• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McGrath targets 2009 Ashes

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's possible. He was bowling as well as he ever has between the tour of India and the Ashes, and if he comes back in the same vein I can't see why he wouldn't be able to play for 2-3 more years.

Hadlee played until he was 40, and they're fairly similar bowlers.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Thats true, if he drops ODI cricket after the world cup who knows, he may well & play to 40..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
It's possible. He was bowling as well as he ever has between the tour of India and the Ashes, and if he comes back in the same vein I can't see why he wouldn't be able to play for 2-3 more years.

No disrespect to NZ, but you blokes have a rather deeper talent pool.

Obviously it's possible, but he's got a lot of miles on the clock &, even if he gives the one-dayers away, he'll have a lot more come 2009.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
I'd like to laugh it off but you know barring serious injury...

It's not like he relies on pace...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Knowing McGrath he'll probably do it.

The health of his wife, may be the only thing that stops him.
yea i'd agree he is supremely fit, pretty much the fittest fast bowler i've seen other than Walsh.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:

And that was your
post # 10000

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Thats a lot of very sensible posts.​

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
No disrespect to NZ, but you blokes have a rather deeper talent pool.
No doubt, but Hadlee's performance didn't really drop off. He took 5 wickets a test at an average of 23 in his final year, though he was actually 39. Basically his only bad year was '89, when he only played 2 tests. Aside from that, he didn't average over 25 for a single year after his 30th birthday.

McGrath is quite fit, relies more on consistency than pace and has an easy action. If there's any guy in the world who is going to still be good enough to command a test place on his 40th birthday, it's him.

Well, maybe Murali and Warne too. ;)

luffy

International Captain
He is still bowling good but i feel he needs to stand back and let the young players get some more experienced eg Shaun Tait

Tormented

Cricket Spectator
McGrath is obviously just talkin himself up. He always talks **** in the media before a series. There's no reason why he couldn't do it though. Players today are a lot fitter than say 30 years ago. Cricket is their job and they train hard and maintain a high level of fitness. Back in the day they were basically amateurs. Think of how far "sports medicine" and training/fitness techniques have come. Playing to 40 these days with the knowledge we have of how to correctly train and maintain your fitness is probably the equivilant of playing till your early to mid 30's back in the day.