• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Meet Kyle Jamieson, a 6’8 James Anderson

James

Cricket Web Owner
Almost like @Howsie knew something because Jamieson said in the post-match interview - "I've been looking at Anderson and Broad and how they attack left-handers and have brought that to my game".

jcas0167

International Debutant
given we all thought he was slow i think he added pace last summer. not sure how quick he was during his call up to aus, but given it was a bit out of the blue i think the selectors saw the pace increase and said yep get him in the squad for polishing.
Yeah, from his comments before his test debut it sounded as though he had been working on adding pace since he had been working with Heinrich Malan who was coaching him for NZA and at Auckland.

Yeah, for sure [looking to get quicker than an average of 130kph]," he said. "I'm still a long way off where I want to be as a bowler and as a cricketer. The stuff that I started to work on with Auckland, with Heinrich [Malan, his coach at Auckland and New Zealand A], I think in the next year or so I'm going to make massive strides."...

Heinrich the last six-eight months, he's been massive. His knowledge around bowling has certainly opened my eyes. I think those two from a bowling point of view have been massive."

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
He's very very good. There's nothing easier then getting on the hype train, but wow! The amount of skill he has is phenomenal

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just realised he's taken 7 5fers in 7 FC games this season. Ridiculous, especially given that in 3 of those games he was sharing the stage with the 3rd and 4th ranked bowlers in the world.

Aritro

International Regular
Is this the greatest all-round start to a test career ever?

Also he's now played two more matches than Barry Richards did. Bloke should just retire now tbh. Nothing he does in life will ever surpass the status he'll have after fifty years of reverential mythmaking about what he could have amounted to.

1609937766994.png

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Kyle Jamieson after 6 matches:
Mat
Inns
Overs
Mdns
Runs
Wkts
BBI
BBM
Ave
Econ
SR
5​
6/48
11/117

Vernon Philander after 6 matches:
Mat
Inns
Overs
Mdns
Runs
Wkts
BBI
BBM
Ave
Econ
SR
6/44
10/102

Striking similarity in their stats. Jamieson played all 6 tests at home. Philander had played 4 in SA and 2 in NZ at that stage. Will be interesting to see how Jamie goes outside home. Both can bat too though Jamie has started with a much better batting average, their first class batting averages fairly similar.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Glad NZ fans finally have a proper great bowler to big up after pretending Boult was World XI material for the last 5 years.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Shane Bond arrived likewise and didn't disappoint. Maybe not as quick but brings lots to the table. He can only do what he can with the conditions provided so no point in wondering how he'd go overseas in unhelpful conditions. It's quite predictable he won't be taking five fers like he's doing now but will contribute enough with both bat and bowl. Couple of wickets here and there and few fifties will still place him quite well in the team. He's here for a long haul there's no doubt about that.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kyle Jamieson after 6 matches:
Mat
Inns
Overs
Mdns
Runs
Wkts
BBI
BBM
Ave
Econ
SR
5​
6/48
11/117

Vernon Philander after 6 matches:
Mat
Inns
Overs
Mdns
Runs
Wkts
BBI
BBM
Ave
Econ
SR
6/44
10/102

Striking similarity in their stats. Jamieson played all 6 tests at home. Philander had played 4 in SA and 2 in NZ at that stage. Will be interesting to see how Jamie goes outside home. Both can bat too though Jamie has started with a much better batting average, their first class batting averages fairly similar.
Jamieson is too much of an alpha to fake injuries on flat wickets though

Immenso

Just realised he's taken 7 5fers in 7 FC games this season. Ridiculous, especially given that in 3 of those games he was sharing the stage with the 3rd and 4th ranked bowlers in the world.
Probably won't play another FC game this season.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That is ridiculous. Outrageously good.

We're going to have a battle on our hands keeping this guy fit and ensuring we get the best out of him. I don't think he has a particular background of injuries (?) and he's a bloody well built guy, but he is going to shoulder a huge load. IPL will want him big time. He's now our #1 strike bowler in Tests, and will be a T20/ODI mainstay.

Howsie

International Captain

, Kyle Jamieson bowled very full, swung the ball massively, touched 87mph/140kph, while delivering it from 2.3 metres which is 30cm higher than a standard seam bowler. His Test bowling average is 14.13. This is a scary collection of skills in one person. If you were designing a creature in a lab to be a perfect seamer, this is pretty close to what you'd choose

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Good bit of commentary on him from Bishop on day 3, about how batsmen will find his inswinger easier to spot if he keeps bowling it so much. India obviously were waiting for it with the way they played him on day 2. Will always be fantastic for mopping up tailenders though.

Last edited:

nzfan

Good induction to the team, although Wagner, Southee and Boult are in fine form they're not getting any younger. There's Matt Henry and few others who are more or less of the same age but I'm hoping we start looking at Ben Sears. Sears doesn't have to play every game but get him in while these four are in the squad. Someone is going to run out of steam in the next year or two.