about this before Sunday's match. The shot he played on Sunday to get out was so odd... not the shot a man fully concentrating on the match would normally play.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounds like he should persuade her to leave that manager quickly. I don't understand why you'd 'reward' a magazine for publishing a photo like that of you with an interview the next week. And all that 'women's rights' stuff I think is pretty icky from someone who basically makes her money from the fact that blokes drool over her.

That said, I don't think he was really right to leave, but given he wanted to leave I think the team were right to let him, it's only fair if he feels he has to go. Though I would be very surprised if he misses a test match.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Non issue for me, so long as it doesn't affect his long term availability. If it does, he can't really be considered for selection or certainly as VC or C-designate. But long term effects seem unlikely.

Sir Alex

Banned
If he skips the test matches (ODIs are no big deal). then I'd be mad at him. Either take a sabbatical and sit at home and work on your relationship or concetrate fully on cricket.