• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matthew Hayden vs Kumar Sangakkara

Gun to your head, which do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

shortpitched713

International Captain
Usually I don't do opener vs mid order bat debates, but this is a comparison between two batsmen that CW loves to slag off and underrate.

Not sure who I'd choose between the two. I think Sanga has the better peak, and would have an even better overall batting record if he hadn't started his career as a WK-bat. However, Hayden is the opening behemoth of the 21st century.

I'll probably choose based on which side makes the crappier arguments in favor of their preferred bat, and choose the other, lol.

BazBall21

International Regular
Sangakkara.

Graeme Smith is highly rated on CW so he would have got a few votes against Sanga. Can’t see anyone barring a couple of Aussies and Himanov voting Hayden.

shortpitched713

International Captain
So, from this thread we find out that Matthew Hayden is probably definitively the most underrated batsman on CW. I mean, I suspected such a thing given the results of the poll against Smith and Sehwag, but still color me a bit surprised.

Hayden to me, encapsulated Aussie dominance. Sure Punter was the more gifted batsman in that Australian side, but Hayden was every bit as intimidating to face, and arguably more important being the opener, having got Australia off to the races so often.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
So, from this thread we find out that Matthew Hayden is probably definitively the most underrated batsman on CW.
Nah. Hayden’s a great batsman but Sanga is just clearly better, idk how you expected this comparison to go. If I made a Tendulkar vs Ponting thread would we start claiming Ponting is the most underrated batsman on CW?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
both are utter pricks.

Sanga because he didn't let his ego get better of him and never managed to get himself drowned.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Nah. Hayden’s a great batsman but Sanga is just clearly better, idk how you expected this comparison to go. If I made a Tendulkar vs Ponting thread would we start claiming Ponting is the most underrated batsman on CW?
Fair enough. I think it's closer than most seem to have it, because I really value the opening batsman role, and the production of these two is more comparable to me if you take that into account. But to each their own.