• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Meaningless and stupid cricket statistics

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Easy, you gain points for walking like Gilly, you lose points for excessive appealing and attempted mankads

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's just something so immediately recognisable about Rubel Hossain's stats. Can't quite put my finger on what it is.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
For once you've written something that is both sensible and that I agree with. Not all hope is lost.

That would do what strike rate does already.
SR is number of balls taken per wicket, can work it out through simple division but a more to the point stat. Either avg and sr are enough. WPM is just a way for losers to rank some bowlers higher :laugh:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"WPM is just a way for losers to rank some bowlers higher."

While there is some merit in this statement, it is a stat which explains why a bowler is so important to a team. Cases in point are Muralitharan and Hadlee who, to a certain extent, 'carried' their teams' attacks.
ie, a stat that shows how good a bowler was relative to the rest of his team's bowlers / how much he bowled

that's all it is, yet people treat it as if it means a bowler is better than another bowler

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Isn't 5 WPM generally considered one of the key criteria for distinguishing an ATG bowler from an ATVG or am I just ********

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Isn't 5 WPM generally considered one of the key criteria for distinguishing an ATG bowler from an ATVG or am I just ********
List of notable non-ATG bowlers by this criteria:
Davidson
Marshall
Garner
Ambrose
Adcock
Laker
Cummins
Trueman
McGrath
Bumrah
Donald